UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2022, 9:15 pm   #1
allan123
Diode

Default Icom IC-H10

I have recently got hold of a few of these radios that will be used by the local Raynet for business light by non amateur members but they have only been programmed for one frequency. I read the previous posting about these radios and have the diagram for the interface but cant find a source of the program required. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 18th Jun 2022, 9:34 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Icom IC-H10

Hello Allan, I have this but you will need a computer which can run DOS and has a real serial com port. Windows computers up to Win 98SE had a 'DOS Prompt' terminal which I think the software will happily run in so if you have a DOS/Win 3.1, Windows 95 or Windows 98 machine handy then you should be OK.

If you don't have the means to run DOS software you can send me ONE of your H10 radio bodies and I can programme it to your requirements and you can then clone that reprogrammed radio to all of the others with a simple 2.5mm to 2.5mm stereo 'crossover' cable.

Unfortunately this would have to wait a little while as I am away from base camp for a week or so and that's where the software is.

Have you looked to see if CHIRP (popular, free, radio programming software) supports the Icom H10?
Old 20th Jun 2022, 9:57 pm   #3
allan123
Diode

Thanks I have a very old pc sat in a box that may work. Currently only channel one is programmed on them luckily its a frequency we hold a licence to use.
I have the diagrams to build the programming and cross over cables but as we only intend to use them on the business licence frequencies I would rather get one done and clone the others as I don't see us ever changing the programming.
if you can do it it would be very appreciated.
allan
Old 20th Jun 2022, 10:28 pm   #4
allan123
Diode

Just heard back from one of the raynet group members that he has a suitable pc with the correct port so hopefully I can get a copy of the software and he will build the cables.
allan
Old 22nd Jun 2022, 9:34 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Not a problem, as said I am away from HQ just now but I will PM you when I get back there and hopefully we can sort it out from there.

If for any reason you can't get the software or an interface up and running I'd be happy to programme one body for you which you can then clone to the others from.

They are still nice radios although quite large and heavy by modern standards of course - they are from the era when Icom still held their battery packs together with screws rather than welding them together, making very easy to re-cell the battery packs with new NiMH cells.
Old 25th Jun 2022, 10:05 am   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Ref post#3. "business licence frequencies".
Do these meet the current specification? They are quite old radios.
Rob
Old 25th Jun 2022, 6:02 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I'm not sure but I think that as long as they were originally UK type approved (these were) they can continue to be used for as long as they keep working.
Old 25th Jun 2022, 6:49 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I'm not sure but I think that as long as they were originally UK type approved (these were) they can continue to be used for as long as they keep working.
Not necessarily so. OK if you're reworking old PMR stuff to operate on the amateur bands - and have a 'full' license - you can pretty much do what you like so long as it doesn't crash Mrs. Bucket's TV reception.

If you're going to be operating on current PMR frequencies, with a PMR license, your gear needs to be compliant with current standards. A couple of decades back I had to junk a load of such gear because its manufacturer-specified frequency-accuracy was 'questionable' under the then-current criteria.
Old 25th Jun 2022, 11:33 pm   #9
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I haven't trawled through the relevant documentation to see if it says 'equipment used for this (business light) service must comply with specification MPTxxxx, how long has the business light service been a thing? The H10 dates back to the early to mid nineties, or at least that was when we acquired ours new.

This is somewhat a moot point since the OP is already using these radios on the service, therefore has already concluded that they are suitable for it.
Old 26th Jun 2022, 11:22 pm   #10
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Back at base now and have located the relevant files, so, Allan, you have a PM.
Old 28th Jun 2022, 5:37 pm   #11
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Those materials are on the way to you now, Allan. Good luck!
Old 4th Jul 2022, 8:02 pm   #12
allan123
Diode

Thanks for the help on the software front. Now trying to deal with the battery packs I have ten so will be rebuilding eight and converting two into battery eliminators for use in vehicles when I can work out how to get around the battery chemistry problem they are ni-cad cells so will have to be swapped for something else and then sort a way of charging them out. it never ends with old kit.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 9:09 am   #13
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I've put the necessary bits onto a CD and then tried copying them from there onto an ancient Win98 Laptop I have here at work and running the software through a 'DOS Prompt' box, it runs up OK. I'll put the CD in the post to you later today.

My own IC-H10 battery packs already have NiMH cells in them - the current limiting circuit built into the packs will work just about as well for NiMHs as for Nicads, or so I have found. The original cells were probably not more than 600-900 mAH rated and any NiMH replacements you fit will probably be higher rated, so they will take longer to charge.

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 5th Jul 2022 at 9:15 am.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 9:19 pm   #14
allan123
Diode

Thanks more useful info now just have to get 64 NiMH batteries and be good to go.
Closed Thread