UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2022, 5:08 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Repairing Bakelite with areas missing

I realise that the subject has been covered before, so links would also be welcome. I have a 1930s brown Bakelite set with a large crack that leads to an edge, and there's a triangular chunk about 3.5cm missing from that area. The crack has already been repaired, but I need to replace that missing area so I'm seeking to find the best method to replace it. Clearly it requires a hard setting filler (Araldite, Isopon seem popular) doped with a brown colourant of some kind. In terms of the latter, it's a matter of knowing what products (pigments, paint of various types) are the best ones to match the filler. Has anyone successfully infilled a missing area and can share their experiences? Photos would be great. Thanks.
Old 31st May 2022, 6:20 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Repairing Bakelite with areas missing

Position the cabinet so that you can fill the missing piece from the inside. This is because it will minimise sanding and consequent further damage to the outside. Cut a piece of card that will cover the hole and cover that will clingfilm. Tape that firmly over the hole from the outside, and drip Isopon or any car body filler into the hole from the inside. Whilst still wet, support the card with one hand and gently pat the filler with a fingertip to make sure the hole is fully covered. When dry remove the card, and if there are any missing bits fill with fresh mixture. Sand gently until the surface is absolutely smooth, and then use artists' acrylic paint to colour match. Don't add anything to the filler when mixing, as it will affect the strength and setting time. The advantage of acrylic is that it is removable with water if the colour is not right. When you are happy with the colour, give the repair a coat of acrylic varnish, either matt, satin, or a mixture of both.

Barry
Old 31st May 2022, 6:28 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Some hints in post 3 here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=131773
Old 31st May 2022, 6:39 pm   #4
fetteler
Octode

Milliput is good stuff, sets rock hard, polishes up nicely and is available in several colours. I have sucessfuly mixed colours in the past and got a pretty good match for brown bakelite. Black bakelite is easy as one of the standard colours is black.
Old 1st Jun 2022, 7:21 pm   #5
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
Position the cabinet so that you can fill the missing piece from the inside. This is because it will minimise sanding and consequent further damage to the outside. Cut a piece of card that will cover the hole and cover that will clingfilm. Tape that firmly over the hole from the outside, and drip Isopon or any car body filler into the hole from the inside. Whilst still wet, support the card with one hand and gently pat the filler with a fingertip to make sure the hole is fully covered. When dry remove the card, and if there are any missing bits fill with fresh mixture. Sand gently until the surface is absolutely smooth, and then use artists' acrylic paint to colour match. Don't add anything to the filler when mixing, as it will affect the strength and setting time. The advantage of acrylic is that it is removable with water if the colour is not right. When you are happy with the colour, give the repair a coat of acrylic varnish, either matt, satin, or a mixture of both.

Barry
Follow Barry's advice and you won't go wrong.

The Isopon can be supported from the inside with some of that aluminium mesh you can buy for car body repairs.

Once you have the filler set then I've used decreasing grit size of wet & dry ending up with some 2000 grade - an awful lot of rubbing but it's worth it to obtain a smooth surface.

If it is a standard brown Bakelite case then I've found that Halfords Vauxhall Brazil Brown spray paint is almost a perfect match. I tend to give the whole case an initial spray of grey primer with a couple of top coats of the Brazil Brown - once again sanding down between coats.

As a final flourish I apply a natural Beeswax polish.