UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2022, 9:58 pm   #1
Buzby123
Heptode

Default Use and abuse of vintage peripherals

The post in the 'wanted' forum looking for paper to fit a chopper bar recorder reminded me that I used to have one.

Don't know where it came from, and don't know where it's gone to, but I do remember what I did with it.

After doing all the usual plotting temperatures and light levels, I then built the World's slowest dot matrix printer, driven by Micky of course.

What other unusual peripherals did you use, abuse, or non-sensibly repurpose in your vintage systems ?
Old 1st Jun 2022, 10:57 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Use and abuse of vintage peripherals

I don't know if you could call it a 'peripheral' exactly but I repurposed the transmitter and receiver portion of an ultrasonic remote control project (plus a valve scope which I had just acquired) as a primitive range finding 'radar.' My MK14 was pressed into service as the transmitter pulse generator. Of course you can buy the equivalent for a few quid now in tool shops.

It's not unusual to hear of people using the stepper and slide mechanism from a document scanner or large printer as a moving camera mount for use in time lapse photography, or for 'focus stacking', usually (nowadays) controlled by something like a Pi or Arduino.
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 9:16 am   #3
cmjones01
Nonode

I did try attaching an ORP12 photocell to the print head of our Canon PW-1080A dot matrix printer and then printing blank lines to use it as a scanner, but the response of the cell was too slow to make the results useful. Both printer and photocell survived to tell the tale!

Chris
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 10:50 am   #4
Phil__G
Octode

I suppose you could call it "peripheral chip abuse" - our Casu CP/M boxes had only two serial ports, one of which was taken by the console. We needed more serial outputs so I did four extra software uarts by bit-banging the SIO RTSA&B and DTRA&B pins, does that count?
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 10:57 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Not really, that's just ingenious and skilful use of existing resources. Using a serial port to generate video as Karen O did, well...
Closed Thread