UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2022, 8:56 am   #1
spamfritter
Pentode

Default Sanyo VTC 5000 power unit

In parallel with wresting with a 5300 I also dug out a pair of VTC5000's that I have had hidden away since my house move 6 years ago. One I have cleaned up, re belted and tweaked up the idlers etc as per excellent info from previous posters on this site. Once I had understood that the way this rewinds / unlaces etc I realise it is working well and I am just waiting for a new idler assembly to appear from Australia to polish off the job. The second is a bit more fun. I re belted this and also the PSU was playing up so I changed all the capacitors to low ESR ones and all appeared to be going well. Left it on soak test but now the machine is dead . It looks like the fuse is OK but the magic smoke has escaped ! PSU now out on the bench and awaiting further inspection.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 12:54 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Sanyo VTC 5000 power unit

Hi.
This is a good old linear power supply and generally very reliable. Regarding caps any that were changed in their service life were 105c rated and correct value. We never had an ESR meter in those days but just looked at the ripple on the scope. This was the deciding factor whether to replace or not.
I've heard that extremely low ESR rated caps can cause issues with surges in some power supplies, I can't say yae or nae though, I suppose it's possible. IMHO I always fit like for like whenever possible.
Old 17th May 2022, 2:36 pm   #3
spamfritter
Pentode

Default Re: Sanyo VTC 5000 power unit

The first one sorted ! Couple of capacitors changed plus a full set of belts etc from Melbourne Australia (not joking) and it it operational. Plays my old pre recorded tapes well via the RF output and the analogue ports. All it needs now is a wipe over with a damp rag to clean it up and it will be put into my working kit rack.

Now I have to convince the second one to work which looks to be more of a problem.
Closed Thread