UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2022, 2:32 pm   #1
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Default Ferguson - Thorn 980

I bought this set at retrotech last Sunday. The seller did say it was working but I always buy on the assumption it’s not.
It’s in excellent condition apart from a small scratch on the screen.
The seller was right it did work . I only powered it up for a few mins . The only thing I have done is replaced a Callens Cap and the mains filter cap. I think it might be prudent to replace all the blue doublers as a few are split.
It appears totally original apart from a crack on the PC board that’s been repaired.
I was lucky as I already had the service manual.
Does anyone recommend any other repairs or upgrades or just leave it at that . Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A111368-850D-452E-A87D-825A06EE7679.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	257036   Click image for larger version

Name:	AEF809A3-8059-4943-B0C8-B2682BAED001.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	257037  
Old 12th May 2022, 3:41 pm   #2
Tantanometer
Triode

Default Re: Ferguson - Thorn 980

Over the years, there have been several posts about this chassis and I would heartily agree with the general consensus which is to replace all the resistors and all the capacitors. Every single one of them. The problem is that this set runs very hot due to being so compact.

Mine "worked" when I first got it but the line and frame hold kept drifting the width was excessive and the frame linearity was impossible to correct. Almost every resistor had significantly changed in value, many were double their marked value, a few had reduced in value. Most of the yellow capacitors couldn't be tested because, despite using an pumped de-soldering machine, their leads fell out when they were removed. Many of the blue capacitors were already cracked. The only capacitor that didn't need replacing was the main HT reservoir and smoothing block. I also had to replace the VDR in the width circuit and some of the pre-set pots.

Having replaced everything I was rewarded with an excellent picture, one of the best performing 405 line sets in my collection but, to be fair, also the youngest. Well worth the effort of restoring.

Len
Old 12th May 2022, 5:43 pm   #3
slidertogrid
Octode

Whilst I don't disagree with what Len has said sometimes depending on where the resistor is in the circuit, the fact that it has risen in value sometimes doesn't matter much.
The A640 I repaired recently had various faults a lot of which were down to resistors being high or open. Every resistor I checked was high or miles out. I replaced the ones causing problems but a lot of the originals remain and I bet if I tested one at random it would be out of tolerance at least.
The same with leaky capacitors sometimes it doesn't matter. Not when they are split or falling off their lead-out wires though! As yet the I.F and sound amp panel is still all on it's original parts with the exception of one electrolytic capacitor and it works fine but I bet the resistors will test high and the caps leaky.... Plus of course if it develops faults in the future I get to play with it again!
Rich
Old 12th May 2022, 10:21 pm   #4
Richard_FM
Octode

These must have been one of the last 405 line only sets available.

I imagine many would have been used as second sets up to the switch off with only BBC2 & Channel 4 unavailable.
Old 13th May 2022, 1:55 am   #5
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Len and Rich . Thanks .
I changed most of the capacitors tonight . Tested a few random resistors and only found one out of spec. What’s all the fuss about changing all these resistors. Anyway switched on and had a great picture for about 20 mins . Then what you said made sense. Frame hold needed constant adjustment every 5 mins and increase in hight.
I will get cracking with new resistors . Maybe not in the IF and sound stage for now. It might take me abit of time. Andy
Old 13th May 2022, 9:26 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
These must have been one of the last 405 line only sets available.
I imagine many would have been used as second sets up to the switch off with only BBC2 & Channel 4 unavailable.
During the week following the 405 switch off I had around six 980's brought it for service. They all landed up in my junk shed at the shop and were passed on to 405 enthusiasts over the years. One was given to the guy that designed all the Thorn tuners and to a large part the 980 itself.

I retained a scruffy one and it still gets use as my 'workshop' TV!

These models were released in 1966 and were the last 405 line models produced. They were a good buy at 39 and a half Gns. Common fault was the line discriminator diode block and dry joints on the wire wound resistors. Cracked circuit boards were often caused by impact damage due to failure of the cabinet handle in a similar way to the KB/ITT Featherlight.

I have only had a few resistors change value but after all these years the plastic capacitors are all leaking particularly the frame stage and AGC decoupling and don't forget the little gray .01ufs. Other than the frame ones being tucked away under the tube, they are an absolute doddle to service.

Very high gain and would have been great in the fringe areas of 1950! John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220513_090748.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	257073  
Old 13th May 2022, 11:09 am   #7
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

These were the very last 405 only sets to have been made. They do work well and still produce an excellent picture. I bought a second hand one back in 1971 and despite living some distance from the Caradon Hill and North Hessary Tor transmitters it gave great results on both BBC1 and ITV just using its telescopic rod aerial. It was a very high gained or sensitive set. Unfortunately it suffered water damage and was scrapped.
Some years later I was lucky enough to buy a replacement from my friend Lee. It works as new.

I think a lot of these have survived so well because they were only occasionally used as a second set as they could not get BBC2 then they were retired when the 405 line service closed
Old 13th May 2022, 12:20 pm   #8
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Weren't some of these given away when you bought a new Thorn 2000 colour set in the late 1960's?
Old 14th May 2022, 2:17 am   #9
bionicmerlin
Heptode

All great information thanks.
Can I ask is this the diode block that has been mentioned and already replaced. It looks like a transistor. Part number
MSDD 7002 I think.
Should I leave it or replace with new diodes . Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2A425C1B-C066-43E2-AD44-DED55F326E29.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	257119  
Old 14th May 2022, 9:09 am   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

That diode 'block' looks OK. It is the later type. The earlier one was larger and square. Both can be replaced with 1N4148 type diodes, they are not critical. The rear line and frame hold controls are often the cause of intermittent loss of line and frame hold. Cleaning does not help.

The 980 was included as a 'free' package when you rented a Thorn 2000 from DER [not Derwent]. John.
Old 14th May 2022, 10:52 am   #11
PYE 405
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
The 980 was included as a 'free' package when you rented a Thorn 2000 from DER [not Derwent]. John.
Here is a DER 405 only portable from 1969...
https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/communit...-tvs/der-5649/
Old 14th May 2022, 7:47 pm   #12
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Andrew . Thanks for the link . Wouldn’t mind one of those sets myself.
John thanks for the info that’s great.
I suppose it’s a good idea to change those pots then .
I have looked in my bits and pieces and don’t have anything new.
Can anyone recommend sensible replacements. And where to get them . Andy
Old 14th May 2022, 9:00 pm   #13
jayceebee
Heptode

If you need to replace the pots then go for Piher PT15 with the extensions, just the job. I got mine from Cricklewood Electronics.

John.

Name:	pots.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	257188
Old 15th May 2022, 12:54 am   #14
bionicmerlin
Heptode

John . Thanks for that . It looks a proper job. I will put them on my shopping list
Andy
Old 15th May 2022, 8:45 am   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The 16" version of the 980 was quite rare over 40 years ago. J.
Old 15th May 2022, 9:11 am   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The symptoms of a dried out C36 1uf electrolytic are incorrect line speed, one ended line hold control and line jitter.
Just replace it! J.
Old 15th May 2022, 1:34 pm   #17
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Thanks John I did replace that already. It was a Callins. I have replaced all the caps apart from 2 . They are on my shopping list.
Incidentally I did test all the old ones and they tested ok even the split ones.
I do remember what you have said in the past capacitors often test ok but are still suspect so I normally apply that rule.. Andy
Old 15th May 2022, 3:33 pm   #18
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

They may be ok when cold but will be very leaky as they warm up causing the frame to creep up from the bottom and uncontrollable AGC, the symptoms of which are signal overload with the contrast control having very little effect.. Looks a good! John.
Old 9th Jun 2022, 9:46 am   #19
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Thanks everyone for your help . I have replaced all the capacitors and all the resistors apart from the sound and IF amp stages. I have also changed the diode block and the frame and line hold pots.
It’s now working almost perfect apart from the following . Even that is minor but if someone could advise that would be good.
For the first 10 mins the bottom 1/3 or the picture slowly expands then contracts befor settling down . The width is on the limit , contrast is also near the limit.
Both the latter is not a problem but it’s nice if the controls were about midway .
Sorry my camera pictures are not that good Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C727E83A-F8AB-40BE-A1FF-F8A7931EA300.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	258682   Click image for larger version

Name:	8D8C2A5B-0939-4C6A-B4C7-B26168FF4A9F.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	258683  
Old 9th Jun 2022, 3:37 pm   #20
Tazman1966
Nonode

Seeing as you've replaced all the carbon resistors, for the width problem, I'd first check the position of the linearity sleeve on the tube neck between the scan coils. It should be pushed in for correct line linearity and NO FURTHER than that or there will be insufficient width and some overheating of the scan coils. Check by substitution the PL81 and PY81 valves and finally, the S correction capacitor. I think it's 0.25uF but experiment with 0.22uF and 0.33uF. Hope that helps.
Closed Thread