UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2022, 5:21 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default A Pye LV20 at last!

Around 1971 when I was 10 I went with my mate and his parents to visit his grandad who lived in Sutton Bridge. His Grandad had the best job in the world to a 10 year old he operated the Sutton Bridge swing bridge! We had a tour and a good look around I can remember the smell of the greasy "engine room" it absolutely stank!
We then went back to his Grandparents' house where his Grandma sat us down to a tea that would have stalled The "Famous Five". After tea my mate Steven and I went exploring his Grandads village of sheds in the huge back garden.
In one of them I discovered a TV chassis and magnifier no cabinet but bristling with these interesting red valves! I asked my mate to ask his Grandad if I could have it not for a moment expecting that he would say yes but it had to be worth a try didn't it?
Steven came back and said that Grandad had said yes so with much excitement it was loaded into his dad's Hillman Minx.
When I got home the set was put in my dad's shed and provided hours of fun being slowly dismantled with the aid of a screwdriver and pliers..
I remember having some of the parts kicking around for years. Great fun being had with the magnifier until one of my mates dropped it on the garden path!
Years later I realised the set would have been an LV20 and so have been keeping an eye out for one I always had a reason not to buy the odd one I saw and managed to buy a BV30 fairly locally which sort of satisfied my wanting an early Pye.
Recently I was offered a working example as part of a swap with another forum member so I had no excuse I had to have it!
I picked it up from R.T and today wired it to my standards converter to give it a run. It is a belting little set and bonus! It came with a second set for spares! So I have another to take apart and play with !
I just need to find a nice spot for the fantastic little set!
Thanks David!
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220510_163410.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	256929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220510_163421.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	256930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220510_164133.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	256931   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_101843.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	256932  
Old 10th May 2022, 5:39 pm   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: A Pye LV20 at last!

Very nice bright picture. I hope you will rescue the spares set from destruction.

Peter.
Old 10th May 2022, 6:55 pm   #3
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Peter
I do hope to I am told the scancoils are missing. I do have a set of old coils somewhere possibly from a Bush. I am not sure if they will do. A lot will depend on what the rest of the set is like, the cabinet is OK but I have no idea about the tube or LOPT.
In due course I will take the chassis out and have a look.
Old 10th May 2022, 7:42 pm   #4
MickMcmichael
Pentode

"I just need to find a nice spot for the fantastic little set"

You've got none left!
Old 11th May 2022, 3:07 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

These little Pye's are great sets, I have 2 restored sets & 2 in the roundtuit pile.
I too dismantled one of these in my childhood, the only remaining parts were the valves & speaker, this finally got put into one of my unrestored sets, as the original was missing.

I may have a set of scan coils from a spares chassis I broke up a few years ago.

Mark
Old 11th May 2022, 7:46 pm   #6
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Mark, many thanks that would be a great help if you do have a set of coils. I will get the set on the bench soon and have a look to see if it looks otherwise viable.
It would be nice to make it complete and save it as another survivor rather than a parts set.
And yes Mick I am still trying to find a space for it ! Here is a picture of it wearing the magnifier from the LV30 it adds a bit of colour! And makes it into a 9 and a half inch screen that you can only view straight - on! How people used these things is beyond me! I have one of those Del-boy market trader colour adapters somewhere I will have to try that next!

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220510_173030.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	256991