UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 28th Nov 2023, 5:39 pm   #21
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Default Re: AR88 BFO injection mod?

PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G7MRV View Post
Thanks everyone
I had it tuned to Shannon volmet on 8MHz last night and with it's rather weak signal I was able to successfully resolve it. Shannon on 5MHz though when strong wouldn't resolve.
I might try at first just linking both unused pins on the BFO valve to see if that provides sufficient extra level as in the CR88

Other than this, and the noise limiter 6H6 being dead I've few issues with the set. Selectively setting 4 isn't working, that may just be a switch contact, and an odd popping sound on some bands which I'll do some substitution on valves to see if that changes. Unfortunately I cant do this with all as I don't yet have spares for the 6SA7 or 6SJ7
dodgy-dxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2023, 9:21 pm   #22
Aub
Nonode

I'm home now. I looked for the article I mentioned earlier. It's actually from Short Wave Magazine, October 1965. Hopefully it's on the World Radio History site
The article is by Harry Leeming, who became renowned for his expertise with Yeaseu equipment. The article does contain details of the twisted pair of wires to increase the amount of BFO injection.

Hope this helps.

Aub
Old 28th Nov 2023, 11:08 pm   #23
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Thanks - yes ive found it on WRH.

Re: the selectivity switch setting 4 not working, well it is but just extremely low level compared to the others. So it doesnt seem to be the switch thats at fault. Trying to get my head around the switching of the various parts of the filtering now to work out which section is amiss

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Martin G7MRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2023, 11:26 pm   #24
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

ok so thanks to Aub and the SWM article, it all makes sense with the BFO now. The "gimmick" or trimmer goes between the Anode pin 3 and the unused pin 4 on the BFO valve V12, which is where the current connection is for the stray capacitance. I suppose i should have guessed at that, but my knowledge and understanding of valve circuits is not as good as i'd like.

I have already made the link between both unused pins 4 and 6 as per the CR88, but ive only a short length of wire indoors for the antenna at the moment and not much SSB has been forthcoming this evening for me to try it out. I did briefly locate Shannon volmet on 3MHz and it seemed to be working, but conditions are not great so further testing needed

Old 29th Nov 2023, 12:23 am   #25
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G7MRV View Post
Re: the selectivity switch setting 4 not working, well it is but just extremely low level compared to the others. So it doesnt seem to be the switch thats at fault. Trying to get my head around the switching of the various parts of the filtering now to work out which section is amiss
All AR88s are old enough that their crystals have drifted a fair bit and it's likely the high-Q setting of the LC selectivity no longer agrees with the peak of the crystal. Sensitivity suffers a lot.

David
Old 29th Nov 2023, 9:56 am   #26
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Yes that makes sense. Having had a brief read of the alignment procedure I might leave it until I'm in a more can do mood!

Old 29th Nov 2023, 10:47 am   #27
Radio Wrangler

Swept alignment is a lot easier, especially to get the wider bandwidths set to spec. Start looking for a wobbulator !

Davjd
Old 29th Nov 2023, 10:56 am   #28
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

I have a spectrum analyser, sweep generator, a marconi 2955B (although this is wearing out) etc plus other kit

Old 29th Nov 2023, 1:06 pm   #29
Radio Wrangler

That should do nicely, then.

I've just been given a very nice 6GHz macro-VNA, complete with s-parameter box. I already had a set of APC 3.5 calibration standards for it. Overkill-R-Us

David
Old 29th Nov 2023, 9:27 pm   #30
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

My problem is trying to understand the switching to work out which parts are actually unique to selectively setting 4!

Old 30th Nov 2023, 1:42 am   #31
Radio Wrangler

Take multiple photocopies of the larger format EMER schematic, just the early IF section, and highlight the connections via the contatcts, one diagram for each bandwidth position.

It's suspected that the diagrams in the AR88 manual were done that way to sow confusion and brain damage should they fall into enemy hands.

David
Old 30th Nov 2023, 10:30 am   #32
ms660
Dekatron

The Xtal filter circuit switching in the schematic, S20....contact 1 is the wiper the wiper is shown in the broadest position (1)...four clicks clockwise to contact 4 is the sharpest position (5) The first two positions shorts out the Xtal.

Lawrence.
ms660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2023, 3:26 am   #33
mikezero
Diode

Hi
I came across this document a few months ago. It dates back to 1964. It has useful info on alignment as well as a paragraph on how to strengthen BFO injection.
John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AR88-D mods BFO and IF align.pdf (319.3 KB, 49 views)
mikezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2023, 12:13 am   #34
Alan Bain
Pentode

A previous owner had added one of those beehive trimmer caps between the two "air spaced" valveholder pins in my AR88. Optimum setting was as I recall fairly close to min capacitance.

Alan
Alan Bain is offline   Reply With Quote