UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2021, 5:46 pm   #21
maxhifi
Triode

Default Re: Record players. Lid up or down?

Definitely up... or better yet off completely during playback. Down it acts like a diaphragm which transmits sound from the room directly into the stylus.
Old 27th Oct 2021, 6:37 pm   #22
barrymagrec
Octode

I find it convenient to have the lid down as that way you can stack far more CDs on it.
Old 27th Oct 2021, 6:43 pm   #23
ms660
Dekatron

When I used to party the lid would be going up and down....

Lawrence.
Old 27th Oct 2021, 7:00 pm   #24
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Morse is shown using a number of record playing devices during his career. In later life he uses hifi decks (there is even an episode featuring a murder at a fictional deck manufacturer, the name of which I forget.)
The fictional turntable company was ‘Richards’. The deck used in that episode was a Roksan Xerxes.
The Dead of Jericho. The first TV episode, an adaptation of the 5th book. In the book, the Richards brothers worked in publishing rather than hi-fi - it was an interesting change, reflecting how hi-fi was fairly mainstream in 1987 (the book was published 6 years before). It was also interesting how Morse seemed quite the hi-fi expert in that episode, while some later stories portrayed him as pretty much the complete opposite (e.g. Masonic Mysteries).

I confess that my parents frequently told me to shut the lid of my Bush SRP51. I preferred the sound with the lid open - lighter bass and more HF from the needle chatter. In my defence, I would have been 8 or 9 - obviously I realise the error of my ways now . But it wasn't just the sound - I enjoyed watching the record turn and the auto-changer do its magic when it occasionally worked (most often I'd have to "help" the tonearm to move across the last 30 seconds or so of the last track on the disc - we all know why, but fixing that was a bit much for me at that age).

So it could definitely be filed under "personal preference" in many cases
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 10:20 am   #25
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

A number of basic record players have labels stuck on the internals 'Do not close lid when playing' I think it was more a case of fear of overheating.

I always close the lid when playing and in the case of the PYE Archoic Box I'm sure I read, maybe in the instructions that damage could occur to the speakers if it was played at high volume with the lid open. The lid on the AB was airtight when new. The difference with the AB was dramatic and probably a one off. John.
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 10:51 am   #26
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I distinctly remember that, as a child in the late 1970s, my 1953 Pye Black Box sounded best with the lid propped open by about 1/2" at the front... using a bit of Lego!
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 11:33 am   #27
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Your mum is right of course. The Morse director would have wanted the visual image of the record going round - just artistic licence.
Totally agree, whenever you see this style of record player in period dramas they always have the lid up when music is playing. it's all done for effect.
In reality I'm sure most people would have it closed, they sound so much better that way.
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 9:04 pm   #28
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Well, I have got a Panasonic/Technics Linear Tracking Turntable (and a Siemens, also linear tracking) which cannot be operated with lid open. I love it as is is very reliable, I think I have owned it since it has played Deep Purple / Made in Japan when that was brand new!

Regards, Joe
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 11:31 am   #29
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

A few years ago whilst working in the company workshop I remember testing a record player that I had just repaired, either a Bush or Dansette, with the lid open. Whilst it was running I was sitting nearby enjoying a coffee and cigarette break. The boss came over and mentioned how tinny it sounded, I replied that was because I had not operated the combined bass boost and treble cut control. He gave me a strange look then I reached over and closed the lid.
I could hear the sniggers from the other workshop engineers as the boss just walked out. He did speak to me for days.
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 8:23 pm   #30
percival007
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I distinctly remember that, as a child in the late 1970s, my 1953 Pye Black Box sounded best with the lid propped open by about 1/2" at the front... using a bit of Lego!
Audiophoolery
Old 6th Nov 2021, 9:49 pm   #31
Lancs Lad
Heptode

I don't play vinyl much these days. But I do still have a record player with a perspex lid. And the music always seems to sound better with the lid down.

Also, I remember that my brother bought an Amstrad tower system back in 1985. It was in a wooden (?) cabinet, with a smoked glass door in front, and a quite heavy smoked glass lid, with damped hinges, over the turntable.

Something a bit like the picture, but more modern looking!

It had twin cassette decks, and a three band analogue tuner radio. And a remote control that only turned the volume up and down - nothing else!

But what I really remember were the two buttons on the front that were labelled as 'Rumble' and 'Scratch' filters.

Apparently, they were supposed to make vinyl records sound better. I was always a bit dubious!

They just seemed to have the same effect of dulling down the treble, like Dolby and other tape NR systems used to have on cassette players.

Anyone else remember Rumble and Scratch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20211106_0001 (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	245173  

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 6th Nov 2021 at 10:12 pm. Reason: To amend the spacing.
Closed Thread