UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2018, 10:31 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Too much Packaging!

Yesterday I received a package from Amazon in a cardboard box about 6x4x4" with internal padding. The only item in the order was a small tube of heatsink compound which could have been put in a jiffy bag. Why do firms do this? In an earlier thread mention was made of CPC who often do the same sort of thing!
Old 26th Jan 2018, 10:38 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Too much Packaging!

Anything over 25mm thick is a small parcel, which can be up to 45 X 35 X 16cms weigh up to 2kg and cost £2.90 to send. In theory only one size of box could be used for all small parcels.

Amazon have probably rationalised the number of different box sizes they use. If I had to buy packaging rather than use recycled stuff I'd probably do the same thing.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 10:38 am   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I had a similar experience with Ebuyer, bought a load of bits to assemble a PC, there was loads of packaging, but just because there was loads of it didn't mean it was any good! It was a flimsy box full of those awful air-bag things. The problem was that all the actual bits that needed padding were at the edge of the box, and the air bags were in the middle! The only casualty was a stick of RAM, which got loose from it's little plastic ESD safe tray and bounced around in the bottom of the box. It didn't work after that, obviously got static damage since those bags generate loads of it. I did actually manage to load windows onto the machine with that stick of RAM, but it was having trouble when you would start doing things like viewing photo's, as you clicked through them one would not load correctly, being all pixelated, and then if you clicked the next button the system would crash to a blue screen. Replacement RAM fixed it.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 26th Jan 2018, 11:33 am   #4
dominicbeesley
Octode

This video might be instructive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQATFbLvIHk the packers don't get a lot of thinking time they just grab the nearest box suitable box.

DigiKey do surprise me though, I often get stuff sent by airmail where size/weight must cost them and the stuff is usually over-packaged in a large box double or tripple bagged in zip-locks then wrapped in their distinctive shredded brown paper wrapping https://twitter.com/mbeckler/status/543600804503248896 (not my cat, but my daughter likes to play with it too!)
Old 26th Jan 2018, 11:33 am   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

That is absolutely nothing compared to what I got the other day. My wife ordered a tripod for hairdressers' practice heads. This is about a 3 inch cylinder about 2 feet long and Amazon shipped it in a box that was 3 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet and stuffed with paper. It took the entire recycling box up.

RS are my favourite. If you order a small £3 roll of solder-wick it comes in a massive box with about 30 sheets of printed out hazardous materials data and padding. I don't mind this as the boxes are really good quality and they have the RS print all over them which looks nice
Old 26th Jan 2018, 12:25 pm   #6
Dai Corner
Hexode

I recently received an SD memory card from Amazon. The card itself was about an inch square, its own packaging about 3" x 4" and Amazon's packaging about a foot square. At least it was flat.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 12:58 pm   #7
Reelman
Octode

I’ve always wondered why a range of “standard” boxes has not been produced. Made to be tougher but reusable. The delivery man could collect the “empties” on his next visit just like the milkman. (We must be the only house in the street to still have milk delivered, but I digress) customer made fillers could be used for large runs of the same sized product.
Ok, it would not look as good to receive a second-hand box even if the contents were new but I’m sure it would soon become very socially acceptable......
We put out for recycling every two weeks a wheelie bin sized sack full of cardboard. There must be a “greener” way.

Peter
Old 26th Jan 2018, 1:03 pm   #8
Station X

The simple answer to that is that the packaging manufacturers are in the business of selling boxes. If boxes were recyclable, then they'd sell less boxes and make less profit.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 1:16 pm   #9
McMurdo
Dekatron

There was an 'inside the factory' episode where they were at Amazon. The computer decides what box is to be used for the client's order and the packer has to use that one. Recycled brown paper packing is dispensed as seen fit.
I'd imagine that the whole operation has been time-motion studied to the tiniest degree, and this way is simply the fastest and cheapest.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 3:10 pm   #10
Refugee
Dekatron

I am pretty sure that the shipping companies as in all of those that have come up so far will buy the boxes in sizes that fit through the shipping system at a certain tariff by the truck load.
The packer will select one that is big enough from a pallet of boxes of that size and get on with the job. They will only carry sizes just below each tariff.
The tube of heat sink compound will have to be shipped in a size that will allow a bit of crushing because it will be messy if it were to get damaged.

My packaging ruse is that the package must be able to fly from the back of a large van to land behind the cab. The packaging does look a bit over the top some times but when you consider the way they get loaded onto vans some sense can be made of the amount of packaging.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 3:35 pm   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

It could be a question of ensuring that boxes stack efficiently. I know from a summer job in my youth loading lorries that it's much easier when boxes are all the same size, or at least, all the same height.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 3:59 pm   #12
Refugee
Dekatron

That is true as well if only a few sizes are stocked.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 4:50 pm   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

Unlike us, they won't be charged per parcel, so however it appears to outsiders it's the overall costs of dispatch that is their only consideration. With a large organisation that will include everything, including a replacement cost factor. Most of the packaging is recyclable or biodegradable, which then includes us in the chain.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 5:11 pm   #14
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I cannot claim to be the Greenest person on the planet, but the recent highlighting of the problem with plastic in the oceans has awoken me from a deep slumber and I am "on the case" bigtime" now; Ocado are learning that

B. Angry
Old 26th Jan 2018, 7:37 pm   #15
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I'm there already on the plastic stuff that does not recycle. From a week's shopping for two at Sainsbury's I have filled a plastic bag with non-recyclable plastic. I'm going to take it back to Sainsbury's and give it them back. Each week, every week from now on.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:19 am   #16
Refugee
Dekatron

The only way I know of getting rid of mixed plastic is to mix it with hot tar in order to make the tar go further and then use it to coat road stone and lay it on a road.
It will then get used for another 12 years until the road becomes a teenager when it will get tarmacne and become puck marked with all those grumpy teenage zits that brake car springs this is when there will be a chance to recycle some more plastic.
It cuts the use of tar by about 30% from what they said on a radio program. They have not yet tried in in UK though.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:38 am   #17
slidertogrid
Octode

My friend ordered a length of novelty tinsel from amazon last Christmas.
It would have been fine rolled up in a jiffy bag. it arrived in a cardboard box about 6 feet long and about a foot wide. Packed with loads of paper. apert from the ridiculous size of the box the weight of the packaging was many times the weight of the tinsel.
The grey/brown paper once un-scrunched was useful to wrap parcels that I was sending to family over Christmas so it wasn't a total waste.
I assumed that some sort of packaging programme had decided on the box size as surely a person would have had more common sense than that?
I order large bags of dog food from amazon sometimes it is just delivered in the bag with no packaging other times it arrives packed in a large box with the aforementioned scrunched paper.
I do try to reuse boxes and packaging where possible but the excess ends up in the recycle bin which I always feel guilty about. I hate waste!
Rich.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:49 am   #18
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
I'm there already on the plastic stuff that does not recycle. From a week's shopping for two at Sainsbury's I have filled a plastic bag with non-recyclable plastic. I'm going to take it back to Sainsbury's and give it them back. Each week, every week from now on.
That's a dammed good idea, I shall do this myself in future. eventually the supermarkets might take note and do something about the over packing.
One thing that used to annoy me was the people that would have a trolley full of orange plastic bags some with nothing but a container of milk in them. While others took the effort to use reusable bags these people just didn't care
Once the charge came in for bags though this seems to have stopped that's all it took a small charge to change their attitude.
They also seemed to be the people that parked their large expensive cars in the disabled spaces. Which shows the sort of attitude they had towards society...
Rich.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:51 am   #19
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
I hate waste!Rich.
Well, most especially, waste that ends up around the neck or within the internal organs of some animal!

Re mixed plastics in hot tar; good. Wonder if you could get mixed plastics to go into fuel oil (heating, or even the evil slime used in big marine diesels)? Perhaps so, especially if the plastic was formulated to do that when it was made for its original use as packaging ?

B
Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:54 am   #20
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a plastic removal crate that fits into a supermarket trolley.
It lives in the car boot and comes out at the supermarket and also stops anything else I carry from rolling about while I am driving.
Closed Thread