UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2011, 7:03 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default UK CB radio 30th anniversary

This year (november) is the 30th anniversary of legal CB radio in the uk.
I have a small collection of early CB's, including one i purchased new in 1981.

After 20 years, i have started using them again now there seems to be a lack of idiots using them, does anyone else collect /use them these days?

Mark
Old 18th Aug 2011, 7:13 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: UK CB radio 30th anniversary

Hi Mark.
Yes I have one in the Doblo and it seems to be reasonably well self policed these days.
My first rig was a Stalker 8 AM set in 1978 (naughty naughty) but good fun and all the breakers were excellent
10-10 Good Buddy!
Old 18th Aug 2011, 7:13 pm   #3

The off road lot use them a lot, IMHO it was a daft choice of frequency somewhere near 150MHz would have been much better. Anyone wanting 'skip' should get an amateur radio ticket, not difficult these days.

Old 18th Aug 2011, 7:26 pm   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Nice to see another "Breaker" is still on the air
I used to be well in to CB in the late 70's/ early 80's, untill all the idiots took over, but it is nice & quite these days, and another good thing is i can talk to a couple of friends who are also vintage radio buffs

Here is a photo of some of my radios (yes, Murphy made CB's!)

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050193.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	55251  
Old 18th Aug 2011, 7:39 pm   #5
jay_oldstuff
Octode

I have a few, I am one of the off road lot. I have a early 90's midland set in my land rover and two 40 channel Radioshack hand helds i use alongside it. I also have an early 80's set down in the cellar i picked up at a boot sale for 50p

Jay
Old 18th Aug 2011, 10:29 pm   #6
Records
Hexode

I use a CB radio in my Jeep Cherokee here in Canada, there is no licence,when i go to my wifes sister cottage on the lake i usually chat to the american truckers on the freeways.
its a cobra WX 18 ST2, bought it new for $50 in 2007., have a magnet mounted firepole on my roof works well enough.
Old 18th Aug 2011, 10:41 pm   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I came into amatuer radio via CB as did thousands of others. When I took my RAE practically every adult education centre was running a course. I have been in the radio/TV trade all my working life with only a passing interest in ham radio but it was CB that fired my imagination.

Peter
Old 18th Aug 2011, 11:48 pm   #8
slderiron
Retired Dormant Member

I've loaned a handheld Binatone Lone Ranger 40 to my brother who lives in the same road, and we keep in contact. Your right, a lack of idiots on the wavebands makes it a pleasure to use cb again.

I have an old Amstrad 12v job thats still works fine, which I bought new back in 1982. Mind you, it's had almost a 30 year break from use.
Old 19th Aug 2011, 1:03 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
'...but it was CB that fired my imagination.'
When I had a CB radio it was 1979, and they (the illegal AM ones) were just making an appearance from the States. There were some beautifully-made ones (Sawtron Xtal-controlled 22 channel) and some real lemons (Bristol: all chrome and tat). I had a Stalker 8 running into a DV27 top-loaded whip.

The imagination was certainly fired because '79 was near the top of the sunspot cycle, and it was possible to drive down Murray Road in Workington and hold a clear and lucid conversation - on four Watts RF AM - with some guy stateside.

We had CB clubs, outings, lasting friendships were formed, and like-minded youth was galvanised into protesting about the UK's lack of interest (and possible resentment) into such a new-fangled occurrence. 'Ordinary people talking to each other by wireless?' Noooo...

So along came 'Open Channel' on 27 MHz FM - all capture-effect and hiss, and different frequencies to what we'd had. Along, also, came the idiots... 934 MHz withered on the vine; too expensive for popular use, and the idiots on 27 MHz precluded sensible conversation so the medium almost died as a result apart from HGVs and would-be amateurs who wanted their cake and to eat it as well; no RAE for them, just a big linear amplifier and a quiet hilltop!

CB 27/81 made a brief resurgence for me in the late '80s, when a gang of us, just moved into Penrith, fitted themm out with tone-squelches based around an NE567 for a system we knew as 'Drink-Link', and used to summon us mates out to the pub without the annoying 'other users' being heard. It lasted for a month or so.

I look back with not a little embarrassment (but no regrets) about the flowery, un-necessary language we all used and the colourful 'handles' we knew ourselves by. But it WAS magic; it opened our eyes and caught our imagination. It augmented our interests in radio and electronics, and, as said elsewhere, awakened latent interests in those for whom radio would have otherwise passed them by, and, in doing so, popularly or unpopularly, filled out the amateur fraternity and clocked up the UK's call-sign allocation.

CB radio was part of my youth, and was quite probably the catalyst that got me where I am today. I haven't used a CB for years, but they are very popular around these parts with 'tin-tenters' and farmers.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th Aug 2011, 1:50 pm   #10
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi Russell
Brilliant story and yes I do remember the laughs and fun, chatting to truckers in the US as clear as a bell. I still have my old red 7 foot firestick from way back, whick occasionally goes on the Doblo for a little DX ing.
Sadly the youth today don't understand what with mobile phones & Facebook. Ah well I suppose all generations have their own thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04940.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	55276   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04941.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	55277  
Old 19th Aug 2011, 6:04 pm   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

They were the days when you could drive using a fist mic, often with the cable wound round the steering wheel, mind you I did the same with 2M for many years.

Peter
Old 19th Aug 2011, 7:07 pm   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

Not sure you can't, still. The mobile phone laws don't apply to mobile radio AFAIK. Doesn't make it particularly sensible, though
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Aug 2011, 7:24 pm   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Yes it was debated heavily in Practical Wireless re ham operators being allowed to use a mike BUT depending how the police phrase it be aware you can get fined + penalty points.

Going back to legal 27Mhz FM,i had one and spent more time on the phone telling my brother when i would be on then it was worth,he was 10 miles away!It was total rubbish to say the least.

David GM8JET
Old 19th Aug 2011, 7:33 pm   #14
murphyv310
Dekatron

One of my "local" nets was from Fenwick to my CB friend Terry Walsh the Postmaster in Cushendun Northern Ireland, We spoke regularly for years then one day he disappeared and I always wonder what happened to him.

I can't ever say that "CB" was rubbish, It was the numpties that spoiled it!
Old 19th Aug 2011, 7:42 pm   #15
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
The mobile phone laws don't apply to mobile radio AFAIK.
I am lead to believe this is the case, I don't think using a hand mike is anywhere near as dangerous as texting whilst driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Sadly the youth today don't understand what with mobile phones & Facebook. Ah well I suppose all generations have their own thing.
Thank god for that!
That is why CB is a pleasure to use these days, no idiots, or "wallys" as we used to call them!

It has been a real trip down memory lane, setting it all up again, especially as i am using original vintage kit, as are most of the guys I talk to.

I have many fond memory's of "foxhunts" & various "eyeballs" held at various pubs, good times indeed.

I still have my original AM rig somewhere, i used it homebase with a DV27 aerial mounted on an old washing machine lid as a groundplane

It does feel good, that we can use this vintage technology still, even better that we no longer have to fork out for a licence.

Mark
Old 19th Aug 2011, 9:32 pm   #16
Alistair D
Nonode

I must dig out one of my sets and have a listen around.These were mostly used for travelling in convoy going on holidays etc. We never use any of the stupid CB speak.

Al
Old 19th Aug 2011, 10:11 pm   #17
murphyv310
Dekatron

Negatory on that good buddy! Did you have a seatcover with you? In convoy of course you didn't need a big ear
Old 19th Aug 2011, 10:14 pm   #18
Richard
Heptode

Hi

I spent many hrs using CB in the late 70s and 80s.
We had a Cobra 148GTL DX, 120 channels, AM, FM and side bands, 4W on AM/FM and 12W on the side bands.
The twig was a DX27 to start, later upgraded to a Super Scanner something?, 3 1/2 wave dipoles in a triangle configuration, and a control box by the rig. It could select omni directional using all 3 or a single dipole as the active ariel and the other 2 as reflectors, so you could select one of 3 directions, it worked very well.
Our cars had rigs as well, York, Midland and a few others.
CB club in the local town, trips, fox hunts etc, all good fun.

Richard
Old 19th Aug 2011, 10:17 pm   #19
Alistair D
Nonode

Sure did. Mine had loads of wooden beads that were supposed to massage you as you drove.

I even still have a rubber duck in the loft. OK it is a very flexible short car aerial.

Thats a 10 4 goodbuddy.

Al
Old 19th Aug 2011, 10:19 pm   #20
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
'Negatory on that good buddy! Did you have a seatcover...'
I remember, as an apprentice, being asked by the foreman electrician if I knew how to use a walkie-talkie. 'Of course!' I replied, noncholant-like. I then went on to talk to my 'oppo on the roof in the most cringe-worthy bowdlerisation of contrived language, a-la CB-speak, as was common practice amongst all we CB-ers.

I never used the walkie-talkies again...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread