UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2021, 11:39 pm   #1
BBCmicro
Tetrode

Default Roberts R707

This was an eBay splurge - arrived in decent condition but very mucky. All bands except VHF silent, and VHF was weak.

I replaced all the electrolytics on the main board and there was some improvement but not much, still only VHF.

It's sat for three months waiting for me to bite the bullet and sort it out properly. Today I finally took the plunge and wrestled with that dratted switch board and mullard module with its AF11x transistors.

I do have some GT322A transistors that I want to try but thought better of it as I didn't risk any changes/issues - I wanted the module to work first time, so ditched them in favour of my last 3 AF124s. New electrolytic caps too.

Put it all back together and it works great. Performance on VHF is superb. Loud and crisp and holds a station better. No problems but still took about 3 hours. I can't believe it worked first time! I must be getting better. If it hadn't worked, I don't think I would have spent much time pulling the module out and putting it back, it would have probably ended up being 'gifted' to someone more patient than me ... I'm glad it didn't come to that!

I don't think I would have managed this had I not done an R600 in July to warm myself up on that module. The 707 is a lovely radio but what a horrible thing to service!

It is now my living room radio and I'm very pleased with it. One of the teak panels is damaged and the grill is bumpy in raking light, but otherwise it's a nice thing. Radio 3 is particularly good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211003_231328365.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	242686  
Old 4th Oct 2021, 7:56 am   #2
Pilot Mariner
Hexode

Location: Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK or Kabaty in Warsaw Poland.
Default Re: Roberts R707

Very nice, I obtained 3 of these at the Retrotech for £20 all complete (except for 1 antenna) and in very good condition, but I haven't powered them up yet.
Old 4th Oct 2021, 2:12 pm   #3
BBCmicro
Tetrode

Thanks, and that's a good deal for three sets - I overpay on eBay, gumtree etc as I don't drive, but get itchy fingers and love taking stuff apart! The Roberts complements a VHF hacker Jerald in the front room, can't decide which sounds better, there is a difference though.
Old 4th Oct 2021, 6:19 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

The 707 is my favourite sounding trannie apart from a Grundig 650. Most Roberts trannies can't get close to Hackers, but in my humble opinion, the 707 surpasses them. I particularly like the more rare later version with the grille that is painted with horizontal black bars.
Old 4th Oct 2021, 10:10 pm   #5
BBCmicro
Tetrode

After a few hours with both, the Hacker sounds clearer, crisper, but the R707 has better depth and bass. To be honest, the Hacker hasn't been recapped or serviced (beyond reverting to battery from a frankly deadly mains hack, it hasn't been touched) which probably makes it an unfair competition!
Old 29th Oct 2021, 1:16 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

The 707 is a good sounding set and well worth “doing”, but isn’t a job for the feint hearted.
Old 1st Nov 2021, 4:22 pm   #7
telstar
Octode

Hi. I will have to replace all the internal electrolytics in the dreaded module. The transistors themselves were all replaced. It is a great set, but a horrible thing to service, but I suppose once it has been done, it never requires any more servicing for a long time.
I believe this actual radio was bought as a present for mum & dad's 20th wedding anniversary in 1973. Of course they are now long gone.
Cheers
Mike
Old 7th Nov 2021, 10:09 am   #8
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Well done sorting the R707. I’ve done dozens of the things and it does get easier with practice but still a horrible job. The electrolytics do suffer in the module as well so need to be changed.
Closed Thread