UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2022, 11:12 am   #1
lancslaz
Triode

Default Varnish stripping on veneer (modern non toxic remover).

I recently bought a 1930'3 KB table top model with lots of veneer missing, this was around the 'border' on the front so all varnish had to be removed on the front and on the sides/top as there were very deep scratches in the varnish.

I bought some modern 'safer' varnish stripper, which has to be applied thickly, not brushed out and left on for an hour, it worked fine on the solid timber sides but the veneer on the front bubbled due to high water content of the stuff.

Nitromors would have been ok as the time left on the varnish is a few mins, I have managed to flatten the raised veneer with a heavy weight and re-glue with pearl glue so all is ok, but just be aware of this if you are restoring a valuable cabinet.

Although Nitromors was hazardous it worked very well, there is also 'safe' white spirit on sale now, it is useless!
Old 9th Apr 2022, 10:03 am   #2
mister valve
Hexode

Default Re: Varnish stripping on veneer (modern non toxic remover).

I have a 1936 Cossor radio cabinet that I will eventually have to tackle. It just has surface 'scuffs' and wear around the knobs. Can we still get "Nitromors"?, and Will "Nitromors" just remove the finish (which I believe is Shellac based)?

I have the fully restored & working chassis, and I want to fully restore the cabinet too (preferably to 1936 showroom condition)!!

Any other tips and advice will be appreciated.
Old 9th Apr 2022, 12:08 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

The solvent for traditional shellac varnish is meths. I think one of the solvents used in traditional paint strippers was methlyene chloride (dichlotomethane). This is still sold in small bottles as a solvent for plastics that you should be able to find in shops that sell model railway stuff under the name "Plasweld", or in larger bottles on-line from the manufacturer. I haven't tried using it on shellac but have used it to make thickened paint useable, having noted that it was listed as a constituent on the tin.
Old 9th Apr 2022, 12:24 pm   #4
Goldie99
Heptode

It would probably be much simpler to determine what the finish is first, and then restore appropriately - personally (as a Chemist) I'd find Nitromors (old or new) to be somewhat drastic, very messy, and even undesirable if it is Shellac. This link might help - it's just the first link I found to identifying the existing finish:

https://theprovince.com/life/care-pa...y-this-matters

Alan
Old 9th Apr 2022, 6:12 pm   #5
TowerRadio
Hexode

I would use a Tungsten-Carbìde cabinet scraper,no liquid whatever,and fine glasspaper.Practice on the largest areas first.Les
Old 9th Apr 2022, 7:36 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

You don't say what the product was that you tried. I've had some good results using Wickes' paint and varnish stripper, but you have to give it time. That's based on benzyl alcohol. Speaking as another Chemist, I too am not sorry to see Nitromors gone!

B
Old 15th Apr 2022, 3:17 pm   #7
PJL
Dekatron

The standard finish for wooden radios was nitrocellulose lacquer which will need a paint remover but it is worth testing with meths first to see if it does soften as it is far less damaging to the wood.
Closed Thread