UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2022, 7:41 pm   #1
ScottishColin
Octode

Default Perth PET

After several months of no problems, the PET froze today and won't reboot. I once (but only once) got an interesting message at boot about "formula too complex" (see attached photos), but I now consistently get either just the garbage screen at boot, or the garbage screen followed by flashing versions of the other photo attached.

I had already ordered a ROM/RAM board from https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/ so I hope that'll help me towards the problem.

https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/sho...petromram.html

I may be back in a while asking for further help.....

Colin.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PXL_20220330_183126548.zip (2.34 MB, 42 views)
File Type: zip PXL_20220330_171431425.MP2.jpg.zip (1.09 MB, 31 views)
Old 30th Mar 2022, 7:53 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Perth PET

Sorry to hear you are having problems again.

I think we should wait until you have the diagnostic tool as it will allow you to rule both the ROMs and the RAM in or out with just a few switch clicks. If it is working enough to let you run either the Slothie or Daver2 test EPROMs there would be no harm in seeing what happens with those.
Old 30th Mar 2022, 7:54 pm   #3
ScottishColin
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Sorry to hear you are having problems again.

I think we should wait until you have the diagnostic tool as it will allow you to rule both the ROMs and the RAM in or out with just a few switch clicks.
All part of the fun isn't it.

Colin.
Old 30th Mar 2022, 7:58 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

As mentioned in (edited) post #2, you could try the test EPROMs and see how far they get and what they say.
Old 30th Mar 2022, 8:18 pm   #5
ScottishColin
Octode

Quote:
As mentioned in (edited) post #2, you could try the test EPROMs and see how far they get and what they say.
Is that a direct replacement for UD9 or does it need some kind of adapter? I can't remember...

Colin.
Old 30th Mar 2022, 8:51 pm   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Slothie's goes in UD9 position but you must use the adaptor it was sent in. It doesn't require any of the other PROMs to be present.

Daver2 goes directly into UD8 position but also requires a working original UD9 in the UD9 position, as the machine boots from UD9.
Old 30th Mar 2022, 8:59 pm   #7
ScottishColin
Octode

Quote:
Slothie's goes in UD9 position but you must use the adaptor it was sent in. It doesn't require any of the other PROMs to be present.

Daver2 goes directly into UD8 position but also requires a working original UD9 in the UD9 position, as the machine boots from UD9.
Thanks. I have filed them away somewhere very carefully. Now all I need to do is find them.

Colin.
Old 31st Mar 2022, 7:19 pm   #8
ScottishColin
Octode

Quote:

OK - it is not possible to describe how frustrated I currently am. I have had my room tipped upside down in an effort to look for the EPROMs and I simply cannot find them.

Sirius - could you let me know what it would take for them to be recreated please?

Thanks.

Colin.
Old 31st Mar 2022, 8:40 pm   #9
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

There was a point some months ago where you offered to send them off to another PET owner who was having problems here, did you maybe do that, or did you at least pack them up with the intention of doing so?

How soon are you expecting the ROM / RAM device to arrive? I believe one of the features of that device is a set of test routines similar to the ones in the two test EPROMs you had - AJ would know as he has one, although he has been worryingly quiet lately. If you expect it in a day or three maybe just wait a little longer.

If it will be more like weeks I can make you a Daver2 and that will drop straight in. For the Slothie code I'd have to adapt something again. I don't think I can get them away until early next week at the earliest (real life getting in the way).
Old 31st Mar 2022, 9:30 pm   #10
ScottishColin
Octode

No worries. I'll chase back in my memory to see if I did send them.

I'm hoping the device should turn up mid next week and we are away Northwards next week anyway. I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Colin.
Old 31st Mar 2022, 9:35 pm   #11
ajgriff
Nonode

Still here Sirius. My ROM/RAM board isn't the same as the Tynemouth board Colin has ordered although the two have distinct similaries in terms of functionality. If it helps I am attaching a copy of the User Guide for Colin's board from which you will see that he'll be able to selectively replace areas of ROM for diagnostic purposes.

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PET_ROM_RAM_Board_User_Guide.pdf (823.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 31st Mar 2022, 9:46 pm   #12
ScottishColin
Octode

While I was there, I ordered an SD2PET as well; when I'm back up and running I'll post my views on it in a new thread.

Colin.
Old 31st Mar 2022, 9:48 pm   #13
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Thanks AJ, very useful (that's why we need you to stick around). I see it does also contain a set of test routines so that should be very helpful when it arrives. Colin will even get to play with BASIC V4 should the mood take him, his is natively BASIC V2.

Edit: All noted Colin. I guess you'll have to fix it now that you've bought an expensive toy for it.

I expect that the SD2PET will act in a similar way to a Floppy drive, probably using the same commands and syntax as the original Commodore drive, although hopefully it will be quite a bit faster than the real thing. That would make sense to me, anyway. It will plug into the IEEE port so hopefully the work you did to fix that will now pay off.
Old 31st Mar 2022, 10:18 pm   #14
ajgriff
Nonode

Just a note of caution about the Tynemouth ROM/RAM board. There have been a few different versions of the board and the User Guide I posted doesn't seem to correspond with the photo of the one Colin's ordered in terms of the number of DIP switches. The Guide may only be directly applicable to an earlier version. Colin will no doubt find out more when his board arrives.

Alan
Old 9th Apr 2022, 5:48 pm   #15
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Hi Colin, just saw that you have bought yourself a disc drive - I presume for this machine. Does that mean the machine works with your ROM/RAM gadget in it or did it not arrive yet?
Old 9th Apr 2022, 6:57 pm   #16
ScottishColin
Octode

Quote:
Hi Colin, just saw that you have bought yourself a disc drive - I presume for this machine. Does that mean the machine works with your ROM/RAM gadget in it or did it not arrive yet?
It has arrived but I'm away doing the North Coast 500 in our motorhome. I'll be back in a couple of days and start to put all of this together.

Colin.
Old 9th Apr 2022, 7:03 pm   #17
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Aww, good for you, I do the Kyle to Ullapool section (my favourite bit) nearly every year. We'll look out for you in a few days.
Old 10th Apr 2022, 7:00 pm   #18
ScottishColin
Octode

OK - back.

With the ROM/RAM plugged in and using the new ROM/RAM on the board, it all works just fine.

However, with the RAM swapped back out to the original motherboard RAM, I get the error as described above. If I run the simple test on the Tynemouth board, I get all B for the RAM check.

As before, I really want to fix this rather than depend solely on the Tynemouth board.

Any good ideas where to start?

Ta.

Colin.
Old 10th Apr 2022, 7:33 pm   #19
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Sorry, I think we need to meet somewhere in the middle here as only you have that exact test tool. Can you point us to an online version of the user manual for your version of the RAM/ROM board? I'm not too clear what 'all B' means.

From the sound of it it is saying it doesn't get a sensible response from any of the RAMs but sudden complete failure of all the RAMs is quite unlikely, so it's more likely to be something common to all of the RAM, a missing supply voltage perhaps, or failure of one of the buffers through which all the RAM data passes.

I take it you had no luck finding those test EPROMs?
Old 10th Apr 2022, 8:35 pm   #20
ScottishColin
Octode

It is per the PDF in an earlier post - page 3:

"The second is a screen showing the result of testing the first 1K of RAM. ‘G’ or ‘g’ indicates a good byte, ‘B’ or ‘b’ indicates a RAM fault. If you get any ‘B’ or ‘b’ characters, you have a RAM fault in at least the first 1K or RAM (lucky you just bought a RAM replacement board eh, just click on switches 1 and 2 and you should get a screen full of ‘G’ or ‘g’)."

It's not a very detailed test in my view...

And no sadly - having turned over my work room completely, I still haven't found the test EPROMs....

Colin.

Quote:
Sorry, I think we need to meet somewhere in the middle here as only you have that exact test tool. Can you point us to an online version of the user manual for your version of the RAM/ROM board? I'm not too clear what 'all B' means.

From the sound of it it is saying it doesn't get a sensible response from any of the RAMs but sudden complete failure of all the RAMs is quite unlikely, so it's more likely to be something common to all of the RAM, a missing supply voltage perhaps, or failure of one of the buffers through which all the RAM data passes.

I take it you had no luck finding those test EPROMs?
Closed Thread