UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2021, 8:04 pm   #1
Andrew B
Heptode

Default Taylor 68A alignment.

Has anyone ever done a calibration of the scale and bands on one of these?
The one I have works perfectly, the only time I have been inside it was to change out the Belling-Lee for a reliable N-type RF connector.
I noticed that the scale is a bit out on some bands, especially the low ones, is it an easy job just to tweak the coils and get the scale to read correctly?

Andrew
Old 17th Dec 2021, 9:18 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Taylor 68A alignment.

The old workshop sig gens were not at all precision instruments, nor did they have particularly fine tuning. In % terms what is a "bit out"? Is this for your 1977kHz project?

B
Old 17th Dec 2021, 9:44 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

My 68A, set as close as I can to 2000kHz, is actually radiating at 2010kHz, though it is still warming up. I think that's pretty good for that type of sig gen . As for re-alignment, maintaining the tracking is the key issue and I've not tried it on this unit.

B
Old 18th Dec 2021, 11:50 am   #4
Andrew B
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
Is this for your 1977kHz project? B
Not really Bazz, I only noticed the offset when I connected up a frequency counter to set 470kHz, a quick tune around showed waverings. Thanks

Andrew
Old 18th Dec 2021, 12:52 pm   #5
OldTechFan96
Octode

Calibrating your Taylor should be straightforward. I was able to calibrate my Advance E2 earlier this year with a frequency counter. I'm confident to say that it is more accurate now than when it left the factory.

You'll need to identify which capacitor/coil pair sets each band. Lining up the pointer and dial might be tricky; I have not seen the inside of a Taylor so I can't comment.

If it is anything like my E2 your Taylor might just need a long reach screwdriver to undo the pointer.
Old 18th Dec 2021, 2:14 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
Is this for your 1977kHz project? B
Not really Bazz, I only noticed the offset when I connected up a frequency counter to set 470kHz, a quick tune around showed waverings. Thanks
If, by waverings you mean instability, you might think about switch cleaner first before more involved work.

I left mine on for 3 hours night and it barely moved as it warmed up on 2010kHz. They are a very good old workshop sig-gen. I have been inside, but not to change alignment.

B
Old 18th Dec 2021, 6:18 pm   #7
Andrew B
Heptode

I don't mean fault sort of wavering. I mean between the ranges, 470kHz was 467 on the scale, 1.8mHz was 1.9 on a different scale, same on 3.5mHz was 3.6 on another scale, just little niggles, too perfectionist

Andrew
Closed Thread