UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2022, 9:52 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Crack repair on Bush DAC90A cream cabinet

Hi. I have filled in a crack on a Bush DAC90A radio (cream cabinet). The Humbrol paint that I used was number 41 (gloss), but I still found it a bit lighter than the cabinet colour. What other Humbrol number paint would members suggest to tone it down to make it look the same as the cabinet (without total respray)?
Cheers
Mike
Old 15th Feb 2022, 10:00 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: Crack repair on Bush DAC90A cream cabinet

I find the only way is to mix paints to get the desired match.
Even then, it changes colour some after drying and ageing.
I mix on an old CD case and hold it on the place you wish to paint, then leave it to dry and age for a good few days.
Natural lighting is a must as I find many light sources tend to make things look quite different.
It takes a bit of experimentation and a good memory of how many parts of one paint versus the other were mixed (or better good notes).

Good luck
Old 16th Feb 2022, 11:08 am   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

I found it extremely difficult to mix a pale grey using my large selection of Humbrol paints on clear plastic laid over the item to be painted. In the end, I just accepted what I achieved.

Rob
Old 19th Feb 2022, 9:51 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

The problems I came up against when trying to touch up a crack in a cream DAC90A was that the cabinet is translucent and the colour is integral . Any paint applied sits on the top of the surface and stands out almost as bad as the crack.
The other problem is that (in my case) the crack had darkened due to the 'sooty' colour that covered the inside of the cabinet above the dropper. I tried to clean the soot and then tried to lighten it with neat bleach. This initially failed as the crack was so tight as not to absorb any cleaner or bleach.
Finally I warmed the cracked area with a hair drier and then applied foam cleanser followed by bleach. This resulted in the crack becoming a lot less visible. I left it at that...
Hope this helps.
Rich
Old 21st Feb 2022, 12:26 am   #5
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
The problems I came up against when trying to touch up a crack in a cream DAC90A was that the cabinet is translucent and the colour is integral . Any paint applied sits on the top of the surface and stands out almost as bad as the crack.
The other problem is that (in my case) the crack had darkened due to the 'sooty' colour that covered the inside of the cabinet above the dropper. I tried to clean the soot and then tried to lighten it with neat bleach. This initially failed as the crack was so tight as not to absorb any cleaner or bleach.
Finally I warmed the cracked area with a hair drier and then applied foam cleanser followed by bleach. This resulted in the crack becoming a lot less visible. I left it at that...
Hope this helps.
Rich
Hi Rich. Many thanks for that. I used Humbrol paint (69) which is like a mustard colour. The crack has totally disappeared, but the colour is still not matched to the cabinet. The earlier colour that I used was Humbrol (number 41) but that was too light. I may try and mix the paints and apply to the cabinet
Old 21st Feb 2022, 3:56 pm   #6
slidertogrid
Octode

That is good news! I admit that the crack in my radio was very visible so you may have had more luck than me. Filling the crack with paint and then polishing with a cutting polish so only the crack is filled and there is no overpainting may be successful, the problem being that paint looks slightly different depending on the light. I have touched in repairs in the past that look fine inside then photograph them with a flash or take them into sunlight and they stand out terribly.
Hope you get it sorted. I would like to see a photo when you have concluded the repair if it turns out well.

Rich