UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2021, 6:59 pm   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Green circle with black arrow ??

What does this mean when positioned to the left of a post title please?
Rob
Old 21st Dec 2021, 7:08 pm   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Green circle with black arrow ??

I think it's to make you notice it.

Aub
Old 21st Dec 2021, 7:10 pm   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Certainly does!
Can I put one on all my posts? Or is it only available at the start of a thread?
Thanks, Rob
Old 21st Dec 2021, 7:25 pm   #4
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Arrow Re: Green circle with black arrow ??

Just tried it out here on this post now as a test!!

Looks like it would only work on the first post of a new thread.

Christopher Capener
Old 21st Dec 2021, 7:27 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Green circle with black arrow ??

When you start a thread or reply using the advanced editor (by clicking "Go Advanced") there is a "Post Icons" section below the editor box, see attached screenshot. Most people don't use them (thankfully!) but a few do. I've selected thumbs up for this reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-21 at 18-25-19 UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum - Rep.png
Views:	81
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	248182  

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 21st Dec 2021, 8:22 pm   #6
Radio1950
Hexode

I had one of these mystery things on one of my recent posts.
Took me two hours to find out it was just an innocuous "look at this" Post Icon as Paul has said.
I thought someone had marked me as "Reported", and it worried me.

I must have incidentally selected it whilst sending a post from my tablet, (as now) when sitting in front of TV with some Christmas Cheer.
Old 21st Dec 2021, 8:48 pm   #7
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

high_vacuum_house it IS working on your response!

So, if we want special attention brought to a new post, it makes sense to me that we should all be doing this?
I then feel that if everyone does it that it would then become irrelevant and ignored. Nobody would pay attention at all.
Best left to personal choice as to just how more important we think our own post is relative to others maybe?
Rob
Old 21st Dec 2021, 8:58 pm   #8
paulsherwin

I ignore them I'm afraid.

The forum software will also create small icons to the left of thread title listings which I've never understood - something to do with attachments or deleted posts.
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 12:44 pm   #9
mhennessy
Dekatron

There's a key at the bottom of each thread listing page (but not a search result listing), but sadly the forum software leaves the alt text null so you can't find out what the icons are by hovering...

An exception to that is when you're subscribed to that thread - hovering over that will pop up a bit of info about how many posts you've made, etc.
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 1:41 pm   #10
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
sadly the forum software leaves the alt text null so you can't find out what the icons are by hovering...
I can and I've just done it with the icons in this thread. How about other members?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	icon.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	248227   Click image for larger version

Name:	icon2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	248228  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 1:55 pm   #11
mhennessy
Dekatron

Just to be clear, I'm talking about a page like this: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...splay.php?f=20

On there, I only get a hover pop-up on the threads I'm subscribed to. Nothing for the others (and of course, I confirmed the alt-text was null before posting earlier - I can copy/paste that there's any doubt).

But of course, it might well be different for moderators and admins - I don't know the forum software.

On the main forum page - https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php - I do get hover pop-ups, but that's a list of forums rather than a list of threads (which is what Paul mentioned). There's different functionality there, as clicking those icons marks forums as read, so you'd reasonably expect a hover pop-up for those. The icons for thread listings aren't clickable, so omitting a pop-up isn't unreasonable - but of course, the alt-text should be included (even if left null) so that the HTML passes validation (which is almost does, with just two minor errors caused by the cookie notice).

Just some geeky observations made with my "web design" hat on - no criticism intended (hopefully needless to say)
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 3:35 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
I think it's to make you notice it.
Analogous to the L@@K that was endemic on eBay sales ads at one time.
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 4:11 pm   #13
bc312
Pentode

Quote:
I can and I've just done it with the icons in this thread. How about other members?
Works fine for me - Chrome browser.

Mike

BVWS member, EUG, G-QRP
Radio Bygones/Radiophile
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 4:31 pm   #14
Trigon.
Hexode

The 'Hot Threads' tagged on the thread listings would seem to be those with 1000 or more views.

The number of posts in a thread doesn't appear to be a factor.

Cheers
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 4:43 pm   #15
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc312 View Post
Quote:
Works fine for me - Chrome browser.

Mike
As I clarified in post #11, I was responding to Paul's point in post #8. Graham thought I meant something else, as his screen-grabs show (though that something else is the topic of this thread, of course). I included a link to what Paul and I were referring to in post #11, but I've attached a screen-grab of that.

You can't see the mouse cursor, but it was hovering over the icon with the padlock for the thread about Hacker speakers - and the pop-up appeared because I'm subscribed to it. However, none of the icons for the other threads will produce a pop-up, so to find out what they all mean, you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see the key.

Again, I've simply chimed in as a result of Paul saying this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The forum software will also create small icons to the left of thread title listings which I've never understood - something to do with attachments or deleted posts.
Was just trying to help - though was probably stating the obvious there - and also mention a quirk of the forum software regarding the alt-text that you (should) see when you hover. Sorry if I've caused any confusion, though I did think what I initially wrote was pretty clear by my usual standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigon. View Post
The 'Hot Threads' tagged on the thread listings would seem to be those with 1000 or more views.

The number of posts in a thread doesn't appear to be a factor.
The vBulletin documentation suggests the criteria that constitutes "hot" can be changed (and enabled/disabled), so if anyone is desperate to know, Paul S might be able to tell us. It's not something that keeps me awake at night
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screengrab.png
Views:	54
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	248246  
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 5:44 pm   #16

I just read the titles...

Closed Thread