UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2022, 6:40 pm   #161
kinnego07
Tetrode

Default Re: 1936 Marconiphone 365 Radiogram

Well the governor is certainly part of the problem. It was stuck solid so I heated it up with a hair dryer while applying a light lube and it started to act as it should.

However, when it cooled down again it stopped working.

If I remove the mechanism to clean the shaft will I have problems with adjustment of the spindle bearings top and bottom and meshing of the gears?

I take it that removal is by loosening off the two screws seen in the first photo and withdrawing one or both brass bearing pins?
Old 19th May 2022, 9:45 am   #162
kinnego07
Tetrode

Update - I put a datum line on the steel (I initially thought it was brass due to old lube dried like shellac) bearing pin and heated the area up with a hair dryer.

It took quite a bit of time to ease the pin out even with the heat but eventually it gave way and the governor assembly was removed.

The assembly was locked solid on its shaft by dried (shellac like) lubricant and even with all the heat I could only move the assembly along the shaft a millimeter or two before re-applying heat again.

Finally, once removed I soaked the whole assembly in solvent for a few hours, cleaned and lubricated it and then reinstalled it in the gram.

Automatic changer and play speed are now working as they should and using a phone app I was able to check turntable speed which hovered nicely at 78.

Any advice on the best type of needles to use for this type of player greatly appreciated and thanks again to all who have contributed.
Old 19th May 2022, 1:24 pm   #163
John10b
Nonode

Well done, solo dance soon
John
Closed Thread