UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2019, 10:46 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Name the dual standard monochrome meeting a sticky end?

Good evening,
I was watching a 1980 vintage Eric Sykes comedy film called "Rhubarb Rhubarb" about a vicar and police chief having a round of golf and trying to cheat each other. A very good comedy!!.

Part of the way through a husband drops a television set out of the bedroom window after his wife throws a golf ball through his cold frame! I have been trying to identify the set. The picture of the set isn't great though it looks like it is a dual standard mono set as there are 2 large round silver knobs below where the speaker is on the right hand side.

Surprisingly it looks as if the CRT survives being dropped from the upstairs window (no dark patch appears in the centre of the CRT where the phosphor gets blown away when the neck gets knocked off) though the cabinet certainly falls apart!

See the pictures below!! This is good as I can get the pictures to be.

Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	telly1.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	194641   Click image for larger version

Name:	telly2.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	194642  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 10:58 pm   #2
Colourstar
Octode

Default Re: Name the dual standard monochrome meeting a sticky end?

Hi Christopher

I've also seen this remake of 'Rhubarb'. The original was filmed in 1969, two years after Eric Sykes' other (semi) silent classic 'The Plank'. Both were re-made in 1980 with different casts for Thames Television.

I had a frame-by-frame look at the footage and came to the conclusion that the tv that Roy Kinnear is dropping from the window is a GEC...

Steve
Old 30th Nov 2019, 12:12 am   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Name the dual standard monochrome meeting a sticky end?

Hi,
The rear cover brings Pye or Ekco (or Ferranti) to mind.
In the 70s & 80s if anyone was watching telly on a TV programme, it was often a Pye of some sort. (Monty Pythons Flying Circus comes to mind for one.)
Cheers, Pete.
Old 30th Nov 2019, 12:12 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

I would agree with it being a GEC (or a Sobell) I have a 23" in my collection with the same front control layout. Also the controls on the back are grouped together in a line at the bottom on the right.
Like the set on this posting.
https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/communit...o-tvs/paged/2/
On the Pye dual standards the rear controls were dotted about the back cover the contrast usually towards the top the hold controls lower down.
It look as if the bottom of the cabinet is painted white which seems strange?
Old 30th Nov 2019, 1:12 pm   #5
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
Hi,
The rear cover brings Pye or Ekco (or Ferranti) to mind.
In the 70s & 80s if anyone was watching telly on a TV programme, it was often a Pye of some sort. (Monty Pythons Flying Circus comes to mind for one.)
Cheers, Pete.
The BBC seemed to have a supply of Pye dual standards in the late 1960s-early 70s for use in programmes, though I did capture a picture of Frank Spencer watching a Baird single standard.
Old 30th Nov 2019, 2:20 pm   #6
Colourstar
Octode

Here's the link to the full show so you can judge for yourselves.

The tv drop happens at 7mins 40secs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOiwJkMvIYI&t=463s
Old 30th Nov 2019, 2:38 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes, a GEC or Sobell 1018 series. J.
Old 30th Nov 2019, 3:23 pm   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

It would have been a very old set by 1980. I used to get them from the local TV shop in 73/74 around 25 pence or less ! A lot of dual standard mono sets were coming in due to the colour boon.
They were usually fairly easy to fix, dropper sections, resistors in the frame circuit and the occasional LOPT..
My Grandad had one in his holiday caravan for a few years . I have a couple of 23" GEC sets in my collection and a 19" Sobell.
Closed Thread