UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2019, 8:30 pm   #181
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: Bush TV22 with TC184 B3 converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
Equalization pulses normally help the probability of a good interlace, regardless of how good or poor the vertical integrator is. Ideally you have a good multi-stage, two or three stage RC integrator and the equalization pulses present in the sync too and the scenario is optimized for perfect interlace. This was standard practice for American TV sync signals immediately post WW2 and their TV sets seldom had any interlace issues as a result. If the vertical integrator is a poor design to the extreme, then, the equalization pulses cannot help.That is why they are not beneficial for the standard TV22
It's been reported that the selection of the equalising pulses option on an Aurora can cause hooking at the top of the picture on a TV22. This would have been with the original component values. Would the proposed mods to the vertical integrator help here too, I wonder?

Steve
Old 6th Dec 2019, 9:55 pm   #182
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Have to report the TV22 that started this topic has developed a number of faults.

DFWB.
Old 6th Dec 2019, 10:00 pm   #183
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Panrock wrote" "It's been reported that the selection of the equalising pulses option on an Aurora can cause hooking at the top of the picture on a TV22. This would have been with the original component values. Would the proposed mods to the vertical integrator help here too, I wonder?"

I've often been tempted switch in the equalising pulses but as the story goes the inventor of the 405 line system Alan Blumlein wouldn't countenance such things.

DFWB.
Old 7th Dec 2019, 9:04 am   #184
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Panrock wrote" "It's been reported that the selection of the equalising pulses option on an Aurora can cause hooking at the top of the picture on a TV22. This would have been with the original component values. Would the proposed mods to the vertical integrator help here too, I wonder?"

I've often been tempted switch in the equalising pulses but as the story goes the inventor of the 405 line system Alan Blumlein wouldn't countenance such things.

DFWB.
I'm pretty confident Mr. Blumlein would have recognized the value of equalizing pulses, even at a glance, because its so obvious they were helpful with interlace issues and he was a true Television genius, well ahead of the curve, like Manfred Von Ardenne in Germany and well ahead of the researchers in the USA at the time.

Blumlein of course was also the inventor of stereo audio and a genius with Radar. So I don't believe the story that he wouldn't countenance equalizing pulses, it makes no sense at all.
Old 7th Dec 2019, 9:59 am   #185
peter_scott
Dekatron

All the first generation EMI televisions have excellent interlacing and their circuitry is not overly complex.

Peter
Old 8th Dec 2019, 11:45 pm   #186
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
All the first generation EMI televisions have excellent interlacing and their circuitry is not overly complex.

Peter
Yes the circuits are not complex at all, they simply need proportions that are correct in the filtering/integrators. Which makes it even more strange that some manufacturers didn't do it correctly.

It was also totally blundered in two of my USA made 1939 sets, the Andrea KTE-5 and The Meisser kit TV. But in those cases nobody would see it with the 5" crt's 5AP4/5BP4 respectively. The 5AP4 was merely a short 5BP4 made for Andrea by National Union.
Old 10th Feb 2020, 11:47 am   #187
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Haha, yes, they must be fixed up, not binned! I'm getting there slowly with mine, it certainly is sounding good now!

Those TV22's do get a bit toasty, I had one running for a whole 8 hours at a vintage show once, and because I knew it had a bit of a tendency to get hot I removed the screening can from the LOPT, and fitted a 12V computer fan on the back cover in the ventilation slots, that kept it happy for the day, and it was still working well at the end of the show, sadly that set developed the shorted primary much later on, and is waiting for me to do something about it.

As for empty cabinets, I have a TV62 cabinet in the lock up!

Regards,
Lloyd
Hi Lloyd
I think that adding a small PC fan to the back cover is a great idea, since these sets do get quite hot, especially around the line output stage can and I would like to do the same to my set, as it gets used quite a lot. How did you power the fan? Did you use an external power adaptor, or did you wire it within the TV?
Thanks!
Helder
Old 10th Feb 2020, 1:50 pm   #188
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi Helder,

I cheated with the power to the fan, I had some small 12V SLA batteries, so I charged a couple of those and took them with me to the show, and just croc-clipped them to the wires from the fan that were hanging out the back of the set. It worked well enough, battery lasted about 4 hours before I had to swap it for the fresh one.

If I was going to do it again I’d probably add a small mains transformer to power it inside the set, or even got a mains voltage fan and take power directly from the main switch.

Another thing that helped keep the set cool that day was where our stand was sited, we were just inside the doorway at York racecourse, the door was open, and it was early April, the draft blowing in was really cold! I had to leave the stand at one point and go outside to sit in the sun!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 10th Feb 2020, 1:59 pm   #189
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Hi Helder,

I cheated with the power to the fan, I had some small 12V SLA batteries, so I charged a couple of those and took them with me to the show, and just croc-clipped them to the wires from the fan that were hanging out the back of the set. It worked well enough, battery lasted about 4 hours before I had to swap it for the fresh one.

If I was going to do it again I’d probably add a small mains transformer to power it inside the set, or even got a mains voltage fan and take power directly from the main switch.

Another thing that helped keep the set cool that day was where our stand was sited, we were just inside the doorway at York racecourse, the door was open, and it was early April, the draft blowing in was really cold! I had to leave the stand at one point and go outside to sit in the sun!

Regards
Lloyd
Thanks Lloyd. I did think about using a mains voltage fan, since this would be a straightforward mod, but was wondering whether this could cause unwanted interference. Have you tried one of these fans with either the Bush or other sets?
Thanks!
Helder
Old 10th Feb 2020, 2:09 pm   #190
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I haven’t tried one, but I do have a mains fan that might fit, I’ll see if I can find where I’ve hidden it and give it a go. It may cause a bit of picture wobble, what with it being quite close to the CRT neck, I didn’t notice any interference from the 12V fan that I used, which was ex-computer CPU fan!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 10th Feb 2020, 2:35 pm   #191
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Thanks Lloyd! Looking forward to your results.
Helder
Closed Thread