UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2019, 11:01 am   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Bush TV22 with TC184 B3 converter.

Makes a pleasant change to find an easy restoration job.
Last month I drove to Southport to collect this tidy TV22. The set is equipped with the TC184 band 3 converter. I know many collectors don't like this add-on unit and prefer to remove it but why do that because the TC184 is a magnificent piece of over engineering.
Every waxie capacitor was found to be leaky and have been restuffed or in the case of valve heaters decoupling capacitors replaced with ceramic ones.
No hi-vis capacitors in this set.
The line output transformer was subjected to the pre-heating method by supplying 20mA through the windings. Only one valve needed replacement, the PL38 line output, it had gone gassy. The PL38 is becoming difficult to find and it is possible to replace it with a PL81. Never had any success with a PL36 although in theory it should work, after all in the TV22 the line output valve functions as switch rather than a linear amplifier.
The attachments show the results. Test card C from the Aurora adjusted to send channel B9. The PM5544 is from Frank's excellent Hedghog converter adjusted for channel B1.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV22withTC184.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	186233   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV22withTC184_3.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	186234   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV22withTC184_2.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	186235  
Old 6th Jul 2019, 3:32 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TV22 with TC184 B3 converter.

Going back to your childhood are we David? Joining the 'Doctor Who' club? Seriously I'm worried.

That looks good. Did you use my secret whizzo polish to produce that shine. Keep the TC184, it's all part of the TV22 history. Your lucky with the LOPT. John.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 4:11 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi John,
The Bush Band 3 converter is a beautiful piece of engineering and as you say must be preserved. It's all too evident that the set was stored at one time in a damp environment so it was essential that the line output transformer was subjected to the warm-up process before any attempt to test the set from mains supply. And the transformer warm-up process was pioneered by your goodself.
The set under discussion is the early version with EF91 valves in the RF deck.
This week found in a box of parts a Bush type 1 preamplifier made specifically for the Bush TV22.
Discussion about the EF91 RF pentode elsewhere in the forum:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=157399

DFWB.
Old 7th Jul 2019, 9:46 am   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Your lucky with the LOPT
It seems a bit of a lottery with these LOPT's, I think it is a very good idea to drive out any moisture by passing current through it before trying to apply power to the set.

I also remove the screening lid on these sets, in an attempt to reduce the temperature, I never liked the idea of the LOPT being encased next to the PZ30 & PL38.
The heat really builds up after a couple of hours running!

Mark
Old 7th Jul 2019, 11:06 am   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

What nostalgia! I remember fitting loads of those late at night just before ITV started.

Peter
Old 8th Jul 2019, 9:34 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Fitting the Band 3 converter was almost a plug in operation, Just remove the five pin RF deck plug from the main chassis and transfer it to the converter. The converter also has a five pin plug which is inserted into the main chassis socket.
The three wires from the underside of the converter are connected to various points on the RF deck. One wire goes to the control grid of the band 1 mixer valve. The other two go to the contrast control and band switch. After conversion the contrast control operates on band 1 only. Band 3 has a separate contrast control which is located on the converter box.
I'd imagine a template was issued with the converter kit so that a hole in the cabinet back could be accurately cut out.

The attachment shows the preamplifier specifically made for the TV22 and TV24. Another plug-in unit. Uses an EF91 valve.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV22_preamp.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	186381   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV22_3.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	186382  
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:02 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've seen more than one TV22 with the tube mask painted gold. Was this some sort of coronation special, or something dealers might have done? Anyone else seen a gold one?
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:15 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Never saw a gold painted mask but seen many painted white or cream, often with gloss paint which looks awful.
Correct colour for the mask should be matt eau de nil.

DFWB.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:18 pm   #9
McMurdo
Dekatron

did you do yours, David?
Old 8th Jul 2019, 11:44 pm   #10
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Kevin,
The green mask is in excellent condition, didn't even need to clean it. I've been very lucky with this set. Just one complaint, and not a serious one, it's those two holes drilled in the top of the cabinet for a magnifier. You see lot's of TV22s with this.

DFWB.
Old 10th Jul 2019, 7:04 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

At the museum we have a TV22 with a stand alone magnifier. The picture is excellent and I cannot detect any loss of clarity or brilliance when viewing. John.
Old 11th Jul 2019, 7:01 pm   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Gold masks...NO!
I have no doubt that you will spend hours polishing it with paste no. 125. Don't press too hard David, you might shatter your icon into shards.
That pre-amp is a gem. I have the service manual for it. When the Band 3 tuner was fitted it had to be removed. Take care, regards, John.
Old 11th Jul 2019, 7:13 pm   #13
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
I also remove the screening lid on these sets, in an attempt to reduce the temperature, I never liked the idea of the LOPT being encased next to the PZ30 & PL38.
The heat really builds up after a couple of hours running!
Horses for Courses. With the lid off, there will probably be more heat stress on the bakelite.

Steve
Old 12th Jul 2019, 5:29 pm   #14
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Last Sunday the TV22 was left running for eight hours and I have to report the cabinet sure got hot, in fact too hot to touch in the area above the line timebase screening can. The heaters of the PZ30 and PL38 dissipate 24watts, the PL38 will be passing an average current of about 60mA so that'll be another 12 watts!
At least we'll know that the line output transformer windings should be thoroughly dried out by now.

DFWB.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 8:48 pm   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Are you going to the Doctor Who gathering in the Drill Hall at Gateshead?
Apparently a huge collection of TV22 owners are going for a 'view in' weekend on the 13/14th of this month. [this weekend]

There will be a bring and buy sale to exchange smashed bits of receivers that have been damaged in transit by various couriers.

There will also be a polishing competition, the winner receiving an original mains connector.

Worth a go David even if you have to take it on a bus to reduce parking nightmares.

If it's a sunny day, wear dark glasses to prevent one of those liquid paraffin magnifiers from causing eyesight damage or even worse, setting fire to the Drill Hall..

As I have a couple of TV22s I might join you in incognito as I usually hide them away under a WW2 black out curtain. I can turn up dressed as Margaret Rutherford to remain anonymous. Let me know. Regards, John.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 9:12 pm   #16
FERNSEH
Dekatron

'Are you going to the Doctor Who gathering in the Drill Hall at Gateshead?
Apparently a huge collection of TV22 owners are going for a 'view in' weekend on the 13/14th of this month. [this weekend]'

Hi John,
I'm only five miles away from the event. TV22s and Doctor Who, that's something I mustn't miss.

DFWB.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 9:24 pm   #17
bobsterkent
Hexode

Quote:
'Are you going to the Doctor Who gathering in the Drill Hall at Gateshead?
Apparently a huge collection of TV22 owners are going for a 'view in' weekend on the 13/14th of this month.
sounds fun, but being in Kent I cant make that otherwise id take my TV12am there
Old 15th Jul 2019, 7:08 pm   #18
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

You are very quiet David? Who won the 'Doctor who' look alike competition?

I saw some pictures in the Gateshead Gazette. Oh no! It's just dawned on me. You were the one hiding behind that long scarf with the ends wrapped around your face in a farcical attempt to remain anonymous. Your cover has been blown! John.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 12:41 pm   #19
FERNSEH
Dekatron

HKS wrote: "Oh no! It's just dawned on me. You were the one hiding behind that long scarf with the ends wrapped around your face in a farcical attempt to remain anonymous. Your cover has been blown! John."
Hi John,
Remember the Monty Python sketch about how not to be seen

DFWB
Old 23rd Sep 2019, 11:25 am   #20
FERNSEH
Dekatron

NEWS FLASH! No picture, low EHT, just a tiny spark at the anode of the EY51.
Reckon the line output transformer has failed.
Will carry out more tests later today.

DFWB.
Closed Thread