UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2021, 10:03 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default How do you keep Records of your Projects?

I guess that we all keep records, but how do you do it and how well does your system work?

I keep notes in A5 spiral-backed note books; I like these as they will fold back on themselves, so occupy little bench space. I chose ones which have pages which also have holes for ring-plan folders. So day by day, I keep dated records on various projects which may be going on (on separate pages), and then periodically, tear the pages out of the day-book and put them into folders which are project-specific.

The major flaw with this system is that the projects also generate electronic documents, so inevitably the information which I have is divided in to two files.

What are others doing?

B
Old 23rd Nov 2021, 10:26 pm   #2
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Re: How do you keep Records of your Projects?

I have folders in my "Electronic Projects" folder on the computer. All related electronic documents go in there, and I try to scan all the paper jottings & rough circuits to place in the folder too. Oh, and any photos of parts of the project. I try to keep everything electronically but inevitably there's the odd piece of paper floating around!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 23rd Nov 2021, 10:59 pm   #3
joebog1
Banned

Generally I keep track very badly, unless its a major project like the Goldenears. I also keep little note books where I scribble down ideas, at anytime ( I have a crazy brain that never sleeps ). I also keep a calculator on my bedside table so that I can do the calcs when I think of them.
I draw all my stuff up using KiCad and store the drawings and parts lists in a filing cabinet in their own folder. All the background study and articles I have read go into the same hanger, but their own folder.
The little notebooks ( have a BIG box of them ) are all saved so I can go back and look. I am stupid enough to never date anything, so I reread all the bits and bobs that I have written down, which I find quite good because I get new ideas on the subjects.

Joe
Old 23rd Nov 2021, 11:04 pm   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Same as Richard - seperate folders on the computer, with said folders divided into seperate categories like model railway, ham radio, PIC etc.

Most of my rough paper sketchings are transferred to electronic format in the form of CAD drawings, Word documents etc.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 3:05 am   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Here is a screenshot of part of my Projects folder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PROJECTS1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	246472

Typically each sub folder will contain a text document for random notes, and/or a Word document if I need to embed images. An image folder which will include scanned images of any scribblings I have made on paper.

Name:	PROJECTS2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	246473

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 24th Nov 2021 at 3:12 am.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 4:15 am   #6
stevenkw2t
Triode

Like many of us I have project folders on my PC with documentation, images and so on. But I also am very fond of google docs because I can access them using my phone or from any PC. I like to keep summaries and lists as a ready reminder of what I am up to with different projects - especially if I am out and about.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 6:49 am   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The bit of the process that I'm really asking about is the part where you have an item you are repairing or just building and its on the bench with various bits of test gear around it, and you're just checking some voltages to see what's happening. I find it much easier and faster to make those notes on paper, perhaps with very brief notes or little sketch drawings or diagrams.

Turning around to a PC and keyboarding in each value read would seem inefficient to me, but does simplify overall filing.

B
Old 24th Nov 2021, 7:14 am   #8
mole42uk
Nonode

Ah, that’s different. I tend to scribble notes on a printed copy of the circuit diagram or in the service manual.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 24th Nov 2021, 8:00 am   #9
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Some very efficient record keepers there. My "records" are mostly on scrap bits of paper and various note books. About three times a week I frantically search through piles of paper and notebooks looking for circuit diagrams and records of voltages taken. About once every so often I try and bring order to this chaos by re-drawing schematics and trying to collect all relevant bits of paper into one place and put them in a folder. Once every few months I have a cull of scrap bits of paper.

Aside from this I film video's for my Youtoob channel most of which don't get published but this is a valuable record of work done, which wire went where, etc. I also have picture folders in the PC often wrongly labled.

Andy.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 10:42 am   #10
lesmw0sec
Octode

Still being involved in a bit of commercial work, I keep electronic, PC and mechanical drawings on computer (with backup). Software is kept with either SCCS or Visual studio.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 11:00 am   #11
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
The bit of the process that I'm really asking about is the part where you have an item you are repairing or just building and its on the bench with various bits of test gear around it, and you're just checking some voltages to see what's happening. I find it much easier and faster to make those notes on paper, perhaps with very brief notes or little sketch drawings or diagrams.

Turning around to a PC and keyboarding in each value read would seem inefficient to me, but does simplify overall filing.

B
If I'm repairing something I built from one of my own designs, then I update what's on the PC afterwards from notepad scribblings. If it's a commercial piece of gear, it usually gets filed in the head (comes from years of field service practise where it wasn't possible to cart loads of service manuals around).

Updating of the data on the PC is normally done after I've finished rather than during unless I need a coffee break, then, in a rather un-male like process, I tend to do two things at once (although drinking coffee could possibly be thought of as an autonomous response ).
Old 24th Nov 2021, 11:09 am   #12
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I just don’t bother!! I take loads of photos, and sometimes do a little write up on here or over on VRAT, some notes get scribbled on scraps of paper, if I decide they are important I’ll scan them into the PC.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 24th Nov 2021, 11:18 am   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

In my case :

A4 plain looseleaf paper and a Rotring pen for the diagrams I want to keep, like reverse-engineered circuits, etc. At the end of the project I scan those into the PC (and make a backup -- several backups) and put the sheets into an envelope labelled '<devce name> circuit diagram MASTER' which then gets filed in a storage box.

A hardbacked 'bench book' for rough notes, bits of diagrams I am working out, etc.

A similar 'order book' for parts I need so I can do sensible-sized orders rather than ordering a couple of transistors at a time.

Often I'll print out the circuit diagram from the service manual or my reverse-engineered version and annotate it with voltage readings, etc as I am tracing the fault.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 12:56 pm   #14
JonSnell
Hexode

I keep record on my iMac confuser, in a specific folder along with Kicad schematics and scans of front panel drawings/photographs etc.
A copy is kept of the folder in my TimeMachine backup system, just in case.
Some of my designs go back some 30 years and are still in use today.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 1:31 pm   #15
Wendymott
Octode

Like Terry VK5TM. All my projects are in the PC, Separate folders for each project, with schematics in Modern projects and PCB arts in the PCB section. Scribbles when proven are transferred, usually at coffee times, I keep all versions, the "OLD" file has all the previous versions. only the current version is visible. Take my 2 M Transceiver project.. on version 13 of pcb and ver 12 in schematic. Works for me.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 24th Nov 2021, 3:45 pm   #16
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Some very efficient record keepers there. My "records" are mostly on scrap bits of paper and various note books. About three times a week I frantically search through piles of paper and notebooks looking for circuit diagrams and records of voltages taken. About once every so often I try and bring order to this chaos by re-drawing schematics and trying to collect all relevant bits of paper into one place and put them in a folder. Once every few months I have a cull of scrap bits of paper.

Aside from this I film video's for my Youtoob channel most of which don't get published but this is a valuable record of work done, which wire went where, etc. I also have picture folders in the PC often wrongly labled.

Andy.
Pretty much the same as Andy.
Notes scribbled on anything to hand and shoved in an out of date Diary but i only clear out every year or so .
Im not very organised where my brother is totally the opposite complete with filing cabinets etc .
Old 24th Nov 2021, 5:03 pm   #17
G4_Pete
Hexode

Hang over from work - Hard back "Black n'Red" legal log books. Notes include circuits , calculations and anything of interest including personal.
Just flipping through one volume I see an entry 17th May 96 "Metal detector Phase shifts" Still got shingles!

All other circuits etc go in folders on the computer or in the filing cabinet.

I have to force myself to do that as I am naturally untidy and can spend hours looking for things "I know I wrote that down somewhere" if I allow the system to slip.

Pete
Old 24th Nov 2021, 5:21 pm   #18
Kentode
Octode

For my first project, twenty pictures and sixty one pages of research on a Leak Troughline ll with stereo decoder, including the stencils for the wooden casing.

Comprehensive? Yes. Over the top? Absolutely! Worked first time though.

Currently I start by recording with pictures and download service sheets before I measure all resistors and capacitors, and check valves for heater continuity.

I'm going to include a check of transformers and droppers from now on as l recently did a lot of work only to discover an o/c tx.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20211124_160437.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	246496  

BVWS member
Old 24th Nov 2021, 5:37 pm   #19
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I do it all on the PC - lots of photos, particularly useful when you get distracted and come back to the thing a few days later and you've forgotten whether the red wire went to the 300V or the 600V rail.

I keep separate directories for each project and can easily search for text stuff by way of 'grep' and regular expressions.

No paper copies - if I make any scribbled notes then I take a photo to become part of the records. That way there is automatic timestamp on the file.

I guess that decades of needing to keep records of stuff that would stand up in court is good training.

These days proper backups are easy. My filestore is mirrored to a relative who lives in Australia.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 8:40 pm   #20
stevehertz
Dekatron

This is new to me. I've never had the need to keep records of projects. They are generally performed one at a time and I'm not yet at the point where I'm unable to remember the last thing I did even if it was say before I went on holiday. Saying that, I am fastidious about filing data and information. I am sometimes working on more than one project and although I don't keep records I make sure that dismantled parts are carefully stored separately. Work in progress records? Not for me.