UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2021, 2:22 pm   #41
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Radio Caroline Power Increase

So I have discovered that so far, Caroline has increased the height of their mast from 160ft to 350ft. This would explain why some here have found they can now receive it OK.

Currently they broadcast at 1KW, but this is due to be increased. They have not stated yet by how much.
Old 11th Aug 2021, 3:01 pm   #42
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
So I have discovered that so far, Caroline has increased the height of their mast from 160ft to 350ft. This would explain why some here have found they can now receive it OK.

Currently they broadcast at 1KW, but this is due to be increased. They have not stated yet by how much.
Hi
I wonder if they were using the transmitter towers that had been used for ship to shore navigation on Orford Ness? There are the five towers that were used by the BBC World Service, and the shorter ones that were used for ship to shore navigation.
Cheers
Mike
Old 11th Aug 2021, 3:05 pm   #43
paulsherwin

I believe they were originally using the reserve mast, and are now using one of the 5 ex-WS big ones.
Old 11th Aug 2021, 3:07 pm   #44
agardiner
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I believe they were originally using the reserve mast, and are now using one of the 5 big ones.
Yes, that's my understanding too. They need to run tests for the power increase to check that there are no problems regarding the remaining towers.
Old 11th Aug 2021, 5:43 pm   #45

For reference my SdrPlay DX and loop says it is -70dBm and 7.2dB signal to noise, I will report back when the power is upped. It does sound better than 7.2dB SNR.

Old 12th Aug 2021, 2:45 pm   #46
telstar
Octode

I once heard that there were problems with these towers in the 1980's when the BBC World Service used them. The shorter towers were for Ship to Shore Navigation. There was interference caused to the shipping communication system, and the authorities tried to blame it on Laser 558, Caroline & Monique (how very convenient!), but in reality the tall transmitters on the Ness cross - modulated with the shorter masts and this caused the interference
Other stations have used these transmitters in the past, a Dutch station called Radio National. This was a really good music radio station, shame it is no longer on the airwaves.
Now there is no Dutch stations to listen to on the A.M.
I remember seeing the transmitter array from a distance when I returned to Suffolk in the 1980's, the night time illumination could be seen from a hill near Saxmundham, which is over 10 miles from Orford Ness (due to the flat landscape).
I still believe that the so-called interference that the original offshore stations were accused of, probably originated from Orford Ness. It makes a really convenient "hiding place"!
Old 16th Aug 2021, 9:11 am   #47
Richard675
Pentode

Using one of the main masts is an interesting thought. The main array was to produce a beam towards the Eastern Bloc for the WS. I think all towers were “driven” so will present some engineering challenges. It would be interesting to see what computer modelling of the site and proposed new use would show up.

There is a very good YT video about the site. Search for “Farewell to BBC 648”
Old 18th Aug 2021, 2:10 pm   #48
agardiner
Octode

So, they have just had their annual fund raiser. Here is the latest from their website....

'As we indicated, the income will be used partly to improve and extend our broadcast coverage (as recently authorised by Ofcom), and the remaining amount will be used for vital and costly repairs to the Ross Revenge..

We would like to give a very warm welcome to the 173 new members of the RCSG. We were especially heartened that this amounted to an increase of approximately 64% over the number who joined at this time last year. Your additional contributions over the coming months will prove invaluable, particularly in paying the increased power bills for our AM transmitter.'

Will be interesting to see just how much the power is increased.
Old 18th Aug 2021, 3:14 pm   #49
Radio Wrangler

The mischievous imp in the back of my head is waiting for them to have a "Sponsor-a-Watt" campaign.

David
Old 18th Aug 2021, 3:48 pm   #50
agardiner
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The mischievous imp in the back of my head is waiting for them to have a "Sponsor-a-Watt" campaign.

David
HAHAHA. That would revamp the MW band!
Old 18th Aug 2021, 4:20 pm   #51
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

McKellar Watt sausages.
Old 18th Aug 2021, 4:24 pm   #52
crackle
Rest in Peace

Here is a recording of Radio Caroline on my Philips D2935 receiver, the frequency readout on this radio has always been 1kHz high.
https://youtu.be/PqF9-e5BFPo

Mike
Old 18th Aug 2021, 8:53 pm   #53
Sideband
Dekatron

...like going back 50 odd years and listening on my Vesta Vixen transistor radio.......
Old 18th Aug 2021, 9:43 pm   #54
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

This is all a little puzzling. Presumably Ofcom licensed them for some ERP value.
They can can use a 1kW transmitter and put a poor aerial on it, or otherwise, a better one.

The ERP goes up but their mains power consumption and so the electricity bill remain the same.
Old 19th Aug 2021, 8:20 am   #55
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
This is all a little puzzling. Presumably Ofcom licensed them for some ERP value.
They can can use a 1kW transmitter and put a poor aerial on it, or otherwise, a better one.

The ERP goes up but their mains power consumption and so the electricity bill remain the same.
It's hard to imagine Caroline ever getting a significantly better aerial than the one they have!
Old 19th Aug 2021, 8:09 pm   #56
Stadium
Diode

I think @Jon_G4MDC has the nub of the matter.

As I understand it, when using the shorter aerial it required something like 1.5kW output from the transmitter to achieve the licenced 1kW ERP.

I believe the transmitter is transistorised and modular but as it is the transmitter is capable of perhaps 2.5kW (at the output).

On the assumption that the taller aerial is more efficient, then the same ERP will require less power from the transmitter output.

Thus there would be some margin to increase the ERP with the same equipment (subject to permission).

I also have an impression reception where I am (London) improved when the taller antenna was used.

One complicating factor is how one driven aerial within what was intended to be a highly directional eastward facing array behaves. I can't hazzard a guess on that.
Old 19th Aug 2021, 8:40 pm   #57
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Yes, exactly what I meant. Already the antenna efficiency should have gone up.

They could use more of the masts (assuming complete freedom of choice) to build an array that favours all UK, just the East Coast, or else leave it as omni and provide some payback to the Dutch for "services rendered" over the years.

(Missing Arrow 675, which filled a gap for me, back in the day)
Old 20th Aug 2021, 5:48 am   #58
arjoll
Dekatron

Random comment after seeing the title of the thread - I'm not sure if I've shared this before, but found this snippet of Radio Caroline on an old tape of my late father-in-law's. He was in the merchant navy in the late 60s, so travelled the world. I also found some BBC programming, and closer to home some mid-60s 4ZA.
Old 20th Aug 2021, 8:02 am   #59
Radio Wrangler

Thanks to Crackle for that snippet. I'm a bit out of range for anything direct.

What struck me was the large discrepancy between the apparent ages of the voice of the announcer and the voices on the music they play. It's lost the overall sound of the pirates of the period. The presenters have aged, but the voices on their records they play haven't, of course. Back in the day, DJs used to gabble! Tony Blackburn still seems to be able to do it. I haven't worked out whether he's skillfully re-creating his style of old, or whether he's just stuck with it

David
Old 20th Aug 2021, 8:49 am   #60
Andrew2
Nonode

Thanks to Arjoll for that snip of vintage Caroline. It's always good to hear a 'new' snip as I'm sure we've all heard the same bits time and time again on the various LPs, CDs etc over the years.
Sadly, my first tape recorder (the excellent Ferguson 3224) came along just months after Caroline had met its doom.