UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2020, 12:38 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default What's on TPTV

Spilt from this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=173460

Cheers

Mike T

Yes Ken. There's much more were that came from as well

Dave

Thanks for the Marconiphone "heads up" at post 14* Charlie. This is the sort of 15 minute filler that doesn't get listed in the Radio Times TPTV schedule for some reason and the tech films are often shorts of that length. There was [an Arts] one before School for Secrets at 6-30pm last night for example!
I've learned to check on line these days!

Last edited by dave walsh; 25th Nov 2020 at 12:49 pm.
Old 29th Nov 2020, 8:27 pm   #2
DIN Plug Pete
Tetrode

Default Re: What's on TPTV

I've just seen there's a short silent film on Talking Pictures TV at 6 AM 30/11/2020. The program info says:

1930s silent film on The famous Radio made by Marconiphone at 6 a week! A great example of this British manufacturing companies products and services.

Watch on Sky 328 | Freeview 81 | Freesat 306 | Virgin 445

Peter.

Last edited by DIN Plug Pete; 29th Nov 2020 at 8:32 pm.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 3:54 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

Next up within the Forum range of interests is on December 8th at 18.30
'The History Of The Record Industry - It's in The Groove! 1949.
A wonderful look at the rise of the record industry, from its primitive beginnings to the unveiling of the formats that would revolutionise the world of popular music: the LP and the single.'
Set your recorders.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 4:00 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Noted for viewing.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 7:50 pm   #5
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Not exact thread title subject, but watched the Marconiphone film this morning on TPTV. Recognised the AC42, same as what I have, though mine hasn't been touched since buying it. One day, maybe....?
Rob
Old 30th Nov 2020, 8:56 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

I'd made a note but confused 6am with pm somehow Rob. I see it's listed as a silent film showing that set being built. Worth catching next time ?

Dave
Old 1st Dec 2020, 5:11 am   #7
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Nothing being built is shown. Just various models in different situations together with deposit and payment costs. The best scenes are where a ramshackle homebrew selection is dealt with. Credits said produced by amateurs.
No doubt will be a second airing sometime.
Rob
Old 4th Dec 2020, 7:12 pm   #8
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default TPTV Programme about the Record Industry.

Titled, "The history of the record industry - It's in the groove!".
1830 - 1855 Tuesday 8 December.
"1949 A wonderful look at the rise of the record industry, from it's primitive beginning to the unveiling of the formats that would revolutionise the world of popular music: the LP and the single."

Looks interesting,
Rob
Old 8th Dec 2020, 10:18 am   #9
Kentode
Octode

Default Re: TPTV Programme about the Record Industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
Titled, "The history of the record industry - It's in the groove!".
1830 - 1855 Tuesday 8 December.
"1949 A wonderful look at the rise of the record industry, from it's primitive beginning to the unveiling of the formats that would revolutionise the world of popular music: the LP and the single."

Looks interesting,
Rob
Just bumping this. Tonight, 6:30 PM.

BVWS member
Old 8th Dec 2020, 2:18 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

I've just been looking at that Ken. I thought I may have missed it as with the Marconiphone short shown at 6am [post 6*] but as you say, it's on tonight at 6-30 PM !! [A full 25 minutes worth of the record Industry in 1949].

It's preceded by William Tell at 6pm who has a Scientist working for him. That series mixes it's era's a bit but it works.

There was a film [a Musical] about a 1935 Pirate Radio Station at 7-10am this morning "Big Ben Calling" but I didn't spot that one.

At 2-45pm today, a 15 minute short "Snowtime Serenade" Singer and Trio. Recommended.

Just finishing at the moment [1pm] is "Dilemma" [1962] fascinating, frantic, and really interesting. I've been exhausted just watching it previously. It's on again tomorrow but at 2-30 AM!

I really recommend printing out the guide, with a concise synopsis of each offering, from the TPTV Website. Apart from being accurate, it's a very useful future reference and memory aid. Once again the Radio Times TPTV listing continues to omit some prime items ie Showtime Serenade and It's in the Groove are not included there. I've probably missed a lot of good stuff by relying on RT. It seems to be averse to shorts in some way

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 8th Dec 2020 at 2:32 pm.
Old 29th Dec 2020, 6:03 pm   #11
chriswood1900
Octode

Coming up soon NEW YEAR’S EVE (THURSDAY)
The Telephone at Work at 6.35pm. This Rank training film from the 1970s warns of the excessive use of the telephone in our working lives. We’re shown how to conduct business politely by phone. A fascinating film full of trimphones and typewriters.
Old 29th Dec 2020, 6:59 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Warns of excess use ? tell that to those who cannot cross the road without a mobile in there ear!
Old 14th Jan 2021, 11:09 am   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Default Crystal Palace Fire TPTV 12-20pm

Apparently 5 minutes of amateur footage. Maybe showing the JLB TV Studios?

Dave W
Old 14th Jan 2021, 11:23 am   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Crystal Palace Fire TPTV 12-20pm

Thank you I missed that.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 11:54 am   #15
peter_scott
Dekatron

Thanks Dave, I've set it to record.

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOIsenLDU9o

Apparently the Crystal Palace South Tower foundation is to be listed. The South Tower formed part of BTL's premises and was used for their television transmitter aerial. After initial problems constructing the water towers to the design of architect Charles Heard Wild in the early 1850s the design task was passed to I.K. Brunel

Both North and South Towers survived the November 1936 fire and remained until the winter of 1940/41 when they were considered too obvious a landmark for enemy aircraft. The South Tower was dismantled because of its proximity to other buildings but the North Tower was toppled by explosives in April 1941

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crystal-palace buildings.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	224560  

Last edited by peter_scott; 14th Jan 2021 at 12:09 pm.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 1:40 pm   #16
peter_scott
Dekatron

The TPTV footage is very interesting particularly in the next day shots showing the north end still standing.

Peter
Old 14th Jan 2021, 6:42 pm   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

I missed it after all that It seems to be different from all your other interesting links Peter. I only spotted this item because I've realised that the TPTV Schedule is the only one that that can be guaranteed to include all the "shorties" ie 5/10 or 15 min features that are fitted into the gaps. Even then I often forget to look! I notice accusations of arson here and there on the web and it's arguable that JLB suffered the major loss re his Studio and equipment.

The amazing Crystal Palace was of course, constructed for the Great Exhibition in 1851 and in 1951 there was a Festival of Britain to celebrate the end of the war and look into the future. My sense of symmetry and indeed common sense left me appalled when there was such a concentration on "The Dome" at the end of the Millenium as the centre piece of a largely failed enterprise ["The Emperors New Clothes Exhibition"-compare it with Olympics Opening Ceremony in 2012 for example!]. If only they'd had the wit to wait for the 150th Year Anniversary, ie in 2001. The Dome might have had some content, especially regarding TV History and everything else that was planned around it could have been built or started. Just one obvious futuristic/contemporary link would have been the film "2001 A Space Odyssey" on giant screens. Instead we got a damp squib symbolised by feeble fireworks and a hypothermic Greenwich audience on New Years Eve 2000

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Jan 2021 at 6:50 pm.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 9:17 pm   #18
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Dave,

The fire scenes were very similar to those in the YouTube I linked. The next day scenes didn't show much of the south end of the site. I've copied some frames below showing the north end and the crowds in Crystal Palace Parade.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030451 (Medium).jpg
Views:	169
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	224607   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030453 (Medium).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	224608   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030454 (Medium).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	224609  
Old 15th Jan 2021, 8:11 am   #19
dsergeant
Octode

Having recently wandered round CP as it is today all that is left of course are the front terraces. But I was very disappointed in that there is virtually no information at the site giving its history and maybe some of these historic photos. The only publicity board I found at when I was there sadly just told me when the refurbished cafe elsewhere in the park was going to open...

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cp1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	224634  
Old 15th Jan 2021, 9:38 am   #20
peter_scott
Dekatron

I've never visited it but there is the Crystal Palace Museum located next to the base of the south tower in Anerley Hill.

Peter
Closed Thread