UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2023, 6:09 pm   #41
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Surprised at sale price

Lovely reminiscences.... we never had a Dansette, only a RGD219 radiogram, which I tended to use to listen to The Police [the Boys In Blue, not the 70s/80s band featuring Sting] on VHF, and afterwards forget to re-tune it to the Home Service, much to my father's annoyance.

I remember bringing home a copy of Tubular Bells [50 years old this month!] and playing it on the 210; shortly afterwards I built my own HiFi using a Garrard SP25 and 10W-per-channel stereo amp based around OC35s and push-pull transformers, which beat any Dansette into the ground!

Oh happy days!
Old 20th Mar 2023, 8:54 pm   #42
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
...Marty Wilde ' Bad Boy'...
That's a disc I've heard many, many times. It must have been in 1963/4 that one of my father's work colleagues was asking around as to whether anyone would care to pay a small sum for a record player he'd outgrown, together with a bundle of 1960-ish singles he no longer wanted - Marty Wilde, Bobby Darin, Everly Brothers, Jackie Walker, Eden Kane - and Dad decided it would be worth getting to amuse the barely five year old me. There hadn't been any kind of record-playing instrument in the house, my parents weren't interested: but the little two-tone green Emisonic did indeed afford me many hours of enjoyment, until four or five years later I started bringing home bigger and better players from the local auction. I can't recall how I came to part company with it, then once online I started watching for an identical model to come along, and after a number of years this one did. The amplifier is extremely basic.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emisonic.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	275437  

Last edited by Paul_RK; 20th Mar 2023 at 9:02 pm.
Old 20th Mar 2023, 9:26 pm   #43
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

David, as always an informative and illuminating post. Thank you.
Poetry in motion, I remember at the Saturday morning roller skating session in Lincoln, just about staying upright whilst moving slowly and Johnny Tillotson blaring out over the loudspeakers.
In our spare bedroom, I have a Dansette (Bermuda? with the spindly legs). Not looked at since bought maybe 10 years ago. I also have a very tatty one with the am radio built in. That is relegated to the garage.
Around 1958, my sister (8 years older) bought a Dansette that was stereo. I thought the detachable lid contained the second speaker, but looking via google, maybe a separate cabinet housing it?
In the summer, this was set up outside and cattle in the adjoining field congregated to listen! We lived at Willingham By Stow, maybe 12 miles or so West of Lincoln.
I can still remember a lot of the 45s that she bought regularly with her wages.
Ours was the last house right at the very edge of the village. So, there was open countryside right next door. To the North, RAF Scampton control tower beacon could be seen flashing at night, plus V bombers seen during daylight.
Those Were The Days.
That was also a hit song by Mary Hopkin and is one of my all time favourites. Heard a lot in 1968 when I was a youngster on Westminster tx production test at Pye Telecom, Cambridge.
Sorry, for this digression!
Rob