UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2023, 3:08 am   #21
daphnetmckinney
Banned

Default Re: Radio restoration and dentistry.

I can see the similarity between working on a radio restoration and doing dentistry. Both require a great deal of patience, attention to detail, and the use of specialized tools.
Old 23rd Feb 2023, 9:20 am   #22
greenstar
Octode

The electric toothbrush looks to be a potentially useful tool. I have an older one I thought may be good for polishing awkward panels, but have not used it yet. Forward and back, and rotary versions. Could these be adapted as mini dremel type things?
Old 23rd Feb 2023, 7:06 pm   #23
Boulevardier
Octode

A few years ago, the hinged connection between one of the ear-shells and the headband broke off on my Sennheiser HD-530 headphones. Seemed like an impossible repair.

I thought about it. Probably acrylic. What sort of person or profession does minutely detailed work with acrylic? It came to me after a bit - dental technicians. I tracked one down in the small town where I worked and went to see him. He repaired the break in the acrylic and even put in a dental post (sort used to hold crowns in place) to strengthen it. Doesn't look completely pretty, but it saved an expensive pair of headphones, and he only charged me £25.

Help and inspiration can come from the most unexpected places! One of those gas-driven dental drills would sometimes come in so handy in tight spaces.

Mike
Old 23rd Feb 2023, 7:51 pm   #24
Aub
Nonode

When I was a computer engineer, back in the early eighties, the disc drives used multi platter surfaces, half of which faced downwards. A dental mirror was used to examine the downward surfaces when cleaning.

Aub
Old 25th Feb 2023, 4:31 pm   #25
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Skodajag's comment [at p1*] comparing electronic electrical work with Dentistry procedures and the tools involved seems spot on. My [sadly now deceased] mother in law was a Theatre Nurse for many years. I've gained a number of implements and now more, while helping to clear her home.

There's really a general conflation between medical and engineering techniques these days. Not just in Bio-electronics but with the physical procedures. If you want to see really delicate techniques in progress a TV series like Surgeons At The Edge of Life [currently on BBC2] reveals all, especially around the Spinal Cord and nervous system, the electrical core of movement. Of course I do understand that not everyone wants to.

Noel Fitzpatrick, the Ch4 vet, I watch mainly because he designs both his own stainless steel support structures and dedicated tools as well. There can be an amazing amount of screwing and bolting things together, often at a very small scale. He achieves tremendous results with animals that would previously have had to be "put down" and I used to wonder why this wasn't transferred to humans but he was heading towards that [before Covid intervened].
He's on Safari at present treating Rhino's

Dave W
Old 28th Feb 2023, 5:50 pm   #26
Tim
Dekatron

Of course in our game one might need an insulated inspection mirror.

GPO Mirror inspection No1. No prizes for guessing what might have inspired it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58896E5C-FE4E-4243-95A4-43F91FE86261.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	274120  
Old 28th Feb 2023, 6:26 pm   #27
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Dentistry and other stainless steel tools used to be sold at Mobile Rally's and at Model Engineering Exhibitions by Proops, very useful to have especially the locking type. Ted
Old 28th Feb 2023, 6:44 pm   #28
greg_simons
Octode

For many years i was a digital camera engineer, ex dental and surgical tools were mostly what i used, artery forceps tweezers dental scrapers etc, still use them on my projects today.
Greg.
Old 28th Feb 2023, 7:07 pm   #29
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex 2 Base View Post
Dentistry and other stainless steel tools used to be sold at Mobile Rally's and at Model Engineering Exhibitions by Proops, very useful to have especially the locking type. Ted
These days, any 'used' dentistry/surgical stuff is thankfully removed from the downstream chain.

HIV, Spongiform Encephalopathies and the slew of Hepatitis-variants are distinctly-transmissible. They don't survive the clinical-waste smelting at 1800C which used surgical gear now enjoys.
Old 28th Feb 2023, 7:28 pm   #30
ColinB
Heptode

Where's Nick when we need him?
Old 28th Feb 2023, 8:17 pm   #31
turretslug
Dekatron

Smiling affirmitively whilst gently urging a whisker-afflicted Roberts module to "Now open wide, please"....
Old 28th Feb 2023, 9:18 pm   #32
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex 2 Base View Post
These days, any 'used' dentistry/surgical stuff is thankfully removed from the downstream chain.

HIV, Spongiform Encephalopathies and the slew of Hepatitis-variants are distinctly-transmissible. They don't survive the clinical-waste smelting at 1800C which used surgical gear now enjoys.
What I don't understand is if it takes melting down the instruments to remove the risk of cross infection then the risk must always be present in instruments currently being used by dentists, even after sterilisation from each use. I can't say I've heard of any problems with cross contamination. I do recall though in the 1980s when BSE/ nv CJD was becoming evident, mention was made of it being difficult/impossible to remove the risk of cross contamination from dental instruments in regard to the prion protein. On the face of it that would mean new instruments for each patient but that didn't happen.

Regards,
Symon
Old 1st Mar 2023, 11:16 am   #33
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
Where's Nick when we need him?
Probably avoiding anything to do with work on a hobby forum 😄

Aub
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 2:06 am   #34
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

One of the first things I was taught to do as a new TV bench engineer in 1971 was to pop out the spring contacts of the turret tuner in a Thorn chassis, polish them with Duraglit, bend them up to retention them, then curl them back onto their slots. Even after 50 years I've still got the muscle memory to perform this "dentistry".
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 2:21 am   #35
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

Cricky, when I was a kid the instruments were just briefly passed through a Bunson flame before use!
Closed Thread