UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2023, 7:48 pm   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default Capacitor ESR how, high is too high?

I have been testing some surplus car boot caps today, mostly 50s 350V 32uF types. Some brands seem OK at 1 to 1.5 ohms but others come in at around 6.5 ohms. Are the higher resistance ones useable or should they be discarded?
Neil
Old 31st Jan 2023, 7:58 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: Capacitor ESR how, high is too high?

Depends on the C value and the working voltage.
Here is one chart I just found quickly (there will be many more)
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o5LO3MoMO...0/esrchar2.jpg
Old 31st Jan 2023, 9:22 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

Interesting chart. Seems as though the lower the voltage or the higher the capacitance the lower the ESR. Maybe the caps testing at 6.5 ohms may be OK.
Neil
Old 31st Jan 2023, 9:40 pm   #4
Station X

When it comes to valve equipment I've never bothered about the ESR of electrolytic capacitors. So long as you don't have mains hum and the caps don't get warm they'll be OK.

If you want to check them out of circuit I suggest using a capacitor reformer to check the leakage current.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Jan 2023, 9:50 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

There have been various tables and countless homebrew and commercial designs for both analogue and digital ESR meters over the years.

In the early 90s there was a design in Wireless World.

Some ten years or so ago various homebrew designs were also doing the rounds, and I posted my own homebrew analogue meter o the forum, but Chinese multi-testers have pretty much made such projects hardly worthwhile. At the time, I used a chart which Bob Parker, and ESR 'guru' in Australia had supplied. Similar charts give small variations.

Bob Parkers ESR meter site:

www.bobparker.net.au/esr_meter/esrhints.htm

I've attached an analogue meter dial from a typical homebrew meter and you will see that it's graduated 'SMPS' (for low ESR caps for use in switched mode power supplies), 'Good', 'Compare', which means compare the result with a new capacitor, and 'Bad'.

Do remember that with the 32uF 350V caps you have, which would typically be used as reservoir and smoothing capacitors in valve radios and amplifiers, it isn't ESR which you should be concerned about, but leakage, which is really parallel resistance. You can only measure than with the capacitor in circuit operating at its rated voltage.

In a new good condition 32 uF capacitor at its rated voltage, the leakage should be under 1mA, and as a general rule, when reforming an existing one, the maximum permitted would be no more than 1 mA per 30 uF. See:

https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...%20each%2030uF

I recently had a friend who couldn't understand why the anode and screen voltages of a radio were low, yet with by putting a voltmeter across the HT load resistor, noting the voltage drop and working out the HT current flowing, it seemed about right. The reason the anode and screen voltages were low was because some of the current was going to ground via a leaky smoothing capacitor, which had signs of bulging at the end. A replacement cap was fitted and the radio worked fine. (No prizes for guessing what radio it was!).
Closed Thread