UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2020, 1:50 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Leak 2000 receiver

I've just acquired and restored a Leak 2000 receiver. Out of interest, the chassis is marked, 'Barry - 1975'. I guess Barry was an assembler or inspector at Leak back then. Where is 'Barry' now I wonder?

It's in really nice condition except some of the legends have been rubbed off from the fascia - a common problem and also with the sister model that's Wharfedale branded. The previous single owner (I bought it from his son) has made a reasonable attempt to fix it with Letraset but it doesn't quite match, and as normal with Letraset it's a bit higgledy-piggledy. Has anyone taken the step of creating a silk screen to re-do theirs? In truth, I'm not that bothered by it, it sits on a rack with the rest of my collection and the issue is hardly noticeable, but if an easy fix was at hand I'd be interested.

I also got the service manual relatively easy online, but have not been able to locate the user manual. Saying that, I've pretty much got is sussed, it's just nice to have manuals to items.

The 'restoration' was relatively simply, just massively 'bad' connections on all those push button switches, on the front and rear panels. I did them once, soaked them with Servisol and that still did not completely cure all the issues. So, another soaking and much switching 'on and off' of the switches, and it all works perfectly now. It's very sensitive, but it doesn't like close adjacent stations, it flips and sucks around as you try to tune in. That's normal and all well documented by none other than Angus MacKenzie in his review of the Leak 2000 in Hifi Choice lab report book of around 1976. He gave it a recommendation.

Views on this receiver?
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 2:22 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Leak 2000 receiver

Hi Steve I bought one when they first came out, and a pair of 2030 speakers,and a Lenco GL75 deck, with my overtime money , loads of overtime that is , there wasn't much to beat it in the day, nice find well done , Mick.
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 5:09 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
Hi Steve I bought one when they first came out, and a pair of 2030 speakers,and a Lenco GL75 deck, with my overtime money , loads of overtime that is , there wasn't much to beat it in the day, nice find well done , Mick.
Yes, I looked at an old thread about the 2000 that I think that may have been from yourself?
Old 15th Sep 2020, 6:26 pm   #4
Billwin
Diode

Bought my Leak 2000 new from Comet in the 70s. Still going strong and produces a great sound. Volume control goes a bit noisy from time to time and I've had to change a few transistors and lamps.

Leak 2000 still working well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200915_192003~2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	215765  
Closed Thread