UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 10th May 2020, 5:59 am   #1461
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Long Eaton, the home of Living Voice and the place where the Diabolical Artificer grew up, I knew it would be famous for something one day.

Andy.
Old 15th May 2020, 12:37 pm   #1462
ex seismic
Heptode

Not audiophoolery but of the same genre.
https://rowlandearthing.co.uk

Gordon
ex seismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 12:48 pm   #1463
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Good Lord! And I thought the Great British Public's lack of scientific literacy had been exposed by The Sickness. It seems chicanery in general life is just the same as it ever was in Defoe's 'Journal of the Plague Year'.

Obviously people here are not Earthed enough and thus refuse to be practised upon!
Uncle Bulgaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 12:50 pm   #1464
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex seismic View Post
Not audiophoolery but of the same genre.
https://rowlandearthing.co.uk

Gordon
Hilarious! I shall just put my antistatic grounded bench mat in the bed. Then I can absorb all of those free electrons.

EDIT: it also has, I'm sure, a completely illegal plug, that only goes into the earth pin of your UK socket, while leaving the now unshuttered L and N nicely exposed.

Last edited by duncanlowe; 15th May 2020 at 12:59 pm.
duncanlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 1:35 pm   #1465
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
it also has, I'm sure, a completely illegal plug, that only goes into the earth pin of your UK socket, while leaving the now unshuttered L and N nicely exposed.
No no nnooooo It mustn't do that! With the socket unshuttered, uncontrolled electricity will be free to fall out of the socket, filling the bedroom up to the level of the socket. The modern requirement for sockets mounted higher up walls makes this even more dangerous, they may be higher than the level of the person sleeping, unknowing, in the bed.

Researh in this area was done over fifty years ago by an American lady whose name I don't know - she's most famous as the aunt of James Thurber who did publish about some of her research in this area.

I notice the website uses the phrase 'Faraday Cage' thereby adding evidence to the statement that >99.99% of the times when one is mentioned, the context proves that the author hasn't a clue.

They'll have to update the webpage soon to mention 5G, they could be losing sales without it.

It looks a great convenience. We'll be able to take our tinfoil hats off when going to bed! Hoorah!

David
Old 15th May 2020, 4:04 pm   #1466

Quote:
I notice the website uses the phrase 'Faraday Cage'
So did I, 'aint no such thing. I bet Mr Faraday is turning in his grave, to the left or right? Depends on conventional current or electron flow. (there is a flaw in that argument BTW). A switched off electric blanket will be as good?
Old 15th May 2020, 4:53 pm   #1467
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
Hilarious! I shall just put my antistatic grounded bench mat in the bed. Then I can absorb all of those free electrons.
Many years ago I moved into a house in a small village near Munich. I was working in the garden one day when an old man walking past stopped to talk. Welcome to the village and all that and BTW did I know that there were earth radiations here? The funny thing was that these ones were dangerous and could cause all sorts of illnesses, including cancer. The only way to be safe was to be screened from them. For a not insignificant fee he offered to cover my cellar with thick copper rods. Maybe German electrons are different to English ones.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
bluepilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 4:57 pm   #1468
Herald1360
Dekatron

Surely electric blankets are Class 2 appliances with no earth connection. Switching them off would only neutralise you not earth you.
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 5:10 pm   #1469
AC/HL
Dekatron

We're in danger of making some of the lesser audiophools sound normal by comparison.
AC/HL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 5:14 pm   #1470
Alan_G3XAQ
Pentode

I wonder if the earthing bedsheet might remove my need to keep one foot on the floor when retiring for the night to stop the room spinning round after finishing the second bottle of Chateau Pavie 2008?

Alan G3XAQ
Alan_G3XAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 5:21 pm   #1471

There is but one way to find out!

Electric blankets, class II, well most here seems to thinks neutral is near enough earth so it should do the job.
Old 15th May 2020, 5:44 pm   #1472
Radio Wrangler

Sorry, MM, no. Bet they have double pole switches, so you'd have to roast to get any benefit. And you'd still capacitively float half-way to mains.

I take Bill's point. Could we sell under-carpet earth mats to audio aficionados? They could connect it to their box full of high-end soil, and spend many happy hours moving it around for best effect.

Shades of Glen Baxter "We whiled away those long winter nights re-arranging the Gaugin..."

David
Old 15th May 2020, 5:49 pm   #1473
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Well, because https://rowlandearthing.co.uk mentions a research paper (without giving the full bibliographic reference, see https://rowlandearthing.co.uk/pages/science), I ferreted it out

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/

And right at the end it says:

G. Chevalier, S. T. Sinatra, and J. L. Oschman are independent contractors for Earthx L. Inc., the company sponsoring earthing research, and own a small percentage of shares in the company.

So it was not an independent paper at all.

The page of papers cited on the next page relate to elite athletes, those with hypertension, and are often written by those with a vested interest.

So actually complete bunkum.

Craig
Craig Sawyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 7:12 pm   #1474

Quote:
Bet they have double pole switches
Easy, turn its switch on and turn the socket switch off!
Old 15th May 2020, 7:14 pm   #1475

Quote:
So actually complete bunkum.
Oh, I am surprised!

That reminds me to clean my glasses, that will make the voice(s) in my head clearer when reading a book.
Old 15th May 2020, 7:40 pm   #1476
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
... Could we sell under-carpet earth mats to audio aficionados? ...
In a slightly unusual variant on the 'someone's beaten you to it' response, I've also been a member of one or two audio fora in my time and seen an under-carpet issue raised. Some of my friends there are almost as sceptical as we are about this stuff, and they started a very funny thread indeed concerning a claim (not by one of the forum members) that the sound in your room could be killed* if you had the wrong kind of gripper rods holding down the edges of your fitted carpet. They're metal, you see, and so interfere with important things. You need to take them out and replace them with new ones made from the 'right' sort of metal. Our off-forum friend could help you with that, for enough money. Even the more subjective of my audio mates fell about laughing at that one.

Cheers,

GJ

*Popular word, 'killed' - but they don't mean eliminated, just rendered 'lifeless'.
Old 15th May 2020, 7:58 pm   #1477
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Some of my friends there are almost as sceptical as we are about this stuff, and they started a very funny thread indeed concerning a claim (not by one of the forum members) that the sound in your room could be killed* if you had the wrong kind of gripper rods holding down the edges of your fitted carpet. They're metal, you see, and so interfere with important things.
Ah that explains why I don't have that problem. All the gripperods in my house are wooden albeit with the odd bit of metal in the gripper pins. I was intending to spray them with a conductive paint in order to earth the carpet. I'm glad I didn't as the sound would have been awful, though I might have been so much healthier.
duncanlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 8:40 pm   #1478
emeritus
Dekatron

The reference to free eletrons reminds me that a few decades ago, ionisers were all the rage on account of the allegedly health-promoting properties of the ions they produced.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 9:25 pm   #1479
Herald1360
Dekatron

Don't ionisers at least have the merit of precipitating dust (ie. filth, muck and rubbish) from the air? In the smoker days of yore that might well have been a health benefit!

They might even allow "cleaner sound" to reach your ears, getting vaguely back on topic.
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 10:27 pm   #1480
dglcomp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
Bet they have double pole switches
Easy, turn its switch on and turn the socket switch off!
What about double-pole switched sockets? That would make your workaround ineffective and as such if I heeded such advise I would not get the health benefits that are obviously very much needed according to the linked "research".

So now you are saying that I will also have to check my sockets first to see how they are switched adding extra complexity. I just want earthing that works
dglcomp is offline   Reply With Quote