UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2020, 10:02 am   #21
Valvepower
Octode

Default Re: RGD amplifiers?

Hi,

After 46 years it's confession time…

Regards the 50p RGD amplifier I bought from a friends Dad. This was bought with the intention to build an amplifier for disco/guitar use using EL34’s…. so sadly, it came to an ignominious end being morphed into an EL34 amplifier back in 1974.

I stand guilty as charged, mi’ Lord

Regards
Terry
Old 15th Sep 2020, 12:13 pm   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well, you didn't strip it out and it ended up with another perfectly reasonable life.

And a pair of PX4 was about £70 in today's money whereas a pair of EL34 was only about £20......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th Sep 2020, 1:25 am   #23
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good point GJ [post 18*] and Bill's 8 ohm observation is very interesting. Even in an original 1046 cabinet you could sneak in an extra speaker. A few years back, one Forum member got an empty rare RG cabinet and against the odds, replicated the original set up [on top] with a "temporary" modern amp below before sourcing an original. I questioned, if it had been left in place, whether anyone would have noticed and got some interesting and quite intriguing responses. Mind over matter perhaps?

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 16th Sep 2020 at 1:31 am.
Old 1st Oct 2020, 10:03 pm   #24
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Further to my comments about a 4 Cube RGD [post 11*] I was looking up my Marconiphone 292 RG tonight. In the "Best Radiograms 1930's" thread [Machineage 8/1/12 post 10*] I tell the same RGD tale. It's from Radio Bygones [1994] regarding the RGD 1050C. Curiously, I say that I remember the "barn find" story also being in Chas Miller's The Radiophile [The article in RB says it was the electrical equivalent of a 1046]. I'm lucky enough to own one of those [sans cabinet]. I also said that only 3 out of the 4 Barn 1050 sections remained!

Dave

Re the Marconiphone 292, I've asked before but never found another one in anyone's possession I've got the original Instruction Book.

Last edited by dave walsh; 1st Oct 2020 at 10:13 pm.
Closed Thread