UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2009, 11:41 pm   #1
gccradioscience
Retired Dormant Member

Exclamation Ferrite and Loop Antenna for Radio Receivers for LW

I need something that I can use for my main and homebrew radio projects called a ferrite loop antenna which is needed for the long wave bands covering in the frequency ranges from 144 kHz to 350 kHz. I have made a loop antennas before for the MW (AM) bands and have many MW coils, but I cannot accomplish too well for one for the long wave bands. How many turns on a 1 foot frame would be for 144 kHz to 350 kHz using a 365 pF capacitor? Also whats the best wire for long wave loop antennas? Also how many turns do I need to make a ferrite bar antenna for the LW bands and whats the best wire for the ferrite bar antenna? Do I also need a longer ferrite rod instead of a short one?

Adam E.
Old 11th Jun 2009, 12:18 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ferrite and Loop Antenna for Radio Receivers for LW

This thread describes my construction of an ultra simple amplified ferrite rod LW antenna. Several forum members have built it (or similar derivatives) with good results. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to wind your own coil, since I used a coil from a scrap transistor radio. A forum member may be prepared to send you a suitable coil for the cost of the P&P.

350 kHz is above the end of the standard LW broadcast band which ends at 279kHz, but you can probably achieve this by moving a standard coil around on the ferrite rod.

Paul
Old 11th Jun 2009, 2:55 am   #3
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ferrite and Loop Antenna for Radio Receivers for LW

The longer the ferrite rod, the greater the signal pick up will be. You can make a long rod from 2 short ones by gluing the two rods together using a thin glue line. Epoxy or super glue is fine.
John.
Closed Thread