UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2021, 12:07 am   #21
Analogue man
Hexode

Default Re: Crompton 60W bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom williams View Post
Hi all,

I own a Crompton 60W bulb as part of my vintage electrical fittings collection, and was wondering what it is used for, it is bright red, the only things I can think of it being used for are as follows:
The flashing red lights you see at level crossings.
As part of one of those strings you see hung up at events.

If there are any other purposes for this bulb, can you please let me know as it is quite an interesting subject for me.

Tom
The flashing lights on a level crossing were until recently 24v 36w clear lamps shining through a red lens. These days most have been replaced by red LEDs.
Old 26th Apr 2021, 11:16 am   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Getting a bit deep here! LOL As W1 has mentioned it is just a coloured light bulb for decorative effects. I used to stock all the colours in 25W and 60W. High demand at Christmas, parties and weddings etc.
I think 25W was the maximum for outdoor use. They were also available in ES, SES and SBC holders.
The old fairground lamps were for 110V fed from DC dynamos. They are mostly LED now fitted into large plastic shades to resemble the old filament bulbs.
I have a large collection of vintage bulbs going back to around 1905. You would not believe the different types and colours available. The lamp business was a BIG one. John.

PS Ancient Amber 100W lamp still in use in my collection shed. J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amber lamp (2).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	232640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amber lamp (1).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	232641  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 26th Apr 2021 at 11:28 am. Reason: Info and pics added.
Old 26th Apr 2021, 12:36 pm   #23
kellymarie
Pentode

I have several 25 watt colored bulbs in use in my disco room they are Cromton 25 watt bulbs for 200/250 volts they are all ES types guess how I found out that the outer metal screw part was live! My faveroute bulb is a sort of deep orange peach color. In keeping with a vintage theme they are powered via a collection of 2 pin 5 amp plugs into an adaptor in a 2 pin socket. Does anyone know if colored flu lamps still exist or is is possible to color a white tube? Thanks guys

Last edited by kellymarie; 26th Apr 2021 at 12:37 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 26th Apr 2021, 12:58 pm   #24
emeritus
Dekatron

When I was a student I made my own coloured bulbs using sprit-based permanent marker pens.
Old 26th Apr 2021, 1:17 pm   #25
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

My collection of red lamps consists of a 15W Mazda and a 60W Thorn. Both are 200/250V. Are they rare?

B
Old 26th Apr 2021, 2:20 pm   #26
Station X

Some lamps were specified as being "fire lamps" I remember Woolworths selling them in the early 1970's.

"Magicoal" seems to ring a bell regarding the electric fires they were used in.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Apr 2021, 3:25 pm   #27
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Some lamps were specified as being "fire lamps" I remember Woolworths selling them in the early 1970's.

"Magicoal" seems to ring a bell regarding the electric fires they were used in.
They were used in many things, and also in gas fires. My Baxi Bermuda had one either side in pockets.

We also used a firelight bulb in a mockup campfire for Cubs and Scouts for 'indoor campfires'. Blue Peter did soemthing similar, but theirs became an actual fire, if anyone remembers that!
Old 26th Apr 2021, 3:44 pm   #28
emeritus
Dekatron

I bought a set of 10 assorted 25W coloured GLS bulbs (by GE) from Screwfix when they were clearing their stocks of tungsten lamps at bargain prices. Still haven't used them yet! They are translucent like the OP's one, as opposed to transparent. All the red fire bulbs I have seen have had a clear red lacquer colouring.
Old 26th Apr 2021, 4:02 pm   #29
Tom williams
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Dw View Post
Probably a 'vintage' heavy duty bulb designed for use in old fashioned decorative lights, think Christmas or Blackpool....If you hold it up to a strong light source can you see how many supports are on the filament? I would suspect at least six spread over 300 degrees or more....
Hi John,

After just having a look, it turns out that there are 9 supports including the two powering the fillament.

Tom
Old 26th Apr 2021, 5:48 pm   #30
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymarie View Post
I have several 25 watt colored bulbs in use in my disco room they are Cromton 25 watt bulbs for 200/250 volts they are all ES types guess how I found out that the outer metal screw part was live! My faveroute bulb is a sort of deep orange peach color. In keeping with a vintage theme they are powered via a collection of 2 pin 5 amp plugs into an adaptor in a 2 pin socket. Does anyone know if colored flu lamps still exist or is is possible to color a white tube? Thanks guys

Coloured fluorescent tubes still exist, often in red, yellow, blue, green, and pink. The blue, green and pink lamps usually use a coloured phosphor, the red and yellow lamps are coated white ones.

Coloured compact fluorescent lamps are now hard to find but do turn up on ebay.
You can colour your own CFLs by dipping them in coloured gloss paint of the desired colour. Light the lamp afterwards for an hour or so to bake the paint onto the glass. Do this outside just in case a fault ignites the paint. Once the paint is thoroughly dry the lamps can be used safely.

Coloured LED lamps are rapidly taking over, red, blue, yellow, and green are readily available, and other colours exist.
Old 26th Apr 2021, 6:40 pm   #31

Darkroom lamps where made of red glass obviating any chance of a white light leak. Very under run to prolong life and no need for any blue light anyway, just as well they as where not cheap. Somewhere I have one I got second hand in 1970...72 when I got it for my teenage darkroom. Then I discovered the sodium street lights did a better job (at night) and for no cost!

Old 26th Apr 2021, 6:56 pm   #32
broadgage
Nonode

Back in the day, lamp makers offered "natural coloured" lamps. This referred to lamps made of coloured glass rather than clear glass lamps coated internally or externally with paint etc.

The red lamps were more expensive than other colours, this because red glass contains gold, in contrast to the base metal compounds used for other colours.

In the days before good quality fire resistant colour filter materials, much use was made of natural coloured lamps for theatre lighting.
Old 26th Apr 2021, 7:00 pm   #33
Stuart R
Heptode

It's not a 'Fire Glow' bulb, they were clear and agreed, seemed to be a dark orange rather than red.

If I remember correctly, some Fire Glow bulbs used a 3-pin BC base (two electrical contacts but three locating spigots sticking out the side of the base). Were they hotter and this was to stop them getting put within (paper) lampshades?

I remember having to change the bulb holders on a Great Aunt's Berry Magicoal fire when 3 spigots became hard to come by in the 1980s.

SR
Old 26th Apr 2021, 8:23 pm   #34
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I used to sell a lot of them! With the fires that used two bulbs the old girls used to come in the shop and ask why they both failed together. I used to explain that one probably failed weeks ago and you had not noticed. They never believed me.

The two prong fireglow lamps are pre war Berry's magicoal. The post war Berry's is the 3 pin bayonet. Most fires including the Belling employed the standard BC base.

They are single coil 60W types. Maybe Berry's used the 3 pin type to restrict guys from putting in just any old coloured lamp, spoiling the effect or maybe just to charge a bit more for the 'special' lamp. They did not get any hotter than a standard 60W lamp.

When I was first in the trade you could buy stained red glass lamps but they were twice the price of the standard lacquered type that cost 2/6d around 1964. Older people appeared to have a fetish about light bulbs often asking for strange types, finishes, and colours. I stocked the lot! They often called them globes and I had one lovely old dear that called them 'electric mantles'.
Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fireglow (1).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	232684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireglow (2).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	232685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow .jpg
Views:	111
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	232698  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 26th Apr 2021 at 8:45 pm.
Old 26th Apr 2021, 8:44 pm   #35
Megatron
Pentode

www.lampwise.co.uk

Still sell the full range of coloured lamps in 60W.
dont think it is a special lamp. probably modern if it has an aluminium base.
Old 26th Apr 2021, 10:44 pm   #36
kellymarie
Pentode

I will try coloring an ordinary flu lamp using marker pens see what happens advice about powering it up outside is noted it should certainly get my nosey neighbors talking. The 3 pin base fireglo bulbs were about when I restored an old electric fire in about 1981 must admit I was chuffed to find a suitable bulb in a local electrical shop those bulbs kind of had what I call a toffe apple color to them I never tried licking one tho I may be mad im not crazy
Old 27th Apr 2021, 12:43 am   #37
broadgage
Nonode

Still some availability of coloured CFLs on ebay. I suspect that production may have ceased and that availability will decline as LEDs take over the world.
Old 27th Apr 2021, 3:33 am   #38
Lancs Lad
Heptode

I was given a couple of these pink Crompton lamps/bulbs several years ago. They've never been used, still in original boxes.

They're nice to have - and I've no intention of just throwing them away - but I have no idea what I will ever use them for...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20210427_03_19_30_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	232719   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20210427_03_19_12_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	232720   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20210427_03_25_08_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	232721  

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 27th Apr 2021 at 3:46 am. Reason: Additional comments and grammatical improvements!
Old 27th Apr 2021, 7:53 am   #39
kellymarie
Pentode

Looks like the ones above are the BC version of what I have mine are all ES thats just what I was given and yes first thing I checked was that they weren't 110 volt US lamps
Old 27th Apr 2021, 7:21 pm   #40
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymarie View Post
Looks like the ones above are the BC version of what I have mine are all ES that's just what I was given and yes first thing I checked was that they weren't 110 volt US lamps
Twenty years ago I would have done the same, but these days ES lamps seem to have overtaken BC ones going by what's on sale.

The malaise started with stores like Ikea, but has spread to the likes of Tesco Asda and Sainsburys etc.

I beg to report that all the light fittings in my house are still Bayonet Cap (with the solitary exception of the one in the downstairs toilet which a builder managed to sneak in under the radar).

All's well.
God save the Queen.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 27th Apr 2021 at 7:29 pm.
Closed Thread