UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2020, 5:51 pm   #1
Philmac
Diode

Default National Panasonic SG-1200L

Hi, I have just got a National Panasonic SG-1200L. It's in a really good condition, however only one speaker is working. I have checked both speakers and they are OK, I do think it must be the stereo itself. Anyone any ideas?
Old 17th Oct 2020, 6:17 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: National Panasonic SG-1200L

Hello Philmac - welcome to the forum. If this unit has a headphone socket, try plugging phones in and see if you get sound out of both sides of the headphones or only one.

If you have one side on phones missing as well, try the unit in every mode (ie, with every sound source) to see if the channel is dead on all sources or only one.
Old 17th Oct 2020, 8:40 pm   #3
Philmac
Diode

Hi, thanks for your reply. When the headphones are plugged I get sound out of both sides
Old 17th Oct 2020, 9:07 pm   #4
OldTechFan96
Octode

My neighbour has a similar Panasonic unit which had an identical issue with the cassette deck. Cleaning the record/play switch inside of the unit with switch cleaner brought back audio to both channels.
Old 17th Oct 2020, 9:09 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
When the headphones are plugged I get sound out of both sides
That's usually good news, although we will need a look at the circuit diagram to be sure. Just check whether, when you unplug the headphones, the original problem (one speaker off) is still there or whether it has now 'cured' itself.

Can we ask how you determined that both speakers were OK? (You haven't said what you have in the way of measuring / testing equipment.)
Old 18th Oct 2020, 10:26 am   #6
Philmac
Diode

Hi, just checked and when the headphones are unplugged the problem is still there. The way I know that both speakers are working is because I unplugged them at the back and switched them over and plugged them back in. I don't have any measuring or testing equipment
Closed Thread