UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2020, 12:18 am   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Lathe cut records

Hello all

I happened across this while looking up releases by one of my favourite artists, Ariel Pink.

The work this chap does is amazing and his sheer output, combined with his attention to detail is very pleasing.

I have no connection with the chap or the business, but I thought some on here would find his work interesting especially as he uses vintage technology and teaches people about it too.

https://www.michaeldixonvinylart.com/

Martin
Old 14th Oct 2020, 8:29 am   #2
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Lathe cut records

Very interesting thank you for the information.
John
Old 15th Oct 2020, 10:08 am   #3
woodchips
Octode

Yes, interesting, makes you wonder if you could repeat what he does using a centre lathe with power cross feed?

Ummm?
Old 15th Oct 2020, 4:28 pm   #4
Martin Bush
Octode

I have one of his discs coming to me via Discogs. I only came across him when looking for interesting vinyl releases by Ariel Pink. The one that's on its way is supposedly cut on some sort of mirror-type material.

I don't know enough about lathes to answer your question Woodchips

I think what appeals to me is that he's doing something really interesting that can be played on normal record decks. He also does a range of CDs which play on both CD players and turntables (possible because CDs play from inside out and records outside in I presume).
Old 16th Oct 2020, 11:55 pm   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

Hi all

I now have one of the discs I mention above. This one is made on a piece of mirrored acrylic sourced from an off cuts bin. The sleeves is silk screened onto an interesting honeycomb type plastic which was also salvaged.

To me it's a thing of great interest and beauty. All the better for the fact that the disc was created using a 1940s piece of equipment.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201016-WA0000.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	218085  
Old 17th Oct 2020, 8:10 am   #6
saxmaniac
Heptode

There's a chap called Norman Field in the Midlands who makes his own records on polycarbonate sheets, there's YouTube videos if you search his name
Closed Thread