UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2020, 1:48 pm   #1
agardiner
Octode

Default Favorite headphone radio

So a quick general discussion. What is your favorite radio to enjoy listening on headphones?

I have been conducting some tests over the weekend on how different radios sound when listening privately. Although not excluded I am not personally counting DAB listening here, as the appalling bit rates of most stations make them sound terrible anyway. But I certainly can enjoy listening to AM on headphones.

Of interest though, I have noted that many more vintage transistor sets sound far better than most modern ones. Modern sets can sound very good on their speakers, but plug in earbuds or headphones and they seem to lack luster and sound sort of flat. I wonder if many of the modern amp chips are to blame, as give a decent push pull 2 transistor stage and the sound seems 'wider'. Also perhaps, older sets have slightly less bandwidth on FM and soften the harshness that a lot of stations seem to broadcast with?

So what's your favorite? My overall go to set, (fairly modern!) is a Robert R9995 pocket set. Perhaps ones designed for headphones are the best?
Old 13th Oct 2020, 2:59 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Favorite headphone radio

I'd have to say either my RCA AR88 or my RACAL RA217.

Headphones? The classic Airlite-62 of course. If they're good-enough for Concorde-pilots they're good-enough for me! I've got a set here without the boom-mic for when I only need to listen and not speak.

[IMHO the _worst_ headphones are the WWII-era military DLR/DHR types with ebonite ear-caps and a crazily-strong steel-wire spring to keep the ear-caps clamped hard against your lug'oles. After wearing them for half an hour your ears are really paindul; how intercept-operators managed to put up with having to wear them for hours at a time, day-in day-out, totally escapes me]
Old 13th Oct 2020, 3:10 pm   #3
agardiner
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I'd have to say either my RCA AR88 or my RACAL RA217.
Nice!

Quote:
[IMHO the _worst_ headphones are the WWII-era military DLR/DHR types with ebonite ear-caps and a crazily-strong steel-wire spring to keep the ear-caps clamped hard against your lug'oles. After wearing them for half an hour your ears are really paindul; how intercept-operators managed to put up with having to wear them for hours at a time, day-in day-out, totally escapes me]
Imagine using them on a DAB radio tuned to an 64Kbps broadcast.
Old 13th Oct 2020, 3:24 pm   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Whatever DAB's failings for me it's the only thing that's any good on headphones. VHF stereo is a non-starter and for Mono movement tends to loose the signal so negates the whole portability thing. On DAB I may get the odd bit of bubbling mud but far less than the problems on VHF. Mobile 'phone, wi-fi and an internet stream would be second choice.

My favourite device is a 'Bush' DAB/VHF/MP3 thing.
Old 15th Oct 2020, 10:07 am   #5
Brigham
Octode

Anything with a crystal detector is fine by me...
Old 15th Oct 2020, 7:43 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
Anything with a crystal detector is fine by me...
Probably not what the OP had in mind, but for me headphone reception would include, in chronological order:

The crystal set my dad built with a pair of BBC headphones (actually Ericsson)
http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/ericsson.html

The next milestone was my Philips Electronic Engineer kit, and the pair of headphones I used with it. Not part of the kit, a lightweight plastic pair bought separately.

Next I suppose was a pair of DLR No 5 that I used with my R107 receiver

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/mil_gb...s_dlr_no5.html

I actually had two pairs of these, the other one came with a Class D wavemeter and had a lower impedance.
Neither were comfortable to wear.
Closed Thread