UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2020, 8:58 am   #1
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Default Alaskan Net on 2M

Switched the radio on last night and came across this. The Alaskan morning net. Chaired by someone in the states, there were allsorts calling in from M7’s to a bloke that had just had a run in with a coyote

https://youtu.be/ASO99cMKk_E

It seemed to be coming through a repeater. Does anyone know how its implemented, Im guessing VOIP but how does it come out on the radio, and how do I play ? It seems a lot more interesting than listening to two old blokes grumbling about mad crow flu and their wives’ bunions
Old 10th Oct 2020, 9:27 am   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Alaskan Net on 2M

A lot of repeaters are now internet-linked with other repeaters around the country and around the world and there are also simplex 'gateways' on this linked network as well. It's not unusual to be driving around and hear American or Aussie operators talking to UK amateurs via this means on 2m or 70cms.

On 2m in the UK the gateways tend to be on the 'in between' 12.5Khz step frequencies. Simplex gateways are accessed by using the required CTCSS tone so that they can't be accidentally opened by local RF noise alone as that would then be retransmitted by all the other connected nodes around the world.

'Connecting' one node (repeater or gateway) to another is usually done by DTMF-dialling the number of the node you want your local access point to connect to, the access numbers and locations of all such nodes are listed on the support websites of the software which is used to perform the linking.

With the level of local amateur activity having subsided to a dangerous low at one point, this facility provided a new and welcome way to reach out on VHF / UHF amateur radio, although there are inevitably those who dismiss it as 'not real radio' because the link is not point to point between one radio and another.

Unfortunately this is all a bit too new-school for me and I have never actually tried to use it, but if you try looking around for terms like 'Echolink' and 'EQSO' and 'IRLP' that may get you started.
Old 10th Oct 2020, 9:28 am   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

That will be IRLP or Echolink Repeater Linking.
Don't know much about IRLP but Echolink system can be accessed using a phone or PC once you have registered your licence details with them.
Accessing the repeaters usually only needs the right CTCSS tone and/or some DTMF.

Crossed with siriushardware!
Old 10th Oct 2020, 11:04 am   #4
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Superb thanks, will look into it
Old 10th Oct 2020, 1:37 pm   #5

A few moons ago I was having a chat with a bloke in Australia, we were both using 2W handhelds.

Old 11th Oct 2020, 8:40 am   #6
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Ive emailed these lot. http://www.scarsvoip.com/main/
Old 15th Oct 2020, 4:11 am   #7
Oldmadham
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G4WCS View Post
Switched the radio on last night and came across this. The Alaskan morning net. Chaired by someone in the states, there were allsorts calling in from M7’s to a bloke that had just had a run in with a coyote

https://youtu.be/ASO99cMKk_E

It seemed to be coming through a repeater. Does anyone know how its implemented, Im guessing VOIP but how does it come out on the radio, and how do I play ? It seems a lot more interesting than listening to two old blokes grumbling about mad crow flu and their wives’ bunions
A few years back, I just happened upon a Brit ham on the local 2m repeater, using IRLP, & had a nice chat with him.

He had opened the node from his end, so I didn't need to do anything, just talk to him as if he was a local.
After I signed, he went on to make a couple more contacts.

Though a bit interested, I never followed it up---- the old I "couldn't be bothered" syndrome.

Another possibility is a couple of 2m repeaters linked to a 10m one.
Probably unlikely though, with the different allocations for repeater inputs & outputs in the two countries.

Not so hard if you only have to make one link, though--- are you sure the original 'net was on 2m?

From Perth in VK6, I worked a bloke in VK3 through the Melbourne 10m repeater, but he was mobile, using 70cm into a linked repeater.
Closed Thread