UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2020, 6:05 pm   #1
MalcolmG4TJK
Diode

Default Yaesu FT-101Z no tune-up on 20m

Dear All,

I have a recently-acquired Yaesu FT-101Z. All is well except it will not tune-up on 20m.
Specifically, when in Tune mode, MOX positoin, I get a bias current of 50mA on the IC meter. However, when I increase Drive there is no change in current.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Malcolm.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 6:53 pm   #2
Hans PE1KWH
Triode

Default Re: Yaesu FT-101Z no tune-up on 20m

Probably one of the switch wafers damaged/burnt out.
Other issue can be with the crystal oscillator. Missing or dead crystal.

I assume it will receive signals on 20 m ? otherwise the band selector switch can have a issue.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 6:59 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

I think it uses the same variable capacitor for receive preselector as for peaking up the drive, so it's worth checking the receive preselector peaks up normally.

David
Old 10th Oct 2020, 7:32 pm   #4
3CX1500A7
Diode

Hi

My thoughts would be the same as the other responses.

If it's dead on receive on 20 it might be a duff 20m crystal on the premix local PCB (PB-1965)

If it's just tx on that band it could point to some cleaning needed on the band switch

73, Dave
Closed Thread