UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2020, 6:47 pm   #1
3CX1500A7
Diode

Default Yaesu ATU's

Just pondering on the accesories that were available for the FT101B-E series.

There was a scope (YO100/YO101) an external VFO (FV101B), a linear (FL2100B) and a speaker (SP101B) made to match the lineup at time.

When the 101ZD and 901/902 came along there were essentially the same range made (YO901, FV101DM, FL2100Z and SP901) and the FC902 ATU

I wonder why Yaesu never made a "FC101" to match the 101B-101E line-up at the time?

Any thoughts?

Dave
Old 5th Oct 2020, 12:41 pm   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Yaesu ATU's

The clue is that the FT101Z was actually an FT901 - an entirely different design.

The point being that the FT101 series had racked up a lot of respect, so they started by calling the new model FT101Z to make it look like it was just a better FT101.

Being a different design the FT101Z aka FT901 needed a new and different range of accessories.
Old 5th Oct 2020, 6:50 pm   #3
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Im a bit confsued

There were TWO models; the 101Z (in a number of variations) and the 901 with various suffixes (which later begat the 902)

It was not "aka", they are different radios. How different I don't know. The 901 was sold as "upmarket" compared to the 101Z

But I agree the "101" had marketing advantages, they have just resurrected it with the FTDx101D and MP so it must still have "value"

73 Fred
G4BWP
Old 5th Oct 2020, 7:05 pm   #4
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

To address the original question

My opinion is that in the era of the FT101 to 101E "SWR" and matching were not the great obsessions they later became.

Back then people tuned their rig into the match that the antenna presented, a PI tank output stage can match to a range of antenna impedances above and below 50 ohms

Later with the onset of completely solid state transceivers, including the PA, antenna matching really became important and ATUs (if that is the correct name? AMU>?) were more in demand

Early SS PAs were somewhat fragile so people became concerned about the antenna matching to the PA closely

I think Trio-Kenwood evolved over a similar timescale. I cant remember if the TS520 had a matching ATU or not but earlier models didn't. The AT230 came along with the TS530/830

Also I think in earlier times amateurs were more likely to make an "ATU" and not buy it, so much less demand.

I was licenced in 73 and I cant even remember owning an "SWR" meter until 1979, maybe a cheap "CB" type 2 years before which was more used for the built "field strength" meter.

73 Fred
G4BWP
Old 5th Oct 2020, 11:04 pm   #5
Restoration73
Nonode

In the FT101A-F era, an external counter would use discrete components (perhaps
early TTL) driving Nixie tubes, the size and cost would be high and not offer 12 volt
operation. By the time of 101ZD, LSI chips and 7 segment LED displays were cheap.
Old 6th Oct 2020, 9:28 am   #6
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Costly or not Yaesu had an external digital display for the FT101 series which could be used with some other models (FTdx401)

It is the YC601 and there was a later "B" version

TTL logic and Nixie tubes

The "B" could also be used as a standalone frequency counter

73 Fred
G4BWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
In the FT101A-F era, an external counter would use discrete components (perhaps
early TTL) driving Nixie tubes, the size and cost would be high and not offer 12 volt
operation. By the time of 101ZD, LSI chips and 7 segment LED displays were cheap.
Closed Thread