UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2020, 10:26 am   #1
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default Sun Engine Analyser.

I have finally, officially, given up on this analyser. When I was given it, many years ago the multi winding mains transformer was long gone and there were various substitute ones bolted to the chassis. None of them gave exactly the right voltage but close. I got the tube voltages correct but could not get a trace or spot on the screen. Thinking this was because of a lack of final anode voltage I tried various ways of increasing this using voltage doublers etc, with no joy. I put it away for a few years. I tried resurrecting it again recently. I rebuilt the ht/eht tube supplies and compared the voltages with those required according to the tube data sheet.
I then noticed that when switching it on when warm there was a spot flying across the screen. After some thought I pulled the X and Y drive valves, (12AX7). Then when switching on ,lo and behold there was a spot. It was out of focus but bright. Adjustment of the focus and astigmatism pots brought the spot to a reasonable shape and size although still not pin sharp. I checked all the tube voltages and they were all close to the specified values. Closer inspection of the spot led me to believe that it wasn't out of focus so much as modulated. My reasoning, being that it is an electrostatic deflection tube and so has a high impedance. With the deflection valves removed the plates are floating and can pick up noise.
I replaced the horizontal drive valve and powered up. There was a line in the centre of the screen. Shorter than it should be but present. The horizontal shift control moved it across the screen and it appeared to be better focussed.
This proved that the tube worked and the tube voltages were somewhere near correct.
However when refitting the vertical drive valve the trace disappeared off the top of the screen and nothing seemed to bring it back. The main problem, as I see it, is the -170v supply this is low at -110v although it doesn't seem to affect the x axis.
The only way to prove this is to replace the transformer supplying trhe -170 (-110) supply. There is also the fact that the trace is too short and probably many other faults. So its time to call it a day and put it back under the bench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMT99 (1).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	216810  
Old 2nd Oct 2020, 4:47 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Sun analyser

Don't give up now Malcolm, with a thing like this there is plenty of space to lash in another transformer to get the correct voltage

Ed
Old 2nd Oct 2020, 5:37 pm   #3
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

I've not fully given up. Its still under the bench. I may drag it out again when I get bored enough and give it another go. Meantime I'll try another radio from the 'to do' pile.
Old 2nd Oct 2020, 9:19 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

What's a Sun analyser, is it a spectrum analyser?
Old 2nd Oct 2020, 9:24 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Petrol engine oscilloscope, delayed timing light, voltmeter, mixture meter etc combination. Direct competitor to Crypton equipment.

David
Old 2nd Oct 2020, 9:33 pm   #6
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Hello,
on the continent the Sun engine test cabinets were well known and well reputed. Bosch made some similar units, too. I've got the Bosch EFAW-110 (on the to-do pile) and the Siemens VAG 2000 (also on the to-do pile).
Regards, Joe
Old 2nd Oct 2020, 9:43 pm   #7
Buzby123
Heptode

Default Re: Sun Engine Analyser.

I think it's something to do with car engines. Seem to remember seeing one in a garage I used many years ago.

No idea what it did, but it looked impressive !
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 10:27 am   #8
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

To clear up confusion about this beast here a a couple of photos of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2336.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	216913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2337.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	216914  
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 12:23 pm   #9
Refugee
Dekatron

Those engine analysers look impressive with their big dials that can be read from the work area.
They are great fun to tinker with if you have a big workshop with room for a motor vehicle to try it out on.
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 1:08 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

They do a job and do it well. There is an element of styling and showmanship so that punters are impressed, which makes them less liable to question bills....

David (Family business had a Crypton)
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 1:35 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

This one doesn't, it's a boat anchor for now...
Old 4th Oct 2020, 9:11 pm   #12
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Oh, dear, now I know about the big dials!
I have always thought the dials are so big that ageing guys like myself still can read them without glasses. Which have always been left in the house.

Regards, Joe
Old 4th Oct 2020, 9:40 pm   #13
The General
Hexode

That looks like a model QDT83. I have one of those, with a build date of January '72. I've done some work on it but the majority will be a winter project. Not applied any power yet though.....
Mark
Closed Thread