UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2021, 7:38 am   #1
Matthew kane
Tetrode

Default Taylor 45D Calibration and Tech Details

So the restoration itch has kicked in again after 8 years I finally have a 45D coming my way this week.

Is there any specific tech service details or manuals for this tester covering calibration points and key parts to measure/replace if needed fundamental to the operation of the tester? Also what is the FSD resistance/mV per ohm and current measurement of the meter and scale deflection angle if known?

Thanks
Old 17th Jan 2021, 11:41 am   #2
factory
Octode

Default Re: Taylor 45D Calibration and Tech Details

Someone asked about the meters in the 45B & 45C recently, the 45A, 45B, 45C & 45D all have a meter with a 250uA F.S.D. if that helps (45 with no letter is different).

Here are the instructions, which include a parts list, which I think I found on the forum.
45D_operating.pdf

I can't help much more as I never bought one in the end and they are now too expensive to consider.

David

Last edited by factory; 17th Jan 2021 at 11:46 am.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 4:48 am   #3
Matthew kane
Tetrode

Thanks for that, looks like my unit went through a service centre here sometime ago as there was a very old looking printed manual stapled into a booklet with some notes in the back schematics section.

Having a quick look inside the board behind the meter, there seems to be a slider based trimmer resistor to I’d assume adjust the resistance the circuit should see from meter similar to how the ‘swamp’ resistor works in the early AVO testers.

The manual also notes there was a later iteration of the 45D called the D2 which had a 3 x multiplier to measure 3 times the transconductance compared to the 2 x multiplier of the normal 45D tester.

Overall very simple circuit and very clean inside my unit. Have started refinishing the panels and disposed of the old AC cable.

Can the two black box styled diodes/half wave rectifiers be replaced with a 1kv/1A modern part, a’la 1N4007 or similar?
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 1:40 pm   #4
factory
Octode

There are many threads about the 45D & 45D2, I would suggest a search through the old threads for common problems with these.

If you find any black Hunts capacitors then they should be replaced as they are wax paper types.

The rectifiers, you will need to work out a series resistor value to get the correct voltage from the grid control, as the metal rectifiers have a much larger voltage drop compared with modern diodes.

If you didn't get a valve chart with it, the AVO ones can apparently be used for these.

David
Old 25th Jan 2021, 8:29 am   #5
Matthew kane
Tetrode

Thanks I got an original valve book so all good. Did some modification by hooking up a trafo that can go up to 1.25kv at 250mA and a separate meter and tested some NOS Taylor 572B and got pretty close to gm rating originally tested from manufacturer. Going to 3d print some teflon parts as replacement.
Closed Thread