UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2021, 12:15 am   #1
rv2p800
Triode

Default Philips GM7633/ Cartomatic III valve tester

Having this valve tester sitting around for over 30 years, I have neither liked it -nor trusted it -. The few components that can go wrong have been replaced and the tester works "ok".

My AVO Mk2 & 4, I-177 with its MX949 (& soon to be completed with a Funke W19S) are my preferences when a valve is to be tested, not the Cartomatic.

To this tester I have a set of conversion sockets and a large lot of test-cards, valves from the late 50's, even with the card-punching unit in a separate suitcase/box.
Some cards seems to have been produced/punched by the local technicians to their needs after updates no longer was available.. No written information whatsoever followed the tester, however.

I have downloaded all sorts of information off the interweb, different manuals and diagrams, from different sources, even a online valve to test-card conversion ! Fantastic !
I still just do not understand how to produce a new test card, if wanted As mentioned, i have about hundred -if not more testcards for the most valves from pre-war types to types of the 50 - 60's in the box.

Being a emission tester, all elements tied as a diode, does anyone have any experience in how "accurate" this tester is compared to "any other" emmision valve tester" ? This is my major question ;-)

There must be a reason why a giant in electronics - Philips perhaps the largest Valve manufacturer in Europe (with Mullard), so soon gave in with a presumable good valve tester, to Max Funke, Mullard, AVO, Metrix et al in Europe.

The obvious answer to how it compares to other testers would be: - You having so many testers - do the comparison yourselves!

Yes, but from my point of view: So many instruments to mend, so little time, so why re-invent the gunpowder again -and again ? Sooner or later, time permits, I will find out myself - non conclusive

Hopefully my version of the "Sussex" will be brought to life this year, according to my components at hand - time being the limiting factor to this project - as well - and as always...
Erik/
Old 16th Jan 2021, 11:33 am   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Philips GM7633/ Cartomatic III valve tester

For those who want to know more about this beast there is a good deal of information here:
https://frank.pocnet.net/instruments...30/GM7630.html

I have The Mullard test board in its slumbers which was probably also a Philips design.

https://mullard.org/blogs/news/aa-1

Cheers

Mike T
Old 16th Jan 2021, 12:54 pm   #3
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Philips GM7633/ Cartomatic III valve tester

Its always good to read about other valve tester enthusiasts, Erik. If your AVO VCM MK4 is working OK, you should be able to use it to reasonably AC standardise a decent triode or pentode valve, & therefore see how accurate your GM7633 is for Ia and Gm.
Alternatively, you could undertake a bit of cross-Scandinavian Border valve testing, by asking Martin Forsberg(aka Dekatron) in Linkoping, Sweden, if he would kindly test a couple of your decent NOS valves on his magic Roe-Test.
The AVO Manual for the MK4 also shows you how to DC standardise a wee CV455 or 491(ECC81 or ECC82). If you've got two or three valves in the 10mA to 50mA range of Ia, which have reliable Ia & Gm characteristics, then you're set for regularly calibrating all your valve testers.

Regards, David
Closed Thread