UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2021, 1:22 pm   #1
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Hameg 205-3 broken!

This morning, whilst I was grappling with an Italian FM generator (and that's a story in itself), my trusty, owned-from-new, thirty year old Hameg 205-3 'scope failed! Suddenly, no timebase at all, and swinging the X-pos control from end to end moves the spot very, very slightly from side to side. I suppose it's a power rail or something of the sort. Fortunately, Rhode & Schwarz offer the manual for free download, but still...
Old 9th Jan 2021, 4:20 pm   #2
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: Hameg 205-3 broken!

Murphy........ again.
Old 11th Jan 2021, 8:36 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Well, it looks like that was a simple one. The manual sensibly suggests a careful internal inspection and re-seating of connectors. Nothing obviously wrong, but I did re-seat a thick ribbon which looked a little loose. Turned on with meter at the ready, and was greeted by normal operation! Turns out that ribbon carries the drive to the deflector plates...
Old 11th Jan 2021, 11:38 pm   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

Pleased it was a relative easy fix as I've always thought that reliability is one of the great strengths of Hameg analogue 'scopes. I've been using my 203-5 today which, touch wood, hasn't missed a beat since I bought it a few years ago.

Alan
Old 12th Jan 2021, 8:13 am   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I've certainly used mine - all that's really wrong with it is a that a couple of BNC sockets are slightly loose and the coupler for the timebase trim pot has the usual fractured hub - I'll replace that with a metal coupler in due course. Not at all bad for somethimg I bought around Christmas 1990...
Closed Thread