UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2021, 8:34 pm   #21
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Dansette covering?

I will have to ask my mate Tony at the Larkhall Inn where I drink most lunchtimes. He used to make Dansette record player cabinets as well as Roberts radio cabinets when he worked at Bath Cabinet Makers (later Arkana) during the 1950s and 1960s. Many radio and TV cabinets were made here in Bath including cabinets for Dynatron amongst many others. If anyone would know what materials were used then he should, I will try to catch him on Friday.
Neil
Old 24th Jun 2021, 7:40 pm   #22
Mr_H_RetroTech
Triode

Thanks very much Neil. That is very good of you.

Barry
Old 9th Jul 2021, 3:22 pm   #23
newlite4
Octode

Well, I had a chat with Tony today (he has been on holiday for a week). All completed cabinets made at Bath Cabinet Makers were veneered, these were cabinets for radios, televisions and radiograms. All cabinets for portable equipment such as for Roberts, Hacker and Dansette were made as bare-bones plywood cabinets and then sent out to another plant for the covering stage. I am fairly sure that Roberts radios were finished off in Walcot Street (only a five minute walk from home) but anything bigger was sent further afield.
Attached image shows both the old and new factories where cabinets were made. The new factory is now a Lidls store and is a listed building.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	https3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.comlowres-picturecabinet.com51main471140956.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	237366  
Old 10th Jul 2021, 12:51 am   #24
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_H_RetroTech View Post
My understanding is the Rexine material is the faux leather effect stuff. My 1963 Dansette Bermuda (cream & teal) is covered with something more akin to a linen cloth. Very thin, a clear cross weave material with a sort of coating.
Rexine was a type of nitrocellulose coating on fabric, also used in car trim and bookbinding, often with a leather grain imprint. As it became considered too dangerous to produce the nitrocellulose covering, alternatives came about. Re-doing some of my ancient car trim, I got samples from FJ Ratchford which has a wide range of Rexine-like materials, and specifically mentions the original stuff.

It's worth having a look as, while not an exact match, they have a number that are a similar flexibility and can certainly be used as a vibrant and personalised covering material.
Old 10th Jul 2021, 9:20 am   #25
vidjoman
Dekatron

I think the 'alternative' coating was PVC. Certainly smells similar to a reel of PVC covered cable when new. Best quality was a fine cotton cloth but cheaper alternatives, usually on cheaper makes, was printed paper which sometimes had a PVC coating and sometimes a cheaper sort of flexible varnish.
Old 12th Jul 2021, 11:32 am   #26
Mr_H_RetroTech
Triode

Thanks again Neil. An interesting piece of history

Barry
Old 12th Jul 2021, 11:37 am   #27
Mr_H_RetroTech
Triode

Thanks Uncle Bulgaria, that is really helpful.

The Rexine (or Rexine lookalike) seems to be the most common used by Dansette restorers and I have not been able to find anything remorely resembling the cloth appearance of my Dansette Bermuda. However, the link to FJ Ratchford you posted looks promising. They certainly have many more options available than other places I have searched.

I shall have to settle down to a good browse through the Ratchford website

Barry
Old 12th Jul 2021, 11:41 am   #28
Mr_H_RetroTech
Triode

Thanks vidjoman, another very helpful tip.
Old 5th Sep 2021, 1:40 pm   #29
whyperion
Hexode

my father used some kind of printed paper - also appears used on record cases as I have one in front of me now and its wearing on the folds badly. I heard on Youtube the paper types are no longer avalible, is that true ?
Old 9th Sep 2021, 9:36 am   #30
Mr_H_RetroTech
Triode

Yes, it seems the original paper covering is no longer available. However, the Ratchford link I mentioned earlier looks encouraging. They sent me some samples which look like they'll do the job.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 11:37 am   #31
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Ratchford's sample cards are remarkably attractive!
Closed Thread