UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2022, 5:17 pm   #1
newstart
Triode

Default BSR UA15 Turntable

I have a Dansette Monarch RG65 with a BSR UA15 turntable. The problem is that the Stacking Spindle quite often allows records to drop down when they should be held up ready for dropping. Sometimes when stacking records on the spindle ready for playing the spindle won’t hold them up. Any ideas.
Dave.
Old 24th Jan 2022, 5:29 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR UA15 Turntable

The spindle should click into place when it's pressed down, It is held in place by the circlip
round the base of the spindle, and hold the turntable on. If that circlip is missing, then the spindle will not be secure.

Barry
Old 24th Jan 2022, 10:57 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

Barry, I think your confusing a BSR with a Garrard.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 25th Jan 2022, 6:39 am   #4
Kentode
Octode

Dave, you might like to start with checking the hole in your records! They can become oval or just oversized with use. I'm presuming that you have mono LP's for this particular model, making the records at least sixty years old.

BVWS member
Old 25th Jan 2022, 11:16 am   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
Barry, I think your confusing a BSR with a Garrard.
Yes, I am!

Barry
Old 25th Jan 2022, 4:29 pm   #6
newstart
Triode

Thanks all. Record player is at daughters at moment. I don’t think there is a circlip,the spindle just clicks in. I will have to check and come back.
I also have a Dansette Hi-Fi and a Bush SRP31....The aroma of wood and warm Rexine.....Priceless !....Dave. (Newstart)
Old 25th Jan 2022, 5:47 pm   #7
Chris R
Pentode

Hello David

There should still be a circlip which holds the turntable in place, but not the stacking spindle.
I have had a similar problem with a number of BSR 'C' series decks, although not the UA15. The spindle has a projection at its lower end, which engages in an indentation in the operating mechanism.
There is a notch in the upper face of the turntable bearing boss. This should face the 'magic finger' size detector. Sometimes this gets turned and as a result the spindle turns with it, so that the mechanism cannot move it properly. This can be remedied by persuading the boss back to its correct orientation and the fault is usually cleared.
Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 26th Jan 2022, 5:43 pm   #8
newstart
Triode

Thanks Chris, will check on Saturday...Dave.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 12:08 pm   #9
Mister T.
Triode

I may be stating the obvious, but sometimes the most obvious of things get overlooked. At the very top of the stacking spindle there is a metal guide (for want of a better name). This will allow the record (s) to be lifted off the turntable and centre spindle when they have been played, but also allows only one record to drop when playing several records automatically. This metal guide will be pushed upwards when unloading records but should then drop down to stop all but the bottom record from dropping during the automatic cycle. Sometimes this may not drop fully down, thus allowing more than one record to drop at a time.
The only other (obvious) help I can suggest is that the centre holes of some of the records may have been worn with lots of use on autochanger players.
Good luck! Tony
Old 31st Jan 2022, 10:38 pm   #10
newstart
Triode

Thanks Boffins. Removed the circlip and spindle checked everything and all seemed to be in order. The centre holes in the records are ok. I have a large collection of 45s. Loaded six 45s on the auto changer and they all dropped correctly. I will test it on and off. I wondered if there is anywhere I could buy a new turntable mat from. Dave
Old 31st Jan 2022, 10:47 pm   #11
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstart View Post
I wondered if there is anywhere I could buy a new turntable mat from. Dave
Ikea

Seriously, this came up recently and there was a place mat sold there which fits the bill nicely!
Old 31st Jan 2022, 11:05 pm   #12
newstart
Triode

Wink Re: BSR UA15 Turntable

Thank Ben, yes I will check out Ikea, they should have a good selection of mats !
Old 31st Jan 2022, 11:20 pm   #13
mark_in_manc
Octode

Here's the thread, also available in black. A really smart solution, I ought to buy a couple!

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=179696
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 11:01 am   #14
John10b
Nonode

Dansette.com sell them.
John
Closed Thread