UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2022, 2:30 am   #1
markfff
Tetrode

Default Warped and yellowed dial cover

I found this little gem today and am rather pleased with myself. It's an FM tuner at least 70 years old and nearly pristine other than some minor scratches, and a warped and yellowed plastic cover over the dial. All the parts appear to be original, including the tubes. And it not only has the original knobs, but the felt pads underneath.

The problem is the plastic cover. I tried plastic cleaner and headlight restorer on a hidden edge and it did nothing. I'm not sure what's the best thing to do with it at this point, does anyone have suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220127_193852.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	250592   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220127_184726.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	250593   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220127_184856.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	250594  
Old 28th Jan 2022, 3:08 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Warped and yellowed dial cover

Nice tuner, pre-dating any we have over here. I'm guessing the cover is celluloid, which would mean (a) that it's highly inflammable, so treat with care: (b) that there probably isn't much that can be done for it beyond gentle cleaning, I've used Brasso (a liquid metal polish) in the past and an old thread here refers to doing the same and living with the shrinkage. By cutting a block of wood of the right dimensions it would be simple enough to produce a replacement if there's an available clear plastic sheet that softens when warmed - if anyone here has discovered something suitable they'll let us know, though personally I confess to being partial to a somewhat yellowed, even warped, original window. Another old thread I landed on suggests that stocks of celluloid sheet itself could still be available, if at what might be a daunting price.

Paul
Old 28th Jan 2022, 8:47 am   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

That cover looks absolutely fine to me with its yellowed patina, totally in keeping with the lovely vintage set that it is. I wouldn't replace it for no money, just carefully restore its smooth, shiny surface using Brasso. Job done, truly lovely little tuner!
Old 28th Jan 2022, 10:20 am   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

The yellow is partly due to absorption of ultra-violet light from normal daylight.....worse if left in a bright room with natural sunlight. The UV seems to penetrate into the plastic and no amount of rubbing will completely clear it. Best thing is to clean it and then just enjoy the tuner.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 10:54 am   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Celluloid is composed of nitrocellulose and camphor. It’s highly inflammable and inherently unstable. It was widely use till the early 1950s for motion picture films, but highly inflammable and would spontaneously ignite at temperatures above 150F form hot projector beams, so was replaced with acetate. Used for table tennis balls till 2014, and musical instruments – accordions, and fountain pens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celluloid

It’s just possible that the window is celluloid, but that usually 'yellows' with age, which yours hasn't, so it looks to me like it's acetate which had largely superseded celluloid by 1950. I can understand why you might want to replace it - it doesn't look 'aged' - it looks like it's dirty and needs a good clean, but the discoloration will be caused by UV and will be right through the window - not just on the surface.

If you want the window to look ‘new’ and clear, I think the only option would be to create a new one using acetate of the same thickness (maybe 1 – 2mm?), to heat it, and use male and female moulds (US Eng 'mold') made from wood to press the heated sheet into shape. If the sheet is placed on a tray in an oven set to 125C (250F) for 15 – 20 minutes, it should be pliable enough to press it to shape using the two-part mould.

I've attached a rough sketch to show what I mean.

The aperture in the female mould would need to be larger than the length and height of the male mould to allow for the thickness of the acetate sheet.

Clear acetate sheet 1mm/2mm thick is widely available in small sizes such as A4.

There's lot of information on internet how to mould acrylic sheet using heat. Here for example:

https://www.wikihow.com/Easily-Mold-...Plastic-Sheets

I have two 1950 radios that I restored which - though different brands - are almost identical, both of which have discoloured 'blister' windows. I considered making replacements windows but as the dials are themselves cream/yellow coloured, the yellowing of the windows isn't so noticeable, so I left them in place.

Hope that helps a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acetate Window forming for radio dials.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	250606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Princess & Noble 'Twins' copy.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	250607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Portadynre Princess dial.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	250608  
Old 28th Jan 2022, 2:44 pm   #6
markfff
Tetrode

Thanks all, I think I do have a can of Brasso around here somewhere. Besides the yellowing it also has a haze over the surface, so I'd like to get it cleaned up a bit but don't want to risk ruining it. Fortunately it the flange is not visible when installed, so I can use it for testing. I do like the idea of moulding a new one David, so I'll probably give it a try, if nothing else just to see if I can do it.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 3:04 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfff View Post
Thanks all, I think I do have a can of Brasso around here somewhere. Besides the yellowing it also has a haze over the surface, so I'd like to get it cleaned up a bit but don't want to risk ruining it. Fortunately it the flange is not visible when installed, so I can use it for testing. I do like the idea of moulding a new one David, so I'll probably give it a try, if nothing else just to see if I can do it.
To polish out the haze, first make a 'pad' out of a suitably sized cloth and position it underneath that raised section of the cover such that it supports it. That way you're less likely to accidentally damage it by pressing it in and fracturing it.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 6:51 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Can't you just cut out a suitable replacement from a sheet of 21st-century polycarbonate/acrylic? [the stuff used for greenhouses is worth looking at]. I've done the same with yellowed/distorted celluloid dial-windows on vintage R1155 RAF bomber-radios, the result is rather good.
Old 28th Jan 2022, 8:29 pm   #9
Glowing Bits!
Octode

That dial doesn't look too bad, I have dealt with worse in the past.
Old 29th Jan 2022, 1:34 pm   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

I'd imagine that lens was originally vacuum-formed, there's a youtube video of how to vacuum-form sheet plastic at home.
Old 29th Jan 2022, 2:24 pm   #11

MDF is a great material for short run vacuum forming moulds, it is porous and therefore can "transmit" a vacuum.

Old 30th Jan 2022, 4:37 pm   #12
markfff
Tetrode

I just ordered some thin acrylic sheets, so I'll give it a try. Thanks for all the help
Closed Thread