UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 22nd Dec 2023, 5:56 pm   #1
Steve_Bell
Hexode

Default What nut thread is this?

I'm referring to the nuts used on panel-mounting toggle switches, fuse holders, etc.

It appears to be 0.5 inch diameter but I would like to know what thread form it is.
Steve_Bell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2023, 6:04 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: What nut thread is this?

I have always assumed it was 15/32 UNEF.

Bulgin simply state 15/32 X 32 tpi.

Last edited by barrymagrec; 22nd Dec 2023 at 6:15 pm. Reason: extra info
barrymagrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2023, 8:50 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Steve, I think there were one or two different sizes as the OD varies between makers.

I have a good selection of nuts if you need any

Cheers. Ed
Ed_Dinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2023, 9:28 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

Some rotary switches of continental manufacture (such as Elma) use a M10 x 0.75 thread, but I have never encountered any toggle switches with this thread type. This thread size was also used on the pot and tuning shafts of the car radios made for Ford by Plessey in the late 1960's.

The technical section of the 1936 Bulgin catalogue simply said that all bushes were 15/32" × 32 tpi: the UNEF standard hadn't been established at that date. I would think that manufacturing tolerances would mean that either the 55° Whitworth form or the 60° Unified form would mate in either direction, rather like the 1/4" Whitworth/UNC thread used for attaching cameras to tripods.

Last edited by emeritus; 22nd Dec 2023 at 9:53 pm. Reason: typos
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2023, 5:32 pm   #5
pmmunro
Octode

Steve,

Might this be the necessary stimulus to invest in a set of screw thread gauges? Your 'hexode' status suggests that you have, and probably will meet this problem more than once. With a set of screw thread gauges and a digital calliper, you'll never need to wonder again - the thread tables are easily downloaded.

PMM
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2023, 9:22 pm   #6
Steve_Bell
Hexode

Thanks for all replies. I'll investigate screw thread gauges.
Steve_Bell is online now   Reply With Quote