UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2022, 6:38 pm   #1
buggies
Heptode

Default Help valuing keyboard please.

I have an Acer keyboard which came with a very expensive Acer 286 desktop in about 1987.
I believe the switches used are (or were) popular with "enthusiasts" but I have not really found any on ebay to compare. Could anyone give an opinion on the starting price/reserve or point me to a better forum to ask?

It was used for many years running a DOS PCB CAD system which made a lot of use of the function keys - so there was a template over them.
I made use of the recent sunny spell and attempted bleaching with mixed results - before and after pics. The keyboard looks brighter but not really good enough as a selling point - it is also missing a thin rubber foot. It is PS2 only - not USB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acertop.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	263236   Click image for larger version

Name:	acerkbd.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	263237   Click image for larger version

Name:	acerkeys.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	263238  
Old 20th Aug 2022, 7:08 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Help valuing keyboard please.

It doesn't look anything like the sacred IBM 'model M' buckling spring type.

Don't expect to make more than a few quid for it. Acer isn't really anything more than a cheap and cheerful brand.
Old 20th Aug 2022, 7:21 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

I don't think there's anything special about that keyboard, but I could be wrong. I'm sure I've got several the same up in the depths of the loft!
Old 20th Aug 2022, 7:25 pm   #4
wireman
Heptode

It is amazing how well keyboards can clean up, I purchased a new Sun Microsystems Type 6 keyboard (control left of A, rare now and can be $100-$150) last year and someone at work took the old one that was very grubby after 10+ years of use and cleaned it up a treat.
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 7:45 pm   #5
buggies
Heptode

Sorry for delay in replying - thanks for the responses.

I have done a bit more digging by using the model number KB-102AS (UK version of KB-101) and found that it does use Alps blue switches which were very popular a few years back. Cherry seem to be more in vogue nowadays.

Tried it on the wife's PC which has PS2 input and she was impressed with the key action (trained copy typist) so I may just keep it now it looks a bit brighter.
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 9:34 pm   #6
majoconz
Heptode

buggies said:
Quote:
Tried it on the wife's PC which has PS2 input and she was impressed with the key action (trained copy typist) so I may just keep it now it looks a bit brighter.
I had the same problem with a mid-70's Compaq keyboard - nice clicky keys a solid stop at the bottom of the depression - my stepdaughter stole it and gave me the awful keyboard that came with her desktop. Fortunately I found a suitable replacement in an op shop which is easy to take apart and have a good clean.