UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2022, 3:37 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default BBC Making Match Of The Day (1974)

A really fascinating look behind the scenes of Match Of The Day in 1974. Lots of details to see in this and lots of shots of OB equipment and studio hardware of the day. Interesting to see a domestic Decca CTV19 dual standard colour tv in use as a monitor (around the 10m15s mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3PdcXNKLTQ

Well done to those at the BBC Archive channel for digging out these amazing clips!

Steve
Old 24th Sep 2022, 5:36 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC Making Match Of The Day (1974)

Fasc-i-nating....

But I wonder if there are any recording of the actual games from back then??

In another current thread it's mentioned that there are insufficient 'head-hours' remaining on the old playback machines to transcribe and digitize the extant video content. Which leads me to ponder what are the criteria used to select what-gets-saved and what misses the lifeboat.

To me, Football and Rugby matches are just as important bits of socio-economic history as plays and classical music concerts.
Old 29th Sep 2022, 1:14 pm   #3
greg_simons
Octode

Default Re: BBC Making Match Of The Day (1974)

A world so familiar and yet so distant, seeing so much smoking seems alien now, a great shame the playback vtr's have limited head life, we forget that a lot of our memories are contained on stock that's only accessible via machines that are on borrowed time and impossible to replace.