UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2022, 8:38 am   #21
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Pp39

Quote:
I don't suppose there's any harm in putting the EPROM in a socket and then putting the socket into the programmer?
No, although sometimes the pins on sockets don't have the long reach that the pins on ICs do, and turned-pin sockets in particular sometimes don't sit very well in ZIF sockets because the 'fat' upper part of the pins on a turned pin socket doesn't let the socket fall far enough into the ZIF socket.

No harm trying though.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 10:15 am   #22
ScottishColin
Octode

That did the trick - the 2716 into a non-turned pin socket then that into the ZIF socket and it all programmed and verified without an issue and is now running the diags on my PET.

Thanks.

Colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Quote:
I don't suppose there's any harm in putting the EPROM in a socket and then putting the socket into the programmer?
No, although sometimes the pins on sockets don't have the long reach that the pins on ICs do, and turned-pin sockets in particular sometimes don't sit very well in ZIF sockets because the 'fat' upper part of the pins on a turned pin socket doesn't let the socket fall far enough into the ZIF socket.

No harm trying though.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 10:17 am   #23
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Some people have all the luck. I suggest you buy a lottery ticket as well.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 4:52 pm   #24
ScottishColin
Octode

OK - struggling with the 2532 for Slothie's latest code. I'll attach some screenshots of the software as I can't find a COPY option, but there are offset options. Is there anything in here that will allow the code to be copied to the upper half of the 2532?

I can't find any COPY option on the physical device either.

Colin.
Attached Files
File Type: zip StagView Screenshots.zip (123.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 6:32 pm   #25
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Of course not, just because I specifically said there would be a COPY facility.

Highly unusual though.

Load the code in the usual way, which will load it at 0000-07FF, and then load it again but this time with a RAM offset of 0800. (I would expect +ve, not -ve). That will load a second copy of the code at 0800-0FFF.

If you then browse to addresses 0000 and 0800 using the software's hex viewer / editor you should see that the bytes at 0000-> onwards and 0800-> onwards are identical. Once you have that, programme the chip with the whole 4K, 0000-0FFF.

I notice the programmer seems to be in GANG mode at the moment - I would expect that means it is trying to program devices in both sockets with the same code, but maybe I just don't know the programmer well enough. If it is trying to programme two devices simultaneously it may be trying to verify them both and of course it will fail to verify the second one since it is not present. That could potentially give you some unwanted programming errors and I would think you need to change it from GANG mode to 'single device' mode, whatever the programmer calls that.

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 2nd Sep 2022 at 6:44 pm.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 10:46 pm   #26
ScottishColin
Octode

Struggling a little with this but I will persevere tomorrow.

In the meantime, is there a 2K EPROM I could buy that would do the (one-off) job here?

Colin.
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 12:20 am   #27
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Off hand, not really, there are hardly any programmable devices which are a good electrical / signal compatible fit in the UD9 socket, the 2532 being one of the very few. The most common 2K chip is obviously the 2716 but as you know, you have to use an adaptor to run a 2716 in the UD9 position.

I am going to be on a long journey for most of the day tomorrow - zooming past you at one point, actually, as mentioned a couple of weeks ago. We won't be stopping anywhere, so there's no need to get the good china out.

All that's needed is for someone to load the 2K Slothie test code .bin file into a hex editor at 0000-07FF and again at 0800-0FFF, and then save 0000-0FFF as one 4K .bin file and post it here for you (wrapped up in a .zip, as .bin is not an allowed attachment type).
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 12:46 am   #28
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Incidentally the manual for the PP39 suggests that the programmer itself does have the usual features for moving chunks of code around, but it calls it 'block mode' rather than 'copy'.

I also think you still need to change the 'bit mode' of the programmer from GANG mode to '8-bit mode', but you will need to read up about how to do that.

I would expect that the Stagview software might be able to change these settings but maybe it only supports the basic blank check / load file / program / verify / read device / save file functions common to all STAG programmers.
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 8:38 am   #29
ScottishColin
Octode

I had not thought of concatenating two sets of code together. I think I'll give that a try.

Safe journey.

Colin.
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 9:27 am   #30
ScottishColin
Octode

That worked.

The windows command is:

copy /B petdiag.bin+petdiag.bin petdiag4k.bin

Slothie's diagnostics suitable for a 4K EPROM attached.

Colin.
Attached Files
File Type: zip petdiag_02a_4k.zip (5.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 9:44 am   #31
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Well, that's your IT experience coming to the fore now. I would not have known there was a way to do that from the Windows command line.

Glad that's working for you. I should say though that this will only work in UD9 position in a directly fitted 4K 2532, not in a directly fitted 4K 2732, due to a difference in the pinouts.
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 10:38 am   #32
ScottishColin
Octode

Yes, well, all those years working with CONFIG.SYS and DOS batch files came in handy.

The /B is important as it tells the COPY command that it's a binary file you're working with, otherwise it will try to copy the file as an ASCII file and potentially truncate the files before copying.

Colin.
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 10:49 am   #33
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I'm not sure which version of Slothie's Petdiag code you put into that package, there was a first version and a second version but because we needed it in a hurry and I rushed him a bit, Slothie forgot to change the version number which is displayed on the 'splash line' in the second version.

You could amuse yourself by finding the splash line message in the code and altering that one byte so that the newer version has an appropriate suffix. 'b' rather than 'a', I would expect it should be. Bear in mind that the message will probably be stored in the code as PETscii, not ASCII.

Your first introduction to EPROM hackery.
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 11:10 am   #34
ScottishColin
Octode

It's a later version. I sent a PM to Solthie who pointed me at version 2a here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...15#post1415415

Colin.
Closed Thread