UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2022, 10:50 am   #41
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Medium Wave Radio Stations.

It is indeed a dying breed. However, if one is prepared to put some effort in, the rewards, the stations, can be brought in. I have two long wire aerials, one to my house and one to my workshop, plus a Wellbrook loop aerial currently connected to my workshop. I'm able to receive about a dozen MW stations in listenable quality. Of course a good, sensitive radio helps as well. So, a good aerial and a good set is the answer, don't expect good results on a portable - depending on the location of course.
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 1:17 pm   #42
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
MW is almost dead here with only Smooth Radio on 1260 and Radio Wales consigned to history recently, it's time for a pantry TX.
A similar experience for me a little to the south of Wrexham. A few weeks ago however on the 6th July this year I ran an experiment by switching off every digital and SMPS gadget in the house. I then put 50 foot long wires on my Murphy 192 and other sets and what a revelation! Lots of stations during the day and I was no longer a bit jaded with my AM only sets. I do have a Gizmo modulator for everyday use. Caroline which would now be my favorite AM station is still unlistenable here unfortunately.

On reflection could there been ideal atmospheric conditions that day?

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 4:13 pm   #43
lightning
Heptode

Yes l think l was a little unfair writing off MW after only experimenting in a poor signal area with just about the smallest MW pocket radio ever made, a Sony 1R-81
Old 5th Oct 2022, 9:25 am   #44
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

You can use the directional properties of the ferrite rod aerials used in most portable radios to null out a lot of local electrical interference or at least reduce it.
This is what I do when listening to Long and Medium wave AM stations.
Closed Thread