UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2012, 6:23 pm   #1
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Mystery TV (Philips 485U)

Hello all

I went co collect my first 405-line TV today (much to the chagrin of my mother!). It seems in pretty good nick, overall. Some scuffs and marks and the back cover is a bit damaged but restoreable overall.

That said, it doesn't have any manufacturer markings on it, so I've no idea what it is!

Just three things:
1) What make and model is it?
2) Roughly what year is it from?
3) Does anyone have any circuit information for this set (once it's been identified). My build of Darius' 405 converter is in progress (some parts have been ordered), but I'd like to at least replace any out of spec resistors and capacitors as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Aidan Lunn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0042[1].jpg
Views:	517
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	74222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0043[1].jpg
Views:	512
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	74223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0044[1].jpg
Views:	455
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	74224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0045[1].jpg
Views:	470
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	74225  
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 6:34 pm   #2
jayceebee
Heptode

Default Re: Mystery TV

From the picture of the back cover I would say Philips but not a model I know.

Edit: Just found this, looks like a Philips 485U from 1949, See here http://www.thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/philips/philips.htm

Good luck with it, nice Xmas present.

Last edited by jayceebee; 22nd Dec 2012 at 6:42 pm.
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 6:43 pm   #3
Panrock
Nonode

Philips 485U ?

http://www.thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/philips/philips.htm
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 11:16 pm   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

If one of those front controls has a bowden cable to the focus magnet, I know the table model.

Peter
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 11:47 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I think it uses the B8A Mullard 100m/a series valves and voltage doubler [EY51] EHT rectifiers. Not the easiest of restorations due to cramped, rather strange, unfamiliar looking components. J.
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 12:00 pm   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

I agree with John, you would be better off with a more simple set for a first restoration, such as one of the single channel Pye sets. These are a rather strange design (typical Philips), the thought of Bowden cables being employed is a scary prospect. Having restored a Philips monoknob radio, I can confirm these are a real challenge!

Mark
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 5:36 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Service data is in the early RTVSbooks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 485U.pdf (441.0 KB, 284 views)
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Dec 2012, 8:42 pm   #8
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Not the easiest of restorations due to cramped, rather strange, unfamiliar looking components
On first impressions, conditions did look a little cramped compared to what I'm used to, but I got used to its conditions.

Without the circuit diagram to hand at the time, I was able to name probably about 75-80% of components/sections - the only ones I really struggled with were some of the valves near the back of the TV - CH42s and UL42s I take it the ULs are line output valves?

Speaking of struggling, I've looked around the set and I'm not entirely sure of how to remove the chassis. It seems there are 4 screws on the ceiling of the speaker compartment that should be removed, but then what? I did examine the chassis thoroughly and it appears that the only other screws to remove in order to remove the chassis are the ones on the metal plate around the tube neck.

I did begin to remove these but as soon as the tube started dropping, I put those two screws back where they were! Does the tube drop a bit or does it completely come out this way?

First jobs:

Get chassis out
Replace that plug lead - a lot of nicks in it where silver cabling is exposed.
Clean inside set - as Harold Steptoe would say "That's not dust, that's bleedin' topsoil. We won't need a duster, we'll need a plough!"

Then the electronic and then cabinet restoration!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0050[1].jpg
Views:	352
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	74309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0055[1].jpg
Views:	291
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	74310  
Old 24th Dec 2012, 8:50 pm   #9
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
I agree with John, you would be better off with a more simple set for a first restoration, such as one of the single channel Pye sets
This set was the only one readily available as I found it in a junk shop here in Sheffield. I always either get outbid on sets or they are too far away.

Probably not the best set to begin on - the only bit that really makes me think it'll be a struggle is the use of Bowden cables*, but I'm confident! And it's my best opportunity at a first shot.

*From their use in zoom lenses on OB camera lenses (for focus, zoom etc), I know to some extent what they can be like when acting up - usually quite sluggish, in my experience.
Old 25th Dec 2012, 12:00 am   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm a bit curious to see a picture of the model number plate on the chassis. Would it be possible to post one? It may help in determining where this set was manufactured.
Old 27th Dec 2012, 12:01 am   #11
AidanLunn
Heptode

Actually, looking at the pictures of a 385T over on VRAT, it would just appear that the chassis can't be removed without removing the tube, too.

Is there definitely a way of removing the chassis leaving the tube inside the cabinet or not?

If not, am I best working on the set with the chassis still in?
Old 27th Dec 2012, 12:20 am   #12
Refugee
Dekatron

I can't see above the tube in the photo but I have a feeling that there will be a couple more screws or nuts at the top of the tube.
With them removed the chassis and tube should slide back so that the speaker wires can be disconnected and the cabinet put to one side.
Old 27th Dec 2012, 12:29 am   #13
AidanLunn
Heptode

There were some screws that screwed directly into the cabinet on the above left and above right of the tube, but these looked like they were more to do with the construction of the cabinet.

Incidentally, a picture of the tube inside this set is available on the forum's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...count=2&ref=nf
Old 27th Dec 2012, 12:47 am   #14
Refugee
Dekatron

I would expect there to be screws that go through the cabinet floor into the under side of the chassis.
They used to have to come out for cleaning of the tube and the inside of the safety glass about once a year. Often there would be little or no other servicing to do.
It should be quite easy.
Old 29th Dec 2012, 5:01 pm   #15
AidanLunn
Heptode

Hello Maarten.

Type: 485U/15
(Serial) No. M 2866

some other number: 28700780
Old 29th Dec 2012, 6:14 pm   #16
AidanLunn
Heptode

I have managed to at least hoover most of the chassis - there are some nooks and crannies that are inaccessible with the chassis still in.

I have unscrewed the lat two screws underneath to get the chassis out - the chassis is now moving a bit but it's still not actually coming out.

The TV had been got at by a bodger before - across the live side fuse clips was a piece of wire - duly taken out by myself on sight.

One of the live side fuse clips has begun to come apart, so that and a new mains lead are needed in addition to a new back cover and tube rear cover (fitted over the back cover to cover the cathode side of the tube completely).

No valves appear to have lost their vacuum.

So, to get to the next stage there is still this niggling problem of working out how to get the chassis out - there are two visible screws on the inside front of the cabinet that appear to attach to the bezel.

Are these the last two screws to remove to get the chassis out?
Old 30th Dec 2012, 1:49 pm   #17
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Manufactured at Philips New Road Mitcham, now sadly demolished. J.

PS I have just checked my service data and cannot find the chassis removal details. My guess is that the whole chassis complete with baseboard and tube, slides out.
The chances are the LOPT and tube will be OK. There are THREE 100m/a heater chains in parallel with the .3amp PZ30 rectifier. Worth noting if you have weird heater problems.
The receiver reflects the Dutch origins of the Philips Company.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 30th Dec 2012 at 2:00 pm. Reason: Information added.
Old 30th Dec 2012, 5:48 pm   #18
Maarten
Dekatron

Indeed. Dutch origins as far as the design is concerned, but manufactured in Mitcham as hks said. This is indicated by the letter M in front of the serial number. /15 behind the model number indicates destination Great Britain (where else?).
Old 31st Dec 2012, 1:22 am   #19
jay_oldstuff
Octode

AidanLunn I'm only over the hill from you, (Hyde not far from Glossop) If you are struggling with the set feel free to bring it over, as it's your first proper tv I'll help you get first light. At least that way we can see what the set will need.

Jay
Old 31st Dec 2012, 8:35 pm   #20
AidanLunn
Heptode

Thank you for the kind offer, Jay, but it's not really practical as I don't have my own car at the moment.

As far as struggling goes at the moment, it's just working out how to get the chassis out of the set.

You know that feeling where you know it's going to be the simplest, most glaringly obvious thing all along, but you didn't even see it for ages?
Closed Thread